• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I busted my back in the army, and I have to stay on top of low impact, low strain exercises to keep the back degeneration from flaring up again and again. I have to minimize running and jumping, and heavy weights to keep the strain off of several didcs that have a tendency to bulge out.

Doctors and therapist keep bring YOGA up. I kind of have a weird image in my head of hairy-pitted, granola, hippie, waifs in leotards on public access television. After a little research, I finding dozens of different exercise programs based on yoga. Has anyone had an experience with yoga, for better or worse? Can you recommend a style, or warn me of one that just was no good?

Am I going to have to turn in my man card for this? I have to find something to keep the spine straight and pain free.
    Capitol Armory ad

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I can't chime in with anything useful about yoga but if you need to keep it low stress do you have access to a pool? Working out in the water is always recommended by physical therapists for people who can't over exert themselves. I have a buddy who lost his legs and a lot of muscle tissue (IED) and he's always going on and on how the water makes him feel like he can keep pushing because he gets the workout and muscle use in that he needs but it's not painful like trying to use his prosthetics and bars.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Also there's no need to turn in your man card for finding a way to be active without stressing your back more than you should.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Swimming is a good idea.

I tried doing some yoga with my wife. It will surely limber you up some. I'm not sure of any type of yoga to recommend but its tougher than it looks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yogo does seem awful gay. But it does work. It's surprising how some posses loosin you up. It's kinda weird.

Ive heard Acupuncture works even better. I know a vet that has massive headaches and back issues. He swears by acupuncture. Claims that he's pain free for over five days after a session.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    A lot of hot chicks do yoga, find the right class and no one will question your manhood!

Oh, and swimming and/or pool exercises are a good idea as well!

Cheers! M2

thack1963

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I did pool therapy after back surgery number 4 it helped some, did yoga for a bit but the therapist told me to stop, I have a plate and 4 screws in my neck and two rods, 8 screws 2 mesh cages in my low back, a 3 inch staple holds the right shoulder in place and a bunch of parts that keep my right leg in place below the knee. Yoga stressed the titanium. Talk to a therapist, not an instructor befor you join a class. The pool is the best workout. You can pick up foam dumb bells to work out with in the pool. Working in water is 12 times the energy used for the same movement in the air.

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I did pool therapy after back surgery number 4 it helped some, did yoga for a bit but the therapist told me to stop, I have a plate and 4 screws in my neck and two rods, 8 screws 2 mesh cages in my low back, a 3 inch staple holds the right shoulder in place and a bunch of parts that keep my right leg in place below the knee. Yoga stressed the titanium. Talk to a therapist, not an instructor befor you join a class. The pool is the best workout. You can pick up foam dumb bells to work out with in the pool. Working in water is 12 times the energy used for the same movement in the air.

Yeah, this is all to avoid getting that metal implanted in my back. I have to get the muscles specific to the spine to support the spine better. I saw the video above, after checking out the DDP yoga, which I looked up after another wrestler said they went to yoga to avoid surgery. I figure any execise is better than going under the knife. And I can get some free classes included with my YMCA membership. I guess the doctor is recommeding yoga because it strengthens while straightening at the same time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    man, the Temple VA has an heated therapy pool. It runs a hair above 90degrees. No government expense spared on the chems either. Crystal clear. If you can make it that way check it out. Water weights, basket ball hoop, lots of therapy stuff.

When winter hits.....that pool hits the spot.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Yoga is not gay. Its yoga. If it helps who cares what others say.
    That said, I have not ever done anything like yoga. Well, except for fishing.

Klacktor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Hello. TGT's resident Personal Trainer (yes really) and corrective exercise therapist.
    Yoga is not a one stop fix all by any means. I treat many clients who became injured in the first place by reciprocal overuse due to inexperienced yogi's leading them astray.

To me and those under my care, I see yoga as a price of a larger puzzle. I suggest taking advantage of traditional weight training (full body) cardiovascular (interval and crossfit style training counts) and maybe some yoga and or Pilates as a supplementary core focus in there somewhere.

If you haven't yet, check out Airrosti with a quick google search. They're all over Texas now and I highly suggest you go see them regarding your pains. They use myofascial release, kinesio-tape (inhibitiory techniques) and stretching to treat overload patterns and injuries.

Micah Hartsock CPT CES

Klacktor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I want to go back and stress that many of your stereotypes about weird yoga people and their granola counterparts are sadly...true.
    You'd have a great time talking to them about the hopes of increased gun control but probably not so much how to stake your gas key on your AR
    -M

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    About a third of all NFL players do Yoga. Your man card won't be revoked. 6-6 and 300 lbs, who tears QB heads off for a living, finds Yoga a great physical tool.

It would likely be a good fit for you. Start easy though. You can over do it.

Klacktor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    NFL players also do endless hours of sport specific drills, weight training, stretching. The yoga is a small percentage of their total workout schedule. I agree with the man card sentiment and god knows I can't judge anyone there, but again I advise against yoga as a sole fitness routine.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My point was if NFL badasses can do it, his man card is not in jeopardy.

Top Bottom