• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    ok guy calm down. i listed specific examples of what i was talking about. I didnt blame any vendors specificly I only mentoned reds because he squeaked the loudest. i cant stress enough i under stand economics. My only point is and was if you paid fifty cent for it and its worth $1 sell it for a dollar, if its worth a dollar dont advertise it for 10 and tell me its the market, i was in the auto industry for years and I've seen it time and time again the trucks worth 5 but because it was mine its worth 7 the numbers don lie but people often do. but I dont see any change coming any time soon and once people get their income tax checks get ready for round two. i miss the days when i could buy a box of 50 9mm for 7.00 i didnt have to buy a case to get that price... ps academy sports best prices in the state

I'm calm. I agree with you on pricing. I just don't understand where some people think that a gun that they paid $500 for a year ago can miraculously be worth $1,000 a year later. Just an example.

I've been looking for an AR-series rifle but it seems like the past couple years the prices have started climbing, and still are. I decided against buying one due to the fact that they're now completely over-priced, and the cheaper ones sell so dang fast I don't see them until after work. Grrrrrrr.

Academy would be great if I lived in Texas, but its pointless ordering ammo online because they screw you over in the shipping and hazmat.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Still doesn't consitute for the reasoning behind quadrupling the price on a gun, just because supply is down. The gun isn't worth anymore than it was a year ago, and I sure won't pay more for one. If the blue book value on a gun is $300 that's all I will pay for it if its in excellent condition, I'm sure not going to pay $1200 for that same gun because "Demand is up and production is down".

Supply is down because demand is through the roof. Want to know why guns are so expensive over the past few months? Look no further than the last election.

Sit back and wait it out, or pay the going prices. Those are the only two choices.

It's how the market works.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Supply is down because demand is through the roof. Want to know why guns are so expensive over the past few months? Look no further than the last election.

Sit back and wait it out, or pay the going prices. Those are the only two choices.

It's how the market works.

I just sit back and try to find deals. Its getting really bad, and the ammo issues are getting worse by the day.

I don't see a downturn in the mess for quite a while.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ammo.....that's why I got back into reloading. It's a challenge finding components, but I can do that easier than I can trying to find range ammo!

Gun prices? Priced a Colt Mustang in the past 4-5 months? Early fall, you could find 'em in the high 4's/low 5's. Now, if ya find one under high 6/low 7's, jump quick. Me, I'm just glad I've already got 2.

As others have said, supply and demand. That I bought it for a dollar has NO relevancy - the only question is what is a willing buyer willing to pay for it? If the guy next to you is willing to pay $3, and you're only wantin' to pay $2, why sell it to you?

As others have said - if the price is too high, move on. If enough folks do so, the price will come down, because unsold inventory has a cost, too.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    To dmkav24 and lonewolf23c, you both have done a fair share of complaining. How about now offering offer a solution? What do you think should be done to drive prices back down to what you think are reasonable levels?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    To dmkav24 and lonewolf23c, you both have done a fair share of complaining. How about now offering offer a solution? What do you think should be done to drive prices back down to what you think are reasonable levels?

ah, c'mon - you don't expect 'em to have a solution?!?!? It's easier to complain that gas is $1.80/gallon than to simply cut back on drivin' - or adapt and just move on.

I do 30k miles/year MINIMUM. Yeah - the gas price jump hurt last year. I didn't spend time crying over it, I simply did what I could to reduce usage and hoped it'd come down. As a practical matter, that's about all you can do.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ah, c'mon - you don't expect 'em to have a solution?!?!? It's easier to complain ...

When I was a young boy, my father taught me a lesson that has served me very well in my professional career. It is okay to raise a complaint, but only if it is accompanied by a well thought-out, reasonable solution.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Heh - same here. I'm pretty much a squeaky wheel - but ONLY when I have a REASONABLE alternative. Funny thing is, my alternatives are usually adopted at work - to the point that I now have the dubious "honor" of writing all new company communications....gives me a chance to see what's happening (and why) and make reasonable suggestions on alternatives.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I have been watching this topic and it plainly blows my mind....

So the guy is asking 15 grand for his M82 that with the optics and accessories is worth about 9k-11k..... If someone will pay that for it then there is frankly nothing wrong with that.

You never know the situation that guy is really in.. repeat after me "Yes honey, I will 'try' to sell my Barrett". Not saying that is his reasoning but you never know.

The fact of the matter like many others have stated is that "book value" means nothing except what you should expect to pay for a product from a dealer. When the sale is from person to person an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.....

/rant off..

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    He (The M82 seller) used to advertise that you could shoot his gun "about" 6 times for $100. I guess he wasn't making enough at the gun rental business.
    If somebody will pay him 15K then its a 15K gun. I opted out of that deal cause I heard there is this big bridge for sale in San Francisco made out of gold. And the owner only wants his original investment back. What a deal! Gonna move it to Lake Houston and charge people to look at it.

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    There is no viable immediate solution that i can think of, i was just complaining. Long term I got and i will share in a moment. There are a few places out there that are making strides to keep prices down, on both their guns and ammo. As time goes on i belive the gap will get wider. but for those of you who scream its a market thing, or its worth what someone is willing to pay for it. nevermind... you all seem like inteligent individuals, you have a good grasp on whats happening and its clear that some of you just dont care. Well to that i say its just too bad. Want prices on guns and ammo to go down ? I have a thought. Every gun show i have been to in the last 3, prices there have been at least 1/3 higher there than in the stores, so its safe to say these are the guys that are going to walmart buying up the ammo and selling it for a markup. (Its kinda like the same thing that happens with oil but on a much larger scale, for you economist its called "artifical market stimulation" it usually happens on walstreet but it can happen locally too), your market prices are set by supply and demand sure. Well explain the fluxuation in prices from city to city, ammo is cheaper in dallas than it is in austin, guns are cheaper in weatherford than they are in killeen. I Called a gun store in southern indiana and checked prices on a few different types of ammo, and bought some it will be here next week "winchester 45 auto 230 gr jhp personal protection 17.99 a box 50, 40sw 180gr fmj 12.99 per 50 and my favorite .223 win 55gr fmj 4.99 a box 20 most of those prices are double and tripple that here in texas oh and the store is smaller than guns galore so please enlighten me (the answer is stay away from the gun show vendors and the guys with rediclous mark up they will go out of busniess and the market will stableize due to the loss of consumer outlets and stagnat inventories and well be good...) academy sports has the best prices in town.

The barrett M82A1 with the scope that plugs into the pc to help adjust for environmental conditions was 10,985+ tax

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Don't pay these crazy prices!!! You're only encouraging the madness!

Last week, I found a DPMS AR-15 for 700 bucks, brand new. Yes..I had to shake the bushes like mad to find it and it took months...but I got one.

Not the best AR on the block but since every local AR of every make (new or used) is hovering around 1000 bucks...I snapped it up.

So just look around...deals ARE out there and my purchase just proved it.

(no, the guy did not have more...so don't ask)

Just thought I'd let you know...I was NOT going to pay 1000 bucks for a bottom tier AR...and you should not either...I don't care who is in the White House.

- brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Some anus put a $800 DPMS for sale on consignment at our store for $1500. I feel bad handing it to people, but I'm pretty honest if they ask questions, LOL. Kinda like the 3 people I talked out of buying the last Century AR15 we had, and into buying an S&W or Bushmaster instead.

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    alan and thats my point i applaud you for actually being profesional and handling his transaction, i on the other hand would have found it hard not to hit him in the face.

Top Bottom