• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Just finished this project for a buddies girlfriend. The XDM is a well made pistol, I am actually considering purchasing one after working on this one.

SU1BRzAzNzQuanBn-1.gif

SU1BRzAzNjkuanBn-1.gif

SU1BRzAzNzEuanBn-1.gif
    Guns International

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I would love to duracoat my XD. Do you mind emailing me your process and your paint to hardner to thinner ratio? My email is my handle here @gmail.com. TIA.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the compliments!

As for duracoats durability, there are 3 main keys to having a great long term finish, even for edc.
    1. surface prep: proper cleaning/degreasing/remove the old finish entirely using aluminum oxide blasting
    2. proper mix ratio of duracoat/hardener...this can be impacted by temp/humidity
    3. curing time...duracoat takes 4-6 weeks to FULLY cure, the guns that look the best long term, get to sit for 4-6 weeks before use and just cure

I have been duracoating for 4 years or so and have been pretty proficient for the last 3, I have seen guns that I have done for my buddies 2-3 years ago that are edc that look like they were duracoated last week, no holster wear, nothing. The finish is not bullet proof but when applied properly and allowed to cure it holds up well.

I would be glad to have anybody interested in learning the process come over and utilize my set up to refinish one of your projects, just need to supply your own duracoat and chemicals. I live in NW SA out towards Sea World.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Nope, not yet anywho. Just found this thread and haven't had time, but now I have something to do this weekend

@ jcrntx: MY!!! Looks like a quaility job but that's a whole lotta bunch'o pink. Hope she's happy with it.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Looks good! I just finished doing a friends xd in 2 tone. What hardener/duracoat ratio do you find works best? I've Been using a 1-4 with decent results but I feel like it can better.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Kyle, I normally go about 1:12 hardener/duracoat ratio, i think 1:10 is the max that duracoat recommends and I have never gone lower than that. 1:4 has been working well for you? Is your finish normally very glossy? I found that the more hardener I used the glossier my finish would get likewise I could keep it a little more matte by using 1:14 ration or something along those lines.

Looks good! I just finished doing a friends xd in 2 tone. What hardener/duracoat ratio do you find works best? I've Been using a 1-4 with decent results but I feel like it can better.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Kyle, I normally go about 1:12 hardener/duracoat ratio, i think 1:10 is the max that duracoat recommends and I have never gone lower than that. 1:4 has been working well for you? Is your finish normally very glossy? I found that the more hardener I used the glossier my finish would get likewise I could keep it a little more matte by using 1:14 ration or something along those lines.

I don't know what was going through my mind when I wrote that, I must have been tired or I just did some duracoating without a mask... I typically use a 1:12 ratio (for me 1tbs:1/4tsp---this is what must have been going through my mind when I typed that)... I just did a coach gun and I tried a 1:6 ratio because I wanted it extra glossy.. it did not come out as glossy as I would have liked, but it will work.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gunsmithing/34165-double-barrel-duracoat-refinish.html

Top Bottom