• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • will083031

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    san antonio
    I own a black 7 shot 870 express and read a little about problems with them. My question is since I like the 870 express 7 shots layout the best because it's simple, mag tube's flush with barrel, plain bead sight and such. Can I
    buy this gun, open it up, polish the bolt and chamber have the gun blasted and duracoated in solid black, replace the mag spring with a Wolff version, replace the trigger assembly/guard with the metal variety and call it a hell of a gun like one would an 870p? How much would all this cost as opposed to just buying a 870P?

Texas SOT

mucho12ga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Houston
    From my experience, I would say not really. You can just buy the heavy shell carrier spring for more reliable feeding with heavy ammo and the police sear spring if you want a heavier trigger pull. Instead of buying a whole new metal trigger guard and then trying to sell the plastic one to make some money back. As said before the plastic will last as long as the metal ones.

The wolff extra power spring I would skip for now. While a more powerful spring seems like a good idea it can sometimes be too powerful and start double feeding if your shell stop can not compensate the extra power. You then have to cut it anyways until it feeds reliably or run a lot of rounds to break it in. I would tick with the factory spring.

I've been there and done that. Started with an 870 Tactical, added the metal police trigger gaurd, bolt with steel extractor, old police style forend, compstock, light, vang safety and follower, polished the bolt and carrier yadda yadda yadda.

Looks great but honestly a plain jane 870 is fine. A light attachment is the only thing I would recommend and lots and lots of different ammo to buy and shoot. Test what it likes first, stick with that and if you see issues then upgrade if needed.

I have a speed feed 3 for the 870 for sale if you are looking for a pistol grip stock btw.

chad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Houston
    The 870 Express is definitely worth customizing. I bought an 870 Express Tactical with the gray bead-blast finish and a door breacher on the end. A Knoxx Stock is a great addition if you like having the pistol grip option, it reduces recoil and allows you to adjust the length of the stock to your liking. Mesa Tactical also makes some good stuff, I'd recommend you check them out as well. Polishing the working components never hurts, but I would stick with the stock magazine spring. I've got a few hundred rounds through mine, and I've never had any problems with feeding, so unless it's giving you issues, that might be some money you can save.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    If you have a magazine extender, especially if it is "factory installed" it is worth the $20 or less to look into replacing the spring and follower .....

Top Bottom