• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 31BBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Ok so I would like to start building my own AR-15 from the ground up soon, but don't know much about what is out there that is good and what the decent prices would be. So I'm calling on all of you to help me learn, maybe give me some links to sites that would be of some help.

Thanks,
    Racca
    Guns International

smax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Personally, I'd go CMMG bargain bin then add Magpul furniture/accessories. Sure, you're not building it yourself from the bottom up, but you get a good rifle for a good price.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I buy stuff from rguns.net. I like their prices and my two ARs have turned out great so far. ;)

Love the Magpul stuff, too. MOE handguard (and pistol grip) for the win!

If you need help with assembly, let me know. I'm willing to meet you up and give a hand.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nowadays, there isn't a whole lot of money to be saved in putting an AR together, if you do it the right way. There are a few things like torquing on the barrel nut that really need to be done with the proper receiver vise block, otherwise you risk torquing, damaging, and possibly destroying the receiver. With cost of proper tools, you end up being back to full retail on the gun for at least the first one. If you build several, you could save a few bucks. If you mainly want to build one for the fun of it, nothing wrong with that and it's a great way to learn more about the inner workings of the gun. I'd highly recommend watching Brownell's video series on building the AR from the ground up, as it will walk you through every single thing:

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

The Magpul furniture and accessories are very cost effective, and they are good quality components. There are about a million other aftermarket options as well. The sky's the limit. ;)

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Knowing what you want is the biggest issue.

Gas systems- Mid-length, carbine, or rifle.
    Barrel weight- HBAR, Lightweight, or Govt.
    Barrel length- 14.5 perm to 16, 16, 18, 20.
    Barrel profile- CAR, M4.
    Accessories- Grips, handguards, sights, stocks, optics.

IMO the AR15 should be a purpose built rifle. I honestly believe this is why people end up with more than one. With the market the way it is, a good quality complete rifle is much cheaper. ARFcom seems to like the Spikes offerings and they are very reasonably priced. There also seems to be a lot of manufacturers of various parts as well. Barrels, uppers, lowers, LPKs, ect..... So building one you want from the ground up can be done easily now, just depends on what you want and how much you want to pay for it.

My first ended up as a Midlength, 14.5" with a perm attached FH to get the full 16" of length. It has a YHM drop in handguard and a lot of Magpul stuff thrown on.

can3.jpg

My other one is a STAG 16" barrel with a standard A2 FH that brings the length to about 17". It is my simple KISS rifle. I have since put a A2 carry handle on it.

AR3-1.jpg

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As to what Sig_Fiend said, for your first go round you might want to start with a barreled upper, or even a complete upper. Then build from a stripped lower, add hand guards or FF fore end or what ever you are going for. That will not require any special tools except maybe the stock nut spanner wrench. About $5 If you stick with quality components, then you will probably not gain any cost savings over a name brand completed rifle, but you'll have it the way you want it.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Yep, it's hard to beat Bravo Company, Daniel Defense and Spikes Tactical's pre-built offerings once you add in all the tools you need or pay a gun smith to assemble it.

Unless you have a very specific parts build in mind, I'd recommend any of the above companies.

As for specific parts recommendations, I higly recommend going as light weight a build as possible with a mid-length gas system.

Daniel Defense 14.5" CHF Light Weight Mid-length is what I used for a recent build. Also, as mentioned by others, Magpul accessories are a quality bargain.

Look into FailZero / Spikes Tactical nickel boron coated BCG for extra reliability and ease of cleaning.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I buy stuff from rguns.net. I like their prices and my two ARs have turned out great so far. ;)

Um yeah, so I went to that site and let me tell you what I like... There's these two lowers that have the best furniture. hmm I don't know that my wife would approve of the purchase but its only $10.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom