• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I figure a lot of folks have bought these recently for varying reasons. Some for sporting use, some for hunting and some for SHTF.

I have been around this basic weapon platform since I was 18 years old and that was a long time ago.:cool:

It is important, I think, to consider having a basic parts kit if you own one or more of these guns. The reason I am posting this is that in my conversations with people I know who have them, none of them have thought about keeping spare parts or have considered that the gun can fail.

besides a good AR cleaning kit, it wouldn't hurt to have some spare parts like firing pin, bolt, gas rings, or you can buy a complete BCG and keep it handy.
    All I am trying to say, is if you are depending on this as your "go to SHTF" gun, you should take it upon yourself to be very familiar with the sub components of the BCG and keep a few spare parts around along with some cleaning supplies. Know what the weaknesses are and how to correct malfunctions quickly.
    Texas SOT

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Assemble a few on your own and you'll have spare parts out the wazoo and know how they fit together and come apart.

Kill 3 turkeys with 1 scone or something like that.

Last edited:

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    Yep, spare ARs is the way to go. If one breaks grab a bigger one. Yes, spare parts are a good thing to have with the prices that are out there now.

TM

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I figure a lot of folks have bought these recently for varying reasons. Some for sporting use, some for hunting and some for SHTF.

I have been around this basic weapon platform since I was 18 years old and that was a long time ago.:cool:

It is important, I think, to consider having a basic parts kit if you own one or more of these guns. The reason I am posting this is that in my conversations with people I know who have them, none of them have thought about keeping spare parts or have considered that the gun can fail.

besides a good AR cleaning kit, it wouldn't hurt to have some spare parts like firing pin, bolt, gas rings, or you can buy a complete BCG and keep it handy.
    All I am trying to say, is if you are depending on this as your "go to SHTF" gun, you should take it upon yourself to be very familiar with the sub components of the BCG and keep a few spare parts around along with some cleaning supplies. Know what the weaknesses are and how to correct malfunctions quickly.

I agree with everything you said with one caveat. I don't think an AR is more prone to breaking than any other firearm.

Do you feel like people need to keep spare parts for every firearm that they own? You must realize that most owners may not put 1000 rounds through their AR in their life. They should be far from ever needing any spare parts. I just don't think the parts are necessary for most owners.

I will concede that spare parts kits are cheap and being prepared is a good thing. One is none and two is one and all that.

Spare parts kits, QD scope rings, and BUIS are just good marketing by their respective manufacturers. Good items to have but not needed by most owners.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hmmm.
    Learning how they go together and operate was my main purpose for buying one.
    1911 too. But that one bit me.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I shoot Multigun in far off places, so besides a spare set of guns, I keep enough spare parts to replace every internal part on the rifle, twice in some cases. It really sucks to spend all the money to get there and then have a part break on the first stage. Been there, done than, never again.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I agree with everything you said with one caveat. I don't think an AR is more prone to breaking than any other firearm.

Do you feel like people need to keep spare parts for every firearm that they own? You must realize that most owners may not put 1000 rounds through their AR in their life. They should be far from ever needing any spare parts. I just don't think the parts are necessary for most owners.

I will concede that spare parts kits are cheap and being prepared is a good thing. One is none and two is one and all that.

Spare parts kits, QD scope rings, and BUIS are just good marketing by their respective manufacturers. Good items to have but not needed by most owners.

no I really didn't mean to imply that they are more prone to malfunctions and break downs. Just from a perspective that you bought one for your SHTF gun, you should build in some redundancy like other have with mulitple guns or have a good working knowledge and some critical spare parts

So_Tx_Rich

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I keep a spare lower build kit (pretty cheap parts set at $50) and a spare BCG. When I build another AR, I still order those parts. During the Clinton years this stuff was pretty expensive and sometimes hard to find. Lesson learned....and yes, spare AR's too ;)

pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    lol

"Get an AR, man. It's the best gun for SHTF because they are modular and you can replace parts easily."

Or you could get an AK/SKS, which don't break.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Two is one, one is none.

I take that a little too far sometimes, but I like having a backup for my backup, and a redundancy for that.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    lol

"Get an AR, man. It's the best gun for SHTF because they are modular and you can replace parts easily."

If I hadn't read the dry humor in your other posts, I'd have thought you were trolling for an argument. LOL....good one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    lol

In all seriousness, my completely stock un-bubba'd SKS is my favorite gun I never feel like shooting.

I love my AR, but couldn't get rid of the ugly safe queen SKS.

Top Bottom