• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    I was just looking at Fox News and came across this article.

Virginia's online classes make it easy for out-of-state gun owners to get permits | Fox News

I like the idea of more people with CCW's but this seems way to easy if there are not strings attached.

I went to oninegunclass.com to check it out and it seems legit. You take the course online, print a certificate then contact Virginia State Police for the application. Mail cert. and application then get license. Not sure about the Virginia non-resident fee for the license.

What do you guys think?
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's just an online class, you don't automatically get the license.

What do I think? That there should be no such thing as a license to carry. That the fact that my heart is beating is all the license I should need to carry.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Florida issues non-resident CHLs after paying your fees and providing proof of firearms training (pretty easy stuff). Texas recognizes Florida CHLs so it's an easy way to get a CHL even though you don't qualify in your own state...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Travis County
    I say good for them.

For my CHL class, I had to spend a whole goddamn day listening to some blowhard go on an on about how Magsafe ammo is the best shit ever, the millions of rounds he's fired and how all of our targets suck even though mine was a perfect 250 ragged hole in the x-ring with a 1911 that he had the gall to suggest I didn't know how to operate because my thumb safety stayed on until right before I brought it up to fire.

Yet the process for acquiring a Texas CHL is supposed to be superior? **** that noise. The less time I waste listening to bull shit the better, and obviously the less restriction on carring lawfully the better.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Yeah I saw that. You can just take your class online (which is pretty much how half of all college classes are being administered), and just have to go to a certified instructor for your shooting part....I didn't see they were doing it in Texas...but I did see they were doing it in Virginia......I think eventually, they'll probably just start administering all the classes online....the same way they do defensive driving....

They have a way of making sure you really read and watch the videos...they'll say something random, like tell a story, lets say for instance a guy in a red car....then at the end, during the test, they'll ask you, "in this story, what color was the car the guy was driving?". Works pretty good....I'm guessing CHL instructors won't be too happy about that...they have to be making a killing right now.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I gotta agree, I've done everything from a defensive driving course (for a ticket) to a masters degree completely online and don't see what the academic portion of the Texas CHL course couldn't be done the same way.

Of course there would still have to be the range "qualification" (basically proving that you can safely shoot a pistol), but both my initial and refresher CHL classes were jokes and I got more information from studying the DPS manual than I did the person teaching. As a matter of fact, during my initial class at a local range that I still cannot stand (try and guess which one! ) the "instructor" (and I use that term loosely) taught erroneous information several times during the course. They also showed a PowerPoint presentation during the test to "help" students, which I thought was poor form.

As far as the student knows the basics and can research any questions they may have, why not offer an online version?

Cheers! M2

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Florida issues non-resident CHLs after paying your fees and providing proof of firearms training (pretty easy stuff). Texas recognizes Florida CHLs so it's an easy way to get a CHL even though you don't qualify in your own state...

What do you mean, "even though you don't qualify in your own state..." ?

JimBobKelley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2010
    I guess I did not realize that you could take the class online. I agree that I should not have to take a test shooting or on paper to be allowed to carry. We have the right to carry, period.

I could see how this would be beneficial so that while one waits for the renewal Texas CHL to arrive another non-resident CHL would overlap that.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    The classroom part of the Texas program is the same old stuff every time, over and over, and I agree could be done online. The range portion is a good thing and any time I can go shoot my pistols, I'll go. The Virginia program does seem to be too simple and would leave some question in my mind about the actual profiencency of a person doing their process. I've seen people take the Texas test and make 100, but when they get to the range you wonder if they even know which end of the gun to put the bullets in.

IMHO, if you are a resident of Texas you shouldn't be allowed to carry under an out of state permit. The Texas system may not be perfect, but at least they don't hand out licenses like food stamps, as apparently some states do.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Travis County
    The classroom part of the Texas program is the same old stuff every time, over and over, and I agree could be done online. The range portion is a good thing and any time I can go shoot my pistols, I'll go. The Virginia program does seem to be too simple and would leave some question in my mind about the actual profiencency of a person doing their process. I've seen people take the Texas test and make 100, but when they get to the range you wonder if they even know which end of the gun to put the bullets in.

IMHO, if you are a resident of Texas you shouldn't be allowed to carry under an out of state permit. The Texas system may not be perfect, but at least they don't hand out licenses like food stamps, as apparently some states do.

They shouldn't have to hand out anything. What's wrong with plain old freedom?

MGTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    By the Bay
    They shouldn't have to hand out anything. What's wrong with plain old freedom?

So how many states are we up to now that have better laws than Texas on this front? Arizona, Alaska, Montana??? New Hampshire??? I know the list is growing, and Texas lawmakers are not doing a damn thing to catch up.

MGTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    By the Bay
    I'm sure with the recent surges in CHL applications, the state is just fine with the status quo.

Yeah, that is the exact same thinking they have in Cuba, North Korea, Communist China and others. I thought in the United States of America is was about the people, not the state.

What is good for the people should be the question?

Remember those in office are supposed to work for us, not the other way around, they need to be reminded of that every other November. Those that forget that basic fundimental of our system should be kicked to the curb.

Ol Zeke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Burleson, TX

IMHO:

The way I read the 2nd Amendment, if you're an American Citizen (not in prison, on parole, probation or under indictment) then you have the right to carry. How about 'the authorities have to prove otherwise'.

Beyond that, the legal portion of the class is beneficial (but only because of all the legal pitfalls that can get ya')

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Pulling out my ragged, well worn copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights and looking it over... I see nothing about training, license or anything other then " the right to bear arms shall not be infringed"

I believe it should be this way, always have. Carried as a kid and young adult when there were no laws. Does a 85 year old Grandma need to take her walker and her hubbys WWII 45 and have to head to the class and range? Does that disabled bed ridden man that has a 38 next to his bed have to be wheeled out to the range and class? Should that young wife left alone with two small kids while her hubby is off in Afganistan have find the time, money and sitter just to make sure while hubby is away not be allowed to carry in her inner city neighborhood?

See it doesn't to me make any sense. Will the criminal that is intent on doing harm, take a class and get a permit? Then why should we? I am also a huge proponet of Open Carry. That's the way I read my Bill of Rights and so do many other states. Yes I have mine but...honestly it's a right that we already have without the hope jumping.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom