• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Spend your money directly to help VETs pay or buy them and their families groceries, or directly to their landlord or or mortgage company/insurance/car payments or something they need help with, (I'm not big on giving them cash, unless I personally know them) but for don't give anything to organized charities. Charities are in their so called non profit business first to help themselves and mostly/generally only a small percentage goes to help the stated cause whether it be for VETs or whatever.

It's quite easy to find VETs to help - if that's what you really want to put a little effort and money into.

If you approach helping VETs in this manner, 100% of your dollars will go to help VETs and their families.

IME, this ignores the fact that an organized collective effort can be leveraged to provide a much greater benefit to many, than most individuals can provide to a few.
    Venture Surplus ad

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    deemus,

Sorry, I didn't state my position clearly enough.

My fault.

I didn't mean that we/you should wholly fund a rent/mortgage payment, just help with it, with whatever you care to give.

As must be obvious, I've very skeptical of charities.

Why?

I've seen the inner workings of some, thus my loss of faith in all.

Is this fair?

Perhaps not, but I know if I help someone directly, 100% of the money helps them and doesn't go to help pay for CEO/Executive status pay/perks and things that the good faith of those giving don't support.

Look at United Way, Red Cross and a host of other charities that fall short of helping the intended, but they, the charities get theirs.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Anybody that contributes to a charity without checking them out first is naive. WWP has had a poor record for some time now. Fisher House, for example, spends 91% of all donations to benefit veterans and their families. And others do even better. WWP has been pathetic in this regard. Charity Navigator is your friend:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=531#.VuQi2L3-viQ

With BILLIONS flowing in you can sure buy a lot of drinks at those ultra vacation spots. I'll bet in the end that CEO will see in the inside of a jail.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Yet, people persist in excusing charities with a P.T. Barnum-esque naïveté.

But Charity Navigator couldn't possibly be untrustworthy, eh?

Sorry, you that trust in these organizations and those who boldly proclaim - This, This, This one is trustworthy. Yessiree Bob!

(Psssst, hey, we said you were trustworthy, now pay up.)

Yes, when it comes to the big bucks charities get to squander, er, I mean, help unfortunates with, my cynicism meter pegs way the hell up there.

There's no denying though, if you want to pat yourself on the back and feel good, because you the good Samaritan helped, well, by all means, it's most easy to place your trust in some faceless charity who'll gladly accept your hard earned moola to, ah, help those unfortunates. Yeah, yeah that's it. Help them, yep.

Who's to say the charity big shots can't do their best charity work in some exotically tropical, umbrella-ed rum drink, hot chick, locale?

Who indeed?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Yet, people persist in excusing charities with a P.T. Barnum-esque naïveté.

But Charity Navigator couldn't possibly be untrustworthy, eh?

Perhaps you should do some research before you post. The source of CN's information in income and expenses are the charity's own tax returns (IRS Form 990). If there is a problem it isn't with CN, but with the charity's own tax return.

But since you seem to think all are bad, perhaps you could say why these are, just to name a couple?:

Fisher House Foundation - 91% of expenses go to beneficiaries
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=7585#.VuRdp73-viQ

Navy Seal Foundation - 91.8% of expenses go to beneficiaries
    http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=13076#.VuReCL3-viQ

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    AustinN4,

Sorry old darling, but your statistics remind me of a quote - "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

If you feel comforted by believing what you read, enjoy.

My trust, as you've no doubt noted, in charities and their bolsters, give me a rather dry, caustic laugh.

Whenever, I repeat, big bucks are in the offing, be skeptical, highly so.

I trust none of them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol.

Some people just enjoy making life difficult.

Some aren't willing to do a little bit of research, and some aren't willing to accept that a little bit of research will tell you what you need to know.

As far as the 9% that doesn't make it to the recipients from Fisher House, I'd bet that due to their standing they are able to make deals and get other large organizations/businesses to chip in and more than cover the revenue lost to operating costs. But I haven't researched it yet ;)

Sent from my HAL 9000

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Lol.

Some people just enjoy making life difficult.

Some aren't willing to do a little bit of research, and some aren't willing to accept that a little bit of research will tell you what you need to know.

As far as the 9% that doesn't make it to the recipients from Fisher House, I'd bet that due to their standing they are able to make deals and get other large organizations/businesses to chip in and more than cover the revenue lost to operating costs. But I haven't researched it yet ;)

LOL ... It's a given that defending an ill-advised post takes more effort than the original was ever worth.

Spend a lot more time at the VA than I ever anticipated/wanted to.
    Just hearing over and over again how much a particular Fisher House (on the premises at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center here in Houston), means to these guys and gals, and their families, was enough to convince me where to put my charity dollars ... the research I did confirmed the kudos.

Doubt seriously any solely individual effort is going to match that.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Doubt seriously any solely individual effort is going to match that.

Not even remotely close:

Fisher House

• Families served: More than 27,000 in 2015
    • Daily capacity: 931 families
    • Families served: More than 277,000 since inception
    • Number of lodging days offered: Over 6 million
    • 7,000 students have received $11,000,000 in scholarship awards
    • Over 58,000 airline tickets provided by Hero Miles to service members and their families, worth nearly $88 million

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    We've got a Fisher House over here on Fort Hood. If someone gets checked in to the hospital for a long period of time and thier family lives a ways out, the family can come stay at the fisher house right next door to the hospital. It's a pretty nice place.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Wasn't there an anti-gun incident with the WWP that also turned folks away not long ago?

You mean like the WW project refusing to endorse any second amendment cause or materials? No guns? Parts, etc. they are happy to take your money but that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    You mean like the WW project refusing to endorse any second amendment cause or materials? No guns? Parts, etc. they are happy to take your money but that's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not always. The site I frequented in KY (Kentucky Armory Club) hosted a shoot and took donations a couple of years ago, collecting a tidy sum for the cause. When we tried to donate the money to WWF, they refused it based on the fact that we were a firearms forum. We later changed the name on the donation form, and resubmitted it, and they took it.

Shortly after this was when the rumors started about where the money actually goes.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    As you pointed out, individual effort is going to match that.

Nope, not what I said .. IOW, no individual effort (finding a Vet and giving him money yourself) is going to be able to match the collective effort that the Fisher House effort currently represents.

No edit required to my post, you just have to read it. ;)

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Nope, not what I said .. IOW, no individual effort (finding a Vet and giving him money yourself) is going to be able to match the collective effort that the Fisher House effort currently represents.

No edit required to my post, you just have to read it.

That is what I said also, but I included the examples of what fisher house does.

And it was my posts that needed editing to be clearer.

IOW, no individual effort is going to come close to what they do.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    That is what I said also, but I included the examples of what fisher house does.

And it was my posts that needed editing to be clearer.

IOW, no individual effort is going to come close to what they do.

Exactly ... glad you posted that.
    There are others, but Fisher House is toward the top in my book.

Top Bottom