Patriot Mobile

Would this be a good starter rifle for TX deer ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How many of us have taken a formal shooting class? How many of us have taken a class from say a Marine ... firearms instructor?
    I have done both, multiple times. I agree with Dawico. Hunter safety course and a mentor is enough.

Question, though, for Shady.

It will be for 17 year old teen that has only shot an AR or a 22 rifle and a 12Ga shotgun. ...
    At the price ...

Is price a huge concern? If this 17-year-old already has access to an AR and is comfortable and familiar with it then there are any number of AR configurations that would work well for this purpose. If they don't like hunting, it's not a big deal to sell an upper at a minimal loss or, potentially, a profit depending on future market trends.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Is price a huge concern? If this 17-year-old already has access to an AR and is comfortable and familiar with it then there are any number of AR configurations that would work well for this purpose. If they don't like hunting, it's not a big deal to sell an upper at a minimal loss or, potentially, a profit depending on future market trends.
    I agree. A 300 BO upper would fit the bill and can be had fairly cheap.

If they want to go "hunting rifle" I would suggest a .243. Cheaper ammo and a little less recoil.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I agree. A 300 BO upper would fit the bill and can be had fairly cheap.

If they want to go "hunting rifle" I would suggest a .243. Cheaper ammo and a little less recoil.

I have plenty of family who have taken many a deer with .223 from an AR (proper ammo is a good idea). 300 BLK is not worth it unless you have a suppressor.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Price is not a huge concern other than spending 2K on a rifle that then sits in the closet because he did not care for the actual "hunt" part of hunting.

For the cost of the gun posted 300 bucks the cost of converting/scoping a AR to do the job just does not seem worth it over a dedicated rifle that will be sighted in and then left that way.

And ya his first few trips will be with a mentor and classes. If he wants one on one training he can decide that after a few outings.

I have done both, multiple times. I agree with Dawico. Hunter safety course and a mentor is enough.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I was trained by the late Chris Kyle, before shooting my first deer. I missed and my mechanic had to take the shot with his .45

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    order was placed and I guess it must have been a good deal they are out of stock now.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    the 270 is a nice flat shooter but in my experience "can be" too light of a caliber for North American White Tail Deer. My best friend who taught me how to deer hunt over 20 years ago had to shoot a 12 pointer THREE TIMES with the 270 Ruger he carried. Again and again over the years I watched him take deer with many struggles using that rifle. OTOH I was dropping everything that moved using mostly one shot kills with a 30.O6. I didn't trade up to the Winchester Ballistic tip until the end of my seasons in Georgia came to an end.

With more than 4 decades of shooting under my belt I can say without a doubt that most rifles in 30 plus calibers are known deer killers. Your results may vary.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    the 270 is a nice flat shooter but in my experience "can be" too light of a caliber for North American White Tail Deer. My best friend who taught me how to deer hunt over 20 years ago had to shoot a 12 pointer THREE TIMES with the 270 Ruger he carried. Again and again over the years I watched him take deer with many struggles using that rifle. OTOH I was dropping everything that moved using mostly one shot kills with a 30.O6. I didn't trade up to the Winchester Ballistic tip until the end of my seasons in Georgia came to an end.

With more than 4 decades of shooting under my belt I can say without a doubt that most rifles in 30 plus calibers are known deer killers. Your results may vary.
    Sounds like poor bullet choice or shot placement to me. The .270 is more than adequate for White Tails.

People take them with .22 LRs.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Them white tails is some tough animals to kill with that super tough hide, thick bone, and Kevlar vest.

.270 is more than enough for a white tail. If it's not, the shooter is the issue.

30/06 is way more than is needed.

Seems an awful lot of people like to blame a caliber known for taking deer quickly and humanely for very uncommon issues.

Then they shoot it with a 300 win mag and the softest bullets they can find, thinking they've found the holy grail because they can ruin more meat than a .243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Sounds like poor bullet choice or shot placement to me. The .270 is more than adequate for White Tails.

People take them with .22 LRs.

Of course it is. They wouldn't sell so many if it wasn't. I covered that by stating that your results may vary. But after watching a National Champion Bowman and far more experienced rifleman plug those damn things with multiple rounds I made damn sure not to make it my first rifle. I'm still shooting the same 30.O6 years later and getting better at longer distances.

When he started going to Kansas around 15 years ago he knew he was going to be shooting far far longer distances and against some very windy weather. He was looking at the 25WSM but had asked us if he should go with the larger 30WSM we told him it was a no brainer. He's been successful each year and has mounted three HUGE bucks with that rifle.

There are lists of calibers that are solving problems we don't have and for me personally, when hunting white tail, its anything smaller than the 30.O6. Just one guys opinion.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Most "Texas whitetail calibers" are adequate, especially at 100 yds. if the hunter hits it right. In the hill country (short range, 100 yds. +/-) s 30-30. etc. is all ya' need. If you're hunting in West Texas, at longer ranges, more is probably necessary.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If your constantly late for work you have two choices. But a hot rod, or just leave the house on time.

I find leaving the house on time to be the better choice, and when it comes to deer just placing my shots does the trick.

If o we're going to use any /06 cartridge, it would be a 25/06.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Course, I believe that anything smaller than .50 BMG is solving a problem that simply doesn't exist. A .50 will handle any game I plan to hunt.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom