• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    So I go to open up my laptop and I find this pleasant little spot. To my knowledge, it hasn't been touched in a month. Wtf happened? It won't turn on either. I think someone jacked around with it, broke it and decided not to say anything to me...

0616121552.gif
    Gun Zone Deals

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Looks like liquid got in.

That is the conclusion I am coming to... There was brown sticky stuff surrounding the keyboard, smells like Dr. Pepper.. took the whole thing apart and there is nothing on the motherboard or any other interior parts.. I got the screen to turn on and nothing came up but a bunch of gibberish. I think the hard drive is gone too. $1200 computer gone to shit it looks like...

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Maybe more happened than just the spill - could it have been knocked off the desk when the spill occurred? If the laptop has any sort of video output, and you have access to an external monitor (or a TV if it has a compatible input), see if anything comes up that way. Also, take out the HD and put it in a USB drive carrier and then plug it into another computer and see if everything still appears to be there.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Maybe more happened than just the spill - could it have been knocked off the desk when the spill occurred? If the laptop has any sort of video output, and you have access to an external monitor (or a TV if it has a compatible input), see if anything comes up that way. Also, take out the HD and put it in a USB drive carrier and then plug it into another computer and see if everything still appears to be there.

You could be correct. No one around here is talking and I am getting pretty pissed about it... I'm about to go Sherlok Holmes on everyones ass.

It has HDMI and VGA output on it, I'll give that a try when I get back. Where would one get this Hard-drive usb dock?

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    If liquid got in then your mobo is probably toast but your hard drive should be fine. I have recovered 100% of the data off like 3 laptops that had sh*t spilled in them. I use a program called recover my files works like a champ, though it is a little finicky. It will suck the data off any drive that will spin and is not physically damaged.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    If it turns out that the drive is good, Ill give that a try so I can have some of my files back... I don't really need this laptop but it is nice to have when I am on the go. I dont THINK the board is bad.. I had it out and gave it a good once over, I couldnt find a drop of anything, anywhere on it. visually, the only thing that has seen liquid is the keyboard, which really isnt too bad.

Macshooter: It is a good thing I didn't use that computer for the GIS data! :)

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    You could be correct. No one around here is talking and I am getting pretty pissed about it... I'm about to go Sherlok Holmes on everyones ass.
    "Gonna be some slow singing and flower-bringing when I find out who did this!"

It has HDMI and VGA output on it, I'll give that a try when I get back. Where would one get this Hard-drive usb dock?
    Lots of places; if you have a Best Buy or some other gadget store close by, or an office supply place, you can probably find an external USB enclosure. You just put your drive in it and plug it into a USB port. If your laptop has an eSATA port, and/or a USB 3.0 port, spend a little extra for a compatible enclosure and things will go much quicker if you have to move files around. Good luck...

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    HAH! i have a laptop that wont turn on. When i get a chance to make a run up to ft worth and visit my buddy, its getting some tannerite tech support. Besides, i cant have people peeking on my browsing history

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Before you do that... did you pull the battery and hold the power button down for about a minute to release any static charge? If so, blow that mother up! That way no one will see that you have been checking out E-male's at hotmale-dot-com

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Sounds old.. surprised it has made it this long! I just executed a computer that died that was still operating windows 98...

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Someone spilled beer on my laptop keyboard once. I dried it off and left it alone for 3 weeks to continue drying out.

Miraculously, the blasted thing worked as if nothing had happened. The keys stuck like crazy because of all the dried beer under them, but I think the heat eventually melted it all away because it worked like new again. Eventually had to send it in for warranty when the P, S, ', and . keys wouldn't work anymore about 3 months down the road though.

Top Bottom