• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I know that it's something to do with "assault weapons" means that SKS's can't come from certain countries. Particularly Russia. This is why Russian SKS's are the most coveted. This is also why SVT40s cost $1000 here and $200 in Canada. For example the link I provided, those rifles come from I believe Yugoslavia or some other satellite at least. Also it generally with most milsurps they are always finding "caches" in different places. Who knows what that really means. Somehow warehouses of rifles were overlooked? I doubt it but something happens and then they become available for a period of time.
    Gun Zone Deals

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I recently picked up a Russian M21 Sks with no import marks from my FFL. He said he brought it back from Vietnam. Kind of rough, but thought it be nice to keep given its history. All matching except for bolt he said they wouldn't let him bring it back with bolt . Also ended up trading my Smith 642 for a unfired Yugo sks with him my first Sks's

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Albanian SKS's are considered the most rare. I do not know the specific numbers or the exact reasons, but they were made in the fewest numbers except for the East German made ones. They were one of the few satellites to manufacture their own. They are supposedly very well made. I do not know there did seem to be more around before but as I said, they are considered very rare.

Albanian SKS rifles are rare, but I've seen several. Most are usually pretty beat up. Technically, they are known as "July 10 Rifle" with a longer stock and handguard on the gas tube, and AK style charging handle. The magazine is slightly different in the shape visible from the outside. The stock has two compartments with two corresponding holes in the buttplate for cleaning implements instead of the single cleaning kit pocket (all of that stolen from Wikipedia, which is easier than typing it out!).

The East German Karabiner-S AKS is extremely rare. It has a slot cut into back of stock for pull-through sling, similar to the slot in a K98. No storage area in back of stock or storage for cleaning rod under barrel.

Outside of those two, the rarest of rare SKS rifles are the North Korean Type 63 and Vietnamese Type 1.

Of all my SKS rifles, my Tula is the most accurate; but my favorites are my SKS-Ds. I have one with a thumbhole stock and the other has a Monte Carlo stock.

As I said, they are great rifles but it is easy to see why the Kalashnikov quickly replaced them. More compact, lighter, a bit more reliable and definitely more capacity with the standard 30-round box magazine. Still, it shouldn't negate how great of a rifle the Simonov is; its lack of recognition in history has more to do with bad timing than anything else!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Also, according to Yooper John (an excellent source of SKS information!), "Albanian SKS's were manufactured from 1967 to 1979 at the Umgransh Arsenal in Albania. He claims that there were approximately 17,000 made, 11,000 of which are said to have been destroyed, leaving only about 6,000 in existence at this time." That number seems a bit low to me, given that I've seen several at gun shows; but I'll defer to his expertise.

As for the East German rifles, Yooper says "the dates of manufacturer are not known for sure but it is roughly the late 50's into the early 60's. Most of the examples seen in the U.S. are Vietnam era bring backs. Several were imported for a short time into the U.S. Most of these were destroyed after the Berlin Wall came down. This model is called the 'Karabiner-S' or K-S for short. These were made in Government plants in Suhl, Germany."

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    I bought the one in the classified section. It is such a sweet gun! Thank you all so much, I love TGT!

Top Bottom