WWII rifle (maybe)

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by TxEMTP69, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    This guy at work today was describing a rifle he has, thinks its WWII era, looks like an M1 carbine but shoots 3 rounds bursts if trigger squeezed once, full auto if held down. Was asking if was legal to own as it was given to him years ago, but doesn't ever mess with it. says he's not into guns. Another guy there said he didn't know of any WWII era rifles with 3 round burst. Anyone have a clue what it might be?

He wants to get rid of it, what would I need if I were to get it? class III i'm guessing, or is it possibly something that is broke?

2. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    The first rule of NFA fight club is that you never talk about NFA fight club.....

3. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Never heard of anything like that either U.S. or foreign. Even the modern M-16/M-4 variants that I'm aware of have a selector for three round burst. Perhaps it is an M2 Carbine, which is fully automatic 30 cal carbine and has a selector switch for semi or full auto and he is confused between a short burst produced by one pull on the trigger.

In any event, a license is most definately required.

Interesting.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Many M-2's are socked away around the country. Few are legally owned. An M-2 will have a small selector switch on the back right area of the receiver under the rear sight. If he does not have a Federal Tax Stamp for it, he is in violation of the NFA (National Firearms Act) which could land him in Federal pound me in the a$$ prison for 5 years or more. He should turn it in to the local authorities so it can be chopped up and melted down for scrap.

Or just follow the fight club rules.

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I would suggest that you and your friend loose that particular gun in a boating accident.:2cents:

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I would NEVER suggest someone tamper with evidence (that would be a Felony), but it is amazing how many tragic boating accidents happen when people are just minding their own business enjoying the day on one of our beautiful (yet nearly dry) Texas lakes.

There is also no way to convert an M-2 back into M-1 configuration to avoid the ramifications of the NFA. Once a machinegun, always a machinegun".

The real shame is that there is little option to destruction. Another piece of history goes to the scrap heap.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I meant take it with you to the lake for protection, and try not to have a boating accident. Have to be safe around boats.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What about donating it to a museum? :gotme:

9. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    :headscratch: Probably have to explain to Feds how, when and from you got it!

10. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]