• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Okay, folks, here's where we rant about cartridges we hate. I'll start.

7.62x40: Created solely as an attempt to get 7.62x39 performance out of an AR platform without changing the magazines. Why on Earth anyone thought this would be a good idea is beyond me. If you want 7.62x39 performance, here's a novel idea: shoot 7.62x39. It is cheap and plentiful (I can't even find x40 ammo for sale).

"But 7.62x39 ARs are hard to find!" Really? Harder to find than rifles built for this stupid cartridge? And what's to stop you from just shooting a regular AK chambered for x39? Wouldn't that be the most obvious solution to this non-existant problem?

"But the AK is so innacurate!" No, it isn't. The x39 cartrige is 95% of the AK innacuracy problem. When Ivan switched over to 5.45x39 in the AK-74, the accuracy improved dramatically (not to mention the Dragunov). 7.62x40 will not fix the x39s inherent problems.

"But x39 won't fit in my AR magazines and those x39 AR magazines are expensive!" More expensive than building a proprietary rifle and shooting proprietary, hard-to find ammo? Like I said, it's a stupid idea any way you look at it.

.300 Blackout: Another attempt to get 7.62 performance out of AR magazines, only this time with thought given to silencers. There are two loads for this round: supersonic and subsonic. The supersonic suffers from all the same faults as 7.62x40, and the cartriges cost about $1 a round. The subsonic is loved by its users for it's low noise when used with silencers. What they ignore is the fact that the ballistics of this round suck a fat one. It also has a max range of 200 meters. Again, if that's the kind of range you are comfortable having, why not go with the AK? Since you probably reload if you shoot this round, why not just down-load a 7.62x39 to sub-sonic levels and save an ass-load of money? Even if you need to lighten the bolt carrier to do so, the project will still costs WAY less than buying a .300 upper and firing $1/cartridge ammo through it.

In fact, if you want the power of a .30 bullet in an AR platform, why not go with the AR-10? Expensive as they are, they're still cheaper than the .300 option and you get a far superior round. Want subsonic? Again, down-load a .308. I think I'll pass on the .300 Blackout.

.25 ACP: This cartridge once had a purpose. Way back in the day, rimfire ammo wasn't as reliable as centerfire. It still isn't, but the gap has closed so much it doesn't make much of a differnce anymore, especially when using high-quality stuff. .22LR is much cheaper and actually has better performance. .32 and .380 are even better and modern mouse-guns chambered for them are far superior to old ones chambered in .25. As much as I love guns and hate to see famous cartridge die, this one certainly deserves it.

.17 HMR: Here's a conversation I'm sure actually happened:

The Boss: "Hey guys, all these other gun businesses have their own cartriges, and we don't, so I had this idea, and feel free to tell me if it's a bad one. The .22LR is deservedly the most popular cartridge in the world. It's great for plinking, practice, and even hunting. Everyone seems to love it. Well, (and here's where it gets crazy!), let's make a cartridge to compete against it! Whadday guys think?!"

Spineless worker drones: "Uhh, mmm, yeah, boss! We'll get to it right away!"

This over-priced cartrige just doesn't offer enough advantages over .22 lr for plinking to justify the price, and offers NO advantages over .22 Magnum for hunting. Pass.

Okay, now your turn.
    Venture Surplus ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was with you up until the 17 comments. The accuracy of the 17 IMO is better than the 22mag. And the ammo is about the same price. I paid around $225 for my rifle, cheaper than the 22 mag, and pay the same price for ammo, and get better accuracy with the same or better knock down. I wouldn't call that a waste of time or money. Those ballistic tips are awesome for pretty much anything up to a coyote. Any bigger and you want a larger round.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Hey, to each their own. I personally love the .300 Blackout. I have killed over 100 hogs using it with the majority dropping right in their tracks. I like having a .30 caliber round that I can use in an AR platform without changing a lot of parts. I like the fact that I can keep all of my same cheek weld, aim points etc... that I use on my other ARs. The ballistics are different and that's exactly why they are as popular as they are. An AK will never match the accuracy of a properly built .300 Blackout. The AR-10 option is there but you will never get the accuracy out of an AR-10 that you will out of a nice bolt action .308 that can be obtained easily for less than half the cost of an AR-10 (Howa anyone?) and at that the .308 is an entirely different machine built for an entirely different purpose. Just because a round happens to fall into the .30 caliber range does not mean that it was built with the same purpose in mind as all of the others. Using your logic one should only need a 30-30 or an AK for everything.

Also, the .17 HMR is just a bad ass little round. It's lightning fast, has a very flat trajectory and doesn't rip meat to shreds. After spending most of my squirrel hunting life using a .22 mag the .17 has completely taken it's place. It's also the perfect ground hog/prairie dog round.

There are definitely rounds out there without merit whatsoever and the others you mentioned fit that category IMO but to add these two to your list due to your personal preference and for never having owned one is pure _________.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Hey, to each their own. I personally love the .300 Blackout. I have killed over 100 hogs using it with the majority dropping right in their tracks. I like having a .30 caliber round that I can use in an AR platform without changing a lot of parts. I like the fact that I can keep all of my same cheek weld, aim points etc... that I use on my other ARs. The ballistics are different and that's exactly why they are as popular as they are. An AK will never match the accuracy of a properly built .300 Blackout. The AR-10 option is there but you will never get the accuracy out of an AR-10 that you will out of a nice bolt action .308 that can be obtained easily for less than half the cost of an AR-10 (Howa anyone?) and at that the .308 is an entirely different machine built for an entirely different purpose. Just because a round happens to fall into the .30 caliber range does not mean that it was built with the same purpose in mind as all of the others. Using your logic one should only need a 30-30 or an AK for everything.

Also, the .17 HMR is just a bad ass little round. It's lightning fast, has a very flat trajectory and doesn't rip meat to shreds. After spending most of my squirrel hunting life using a .22 mag the .17 has completely taken it's place. It's also the perfect ground hog/prairie dog round.

There are definitely rounds out there without merit whatsoever and the others you mentioned fit that category IMO but to add these two to your list due to your personal preference and for never having owned one is pure _________.

Preach it. Both the 300 and 17 serve their purpose very well.
    The 300 gives better punch in a smaller package than the m4 and fulfills the need for the military to step up in power without significant change in inventory.
    The 17 is flatter and faster than my 22 mag will ever be. I don't own one but if I was still up in Lubbock shooing prairie dogs I'd own one for sure.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The .45 GAP strikes me as a waste of time. The only reason the cartridge exists is to make a slightly more compact pistol. The round is 1/8" shorter than a .45ACP. Big deal!

The 10mm auto gets in the WTF category, too. We have the .40 cal which is widely accepted and the 10mm has roughly the same performance. 10mm ammo is scarce and expensive and I just gotta wonder why we mess with it. I really don't need to argue this case as the company that made the "Bren 10" went bust. What's the point of the 10mm?

Flash

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    The .45 GAP strikes me as a waste of time. The only reason the cartridge exists is to make a slightly more compact pistol. The round is 1/8" shorter than a .45ACP. Big deal!

The 10mm auto gets in the WTF category, too. We have the .40 cal which is widely accepted and the 10mm has roughly the same performance. 10mm ammo is scarce and expensive and I just gotta wonder why we mess with it. I really don't need to argue this case as the company that made the "Bren 10" went bust. What's the point of the 10mm?

Flash

Flash

FYI 10mm was BEFORE .40.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    FYI 10mm was BEFORE .40.

This is 2012. Why is the 10mm still hanging on? The Sony Betamax competed with the VHS tape format and lost. How many Beta format tapes do you see now? There are folks who swear the 10mm is the best cartridge ever made. The market doesn't agree.

Flash

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    If it aint broke dont fix it, if you want to go by that mentality. The .40 was produced as a result of people complaining of the snappiness and recoil of the round. I personally hate the .40.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    10mm is usually loaded down to near .40 levels. Full power 10 is actually a useful hunting cartridge, but IMO overpowered for self defense. Now .40 S&W... There's a caliber that needs to die. As a defensive round, it does nothing 9mm won't, but with much lower capacity. It's progeny the .357 Sig is worse - 9mm +p+ performance with the handicapped capacity of the parent .40 cartridge. On .300 BLK, what, besides reduced rangeand ease of suppressing, does it offer that .223 doesn't?

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Mr. Flash, having just acquired a G20c, I gotta say it's hanging on because it's freaking AWESOME. It makes the old gray hairs on my chest turn brown and stand up. It's like Rogaine, Grecian Formula 16 and a testosterone booster in one.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    FYI 10mm was BEFORE .40.

This is 2012. Why is the 10mm still hanging on? The Sony Betamax competed with the VHS tape format and lost. How many Beta format tapes do you see now? There are folks who swear the 10mm is the best cartridge ever made. The market doesn't agree.

Flash

Its 2012; What's VHS?

10mm is still highly viable in the gamer world. It's not always easy hitting major in a .40 short and weak, and 10mm does it nicely. Same with .38 super.

Everything has a niche, otherwise it would be obsolete.

Sounds like the .45GAP should de-throne because it does everything the .45ACP is doing, but in a smaller package.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    10mm is usually loaded down to near .40 levels. Full power 10 is actually a useful hunting cartridge, but IMO overpowered for self defense. Now .40 S&W... There's a caliber that needs to die. As a defensive round, it does nothing 9mm won't, but with much lower capacity. It's progeny the .357 Sig is worse - 9mm +p+ performance with the handicapped capacity of the parent .40 cartridge. On .300 BLK, what, besides reduced rangeand ease of suppressing, does it offer that .223 doesn't?

A 220gr payload of whoopass and it is still viable out of extremely short barrels.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Subsonic .22 rimfire.

Okay, okay, now it's my turn to get defensive. The subsonic .22 rimfire is very cool if you want to shoot suppressed. It is not cost prohibitive like previously mentioned suppressor cartridges and does not require a complete retro-fitting of an existing platform. It has a niche.

Top Bottom