• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    I been working my butt of to get the seating die to be set on exactly what my Hornady manual calls for .
    1.060 to be exact for 124 grn, Hornady XTP HP, I don't know if I got a bad seating die or they are not made that precise and Im worring about a non issue matter but.
    Brand New Dillon 550 here and you can set it to a exact depth and start loading checking some of my loads I find 1.066 to 1.051 a 0,015 variance.
    I have done everything I can think of to make this die stay where I set it, I have had it good and tight and then tight but not too tight because if you own a Dillon you already know the retaining nuts are pot metal and easily stripped.
    What am I over looking here I even thought maybe it was the primer depth but nope they all look the same good and flat, I even went so far as to check the bullet and case lengths before I realized that shouldn't matter, now what could make a difference is the thickness of the bullets, at the point,just thought of that while typing this but my question goes back to some loading manuals calling for min/max COAL, maybe this is why ? hell I don't know.
    What's your thoughts ? would you shoot these ?
    Best/joe
    PS and to be truthful with you I probably been shooting them like this since I got this Dillon, just caught it today and while the variance may very well be neglible, I m learning and ask you men that been loading awhile.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I can usually stay within .006 on my Dillon. Your shell plate could be a bit too loose. Or you may also have a seating die that is not correct for your bullet profile. With Dillon dies you can flip the insert. One side is for round nose and the other for flat point.

You will also find the OAL on the first couple rounds to vary more than the rest. You need cases in all stations before the the pressure is consistent on the shell plate.

And I personally would shoot them as long as you are not near max charge weight.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I can usually stay within .006 on my Dillon. Your shell plate could be a bit too loose. Or you may also have a seating die that is not correct for your bullet profile. With Dillon dies you can flip the insert. One side is for round nose and the other for flat point.

You will also find the OAL on the first couple rounds to vary more than the rest. You need cases in all stations before the the pressure is consistent on the shell plate.

And I personally would shoot them as long as you are not near max charge weight.

ditto on the last sentence.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you are seating and crimping on the same die, different case lengths can cause some variation in OAL.

If the case is longer it may crimp before the bullet is completely seated causing a slightly longer OAL. Or vice versa.

I don't trim or sort handgun brass, I'm sure I'm running the same variations but see no issue unless you are shooting for extreme consistency or at max charge.

I'd shoot'em.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country

Thanks for your opinion, I had it set for round and flipped it to flat did not seem to make a difference, for this load >
    Thanks........................best/joel

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country

Now that is good advice. I will make sure I have every station loaded and test again inn the morning, because I aint been doing that.
    Best/joe
    After I found the variance I started running them through one at a time, and all were different, confusing , because you would think when something that mechanical was locked in place tightly they would be uniform.
    Best/joe

Last edited:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    My Dillon shell plate is just loose enough to enable easy rotation. You can also but some scotch tape on the rails of the tool head to make it tighter in its slot. Also there are other seating dies available that may work better for you unless you are using a Square Deal press which uses proprietary dies.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Shoot them and don't worry about a small variation in COAL. The seating die sits on the bullet in a different place than your calipers.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    If you are seating and crimping on the same die, different case lengths can cause some variation in OAL.

If the case is longer it may crimp before the bullet is completely seated causing a slightly longer OAL. Or vice versa.

I don't trim or sort handgun brass, I'm sure I'm running the same variations but see no issue unless you are shooting for extreme consistency or at max charge.

I'd shoot'em.

No the seating die and crimp die are separate...............best/joe

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    My Dillon shell plate is just loose enough to enable easy rotation. You can also but some scotch tape on the rails of the tool head to make it tighter in its slot. Also there are other seating dies available that may work better for you unless you are using a Square Deal press which uses proprietary dies.

I got the shell plate adjusted per Dillons instructions, not loose but not tight and should firmly snap in place from station to station I have looked at that, was my first thought.
    Best/joe

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Shoot them. +/- .005 is expected for that setup without any changes. Difference in handgun ammo, negligible under most circumstances, including yours. Want better? Get a competition seating die from redding, rcbs, or forstner

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom