TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Nope.
    And that's the shop I've mentioned.
    North 2nd to be precise.
    They're a mere shell of the Doyle Grey days.

Shame always enjoyed doing business there; can't say that for most of the local shops I have visited! Did he just burn-out and sell??

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Another thing not many know, and I had to find-out the "hard way" is that the "big box" outfits order massive amounts of shells seasonally, so they frequently have those shells made more cheaply, in order to give a low price. These shells look just like the ones found at Gun Shops, but are really inferior. Remember that they quit putting the actual "Drams of powder" on the labels some 35 years ago,they now say "Drams equiv."

The shotgun shells from a Gun Shop are always the REAL DEAL".

I realize that some won't believe this, so it's no use to argue here.

leVieux

You're wrong.

The Dram Equivalent is how much BLACK POWDER it would take to get that velocity.

http://www.nssfblog.com/firstshotsnews/whats-dram-equivalent-mean/

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dram equivalent

It's starting to sound like your gun shop is the type to stay away from.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Shame always enjoyed doing business there; can't say that for most of the local shops I have visited! Did he just burn-out and sell??
    Nah, he just got to a good retirement age.
    I saw him a month or so ago at B&B.
    He looked like it's agreeing with him.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Consider yourself lucky if you even have a local shop to bitch about. I've lived in San Marcos for over 30 years, and the last one left over 20 years ago. I've only gone to the Gun Connection in Taylor once, but if they were closer, I would already be one of their best customers. I worked in a high end bicycle shop for years in college and I know the value of a knowledge place.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    "Use it or lose it!"

As an elder, and one who has operated various small businesses, I am saddened to see & hear so many talk of buying guns or ammo from big box stores, catalog companies, or via internet.

Of course, we all sometimes get an item from Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, etc; but we really need to support our local shops.

I urge everyone to try to buy your guns locally, from YOUR shop. These local shops are so necessary for continuation of our hunting, shooting, & self-protection efforts.

If we, the hunters & shooters, don't use these small businesses, they will close and go away. The repairs, extras, advice, and emergency needs won't have any resource to draw upon.

Please shop your local Gun Shop FIRST !

leVieux
    Being my elder and having more experience than me, I mean you no hostility when I share my opinion.

I don't see the problem. If a local store needs to compete then figure out how to stand out. Still unfortunately prices get people in. Often it doesn't matter how nice you are or how much you value customer loyalty. Many consumers are not loyal. I ended up being pretty loyal to a box store in Oregon. Sportsmans warehouse. Red tag sales offered very nice, sometimes prices at wholesale or below depending if they wanted to dump something. They are direct so they still make something. That's another thing...its not a big box stores fault they have deep pockets and a local gun store doesn't. Can't be mad at other peoples success. If anything blame manufacturers for not wanting to deal with lgs's. Own a lgs? Stop pouting and get creative.

Sportsmans in OR got my loyalty for a few reasons. Made a genuine freind, always friendly faces who truly enjoyed guns, managed by folks who do not give in to political climates such as ar15 and 18 year olds. Each store is different but that one in Albany I will always say good things about. Yes I gave them lots of business. A gun a month for a good while. I probably was treated differently. But they were still a good bunch who are pro gun. If a box store is like this...any hatred of them is from not being understanding. I plan to open my own lgs in Texas someday. But everyone is my comp. Not just a big store. And with lack of massive funding how do I aim high? I become different. Lol I won't share too much of my ideas.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    "Use it or lose it!"

Of course, we all sometimes get an item from Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, etc;

leVieux

Cheaper than Dirt?!?!?!?

No of us buys JS from Cheaper Than Dirt. Those guys are some price gouging mofos. I've shared my story before, but I'll share it again.

Pre-Obama I bought several used GI AR15 mags from the store in McKinney (no longer open) for $8 each. Great deal, and they work

Obama gets elected and the paranoia hit. I got an email from CTD showing they had plenty of the same used GI mags for $120 each. I haven't been back. They also cancelled orders that had been placed for guns, and then resold those same guns that were already in stock for 3-4 times the prices on the old orders.

NO CTD FOR ME. EVER AGAIN.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    CTD ad.jpg

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    My last firearm purchase was from a locally owned place. I definitely paid more than if I would have bought from large chain. The people were nice and friendly so i didn't mind.

In my opinion pure unrestrained capitalism can be a bad thing. We also know what we want to pay for certain items. I did not mind paying up for the local gun shop. But if I stop for gas and think I'm paying 2 cents more than what I think the stick of juicy fruit should cost I will lose my $#!+ and walk away. We all have our lines we don't like to cross. I will pay mom and pop double instead of buying from CTD. Unless it's for a stick of juicy fruit :) Then I would probably pay triple.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You're wrong.

The Dram Equivalent is how much BLACK POWDER it would take to get that velocity.

http://www.nssfblog.com/firstshotsnews/whats-dram-equivalent-mean/

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dram equivalent

It's starting to sound like your gun shop is the type to stay away from.

Before around 1970, the actual drams of powder IN the load was printed on both the box and on the shell, along with the amount & size of the "shot"; where did that go?

In 1969, I hunted doves just East of Mathis, Texas. The wind was from the NW. Birds approached a ridge from the South, had to climb over the ridge and a high-line. At the apex, they were virtually stopped a moment. I hit several in a row, feathers flew, bird flew off. I was using "high brass" shells from a big box. Went back to truck, found a box of regular low-brass Federal #8's from the "Texas Gun Shop". Every single one dropped a bird. Switched back to the "high brass", feathers flew, birds flew off. that prompted me to investigate. Then, 1n '77, I went on a Rocky Mountain elk hunt with the late "Bob" Ramsland, who was the largest individual purchaser of Remington shot shells in the World. Bob patiently explained these things to me during the long truck rides. I have since seen this over and over. We are far from the original topic, and need to go back. If there is sufficient interest in this side issue, I'll start a new thread on it later. leVieux

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Many online stores are local gun stores, just somewhere else. Sure using them doesn't support the one down the road, but perhaps if that store down the road stepped up their game by courting customers outside of a X mile radius, they too would enjoy the success of some out of state online vendors.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Many online stores are local gun stores, just somewhere else. Sure using them doesn't support the one down the road, but perhaps if that store down the road stepped up their game by courting customers outside of a X mile radius, they too would enjoy the success of some out of state online vendors.

Yes, BUT; Locals are always at a purchasing disadvantage, as the Wal Marts & Bass Pro's can buy thousands of each item at a time, then distribute themselves.

I was once in a Border South Texas shop years back, heard an alien trying to argue that he could buy a pistol. The Shop Owner finally told the guy: See that grey sedan out front? Those two men are ATF Officers; Why don't you just go argue with them?" leVieux

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Yes, BUT; Locals are always at a purchasing disadvantage, as the Wal Marts & Bass Pro's can buy thousands of each item at a time, then distribute themselves.

I was once in a Border South Texas shop years back, heard an alien trying to argue that he could buy a pistol. The Shop Owner finally told the guy: See that grey sedan out front? Those two men are ATF Officers; Why don't you just go argue with them?" leVieux

I really wasn't thinking Cabelas or WalMart. I have yet to see a firearm that I would be interested in priced better at those types of stores then a local store in another state with an online presence. I was really picturing shops like maybe a Copes, Grab-A-Gun or even a Buds, to name a few. Those stores are local but they use the internet to their advantage.

Top Bottom