• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've seen it for about a year now, finally broke down & got some the other day. I cleaned my guns last time i went to the range & don't have anything dirty to try it out on. I'm hoping i can get out this weekend to get an AR dirty with some Russian cheap ammo & see how it cleans up.
    Anyone else using the stuff?

Lynx Defense

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    i got it more so for the "absorbs into metal" function than anything. For gun lube i've been using a Royal Purple product for about the last 5 years.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Fireclean does ye olde "absorbs into metal" thing, ah, yeah, sure...

I bought some, some time back.

No, it doesn't stink, isn't toxic, but sadly also doesn't live up to it's hype.

Back to Hoppes No. 9 and some Mobil 1 synthetic.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Fireclean does ye olde "absorbs into metal" thing, ah, yeah, sure...
    I bought some, some time back.
    No, it doesn't stink, isn't toxic, but sadly also doesn't live up to it's hype.
    Back to Hoppes No. 9 and some Mobil 1 synthetic.
    There are some diehard defenders of Firecrisco out there.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Not a big fan of real expensive/high dollar gun lube. (But those companies do know how to produce some mighty impressive PR advertising!).
    Amen brother.
    Someone is using their degree to make money...not chemisty,,,,marketing

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Thought about putting some of that Zmax in my car

I put some in a new Honda Element i got back in 04', not sure if it worked, but the motor did have 170,000 miles with routine oil & plug changes when i got rid of it. Had no motor issues with it in the 10 yrs i had it.

I went to the range this weekend & then came home & cleaned my guns with the Zmax. The bore cleaner worked pretty good cleaning my BCG... 1st time it had been stripped all the way down. I guess i'll see over the next year on how it works.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    I put some in a new Honda Element i got back in 04', not sure if it worked, but the motor did have 170,000 miles with routine oil & plug changes when i got rid of it. Had no motor issues with it in the 10 yrs i had it.

I went to the range this weekend & then came home & cleaned my guns with the Zmax. The bore cleaner worked pretty good cleaning my BCG... 1st time it had been stripped all the way down. I guess i'll see over the next year on how it works.
    I have had more miles than that on several of my vehicles and never used ZMax or any other wonder oil. Just regular oil changes.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Yep. Changing oil regularly has worked for years. Sometimes I don't mind giving new science a chance. Heck even newer model vehicles require synthetic oil versus standard oil.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Synthetics are required on newer vehicles due to tighter tolerances but also to meet the manufacturers longer oil change intervals without the oil breaking down.

The issue with longer intervals though is that even if the oil retains its viscosity and ability to lubricate, it has still picked up 5-7-10K (heck I saw one oil advertised as 20K) miles worth of contaminants. Contaminants that aren't good for bearing surfaces. Long oil change intervals are great when something like a by-pass filter or Purafiner is installed (as on semi-trucks) but regular old passenger vehicle oil filters are not getting the gunk (acid/water/etc) out.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Synthetics are required on newer vehicles due to tighter tolerances but also to meet the manufacturers longer oil change intervals without the oil breaking down.

The issue with longer intervals though is that even if the oil retains its viscosity and ability to lubricate, it has still picked up 5-7-10K (heck I saw one oil advertised as 20K) miles worth of contaminants. Contaminants that aren't good for bearing surfaces. Long oil change intervals are great when something like a by-pass filter or Purafiner is installed (as on semi-trucks) but regular old passenger vehicle oil filters are not getting the gunk (acid/water/etc) out.

I have to disagree with you on the longer oil change interval with synthics.
    My wife has a 07 Cadillac with the 3.6 V6, we got it with 58,000 used & 5yrs old. I changed the oil every 8000 with royal purple. At 98000 check engine light came on... timing chain sensors not able to keep it in time. The timing belt had stretched. Luckily Cadillac took care of it .. would have been $3k to fix.

I got a new 13' F150 w/ eco boost, change my oil 8k miles like clock work. The last 3 oil changes I've been running Amsoil 15000k mile oil & changing at 8k miles. It just started the dreaded cold start knock ...any guess to what it is????
    Timing chain stretch!!!
    Another 3k repair but it will be on my dime, when it gets bad enough or get rid of the truck.
    Guess what cuased it??? Long oil life oil changes. From now on I'm changing at 5k with any synthetic oil.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My wife has a 07 Cadillac with the 3.6 V6, we got it with 58,000 used & 5yrs old. I changed the oil every 8000 with royal purple. At 98000 check engine light came on... timing chain sensors not able to keep it in time. The timing belt had stretched. Luckily Cadillac took care of it .. would have been $3k to fix.

I got a new 13' F150 w/ eco boost, change my oil 8k miles like clock work. The last 3 oil changes I've been running Amsoil 15000k mile oil & changing at 8k miles. It just started the dreaded cold start knock ...any guess to what it is????
    Timing chain stretch!!!
    Another 3k repair but it will be on my dime, when it gets bad enough or get rid of the truck.
    Guess what cuased it??? Long oil life oil changes. From now on I'm changing at 5k with any synthetic oil.
    I've always heard 3K for regular oil and 5K for synthetic, but then the dealership changes the oil in the car.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Drain the

The oil becomes more viscous as it absorbs the contaimiants and oxidizes.
    Lower friction coefficient lubricants are required also to meet higher CAFE standards.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've always heard 3K for regular oil and 5K for synthetic, but then the dealership changes the oil in the car.
    For newer cars/trucks 10k is the oil life reset for 100% ... 1k miles for every 10% of life. I would have thought with all those high paid smart engineers @ the Big 3 they would still know you need frequent oil changes.
    I think they know, they just want to be able to get your $$$ later on with either a repair or even better FINANCE that new 40k + vehicle when the old one breaks down.

Check out this video on the ecoboost cold start...there's tons of them out there. My truck started doing it pereoticly about 60k...now I'm at 95k & it does it just about every time you crank it now. Sad part is Ford knows about it & do nothing but issue the service code fix...unless your under warranty.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Drain the

The oil becomes more viscous as it absorbs the contaimiants and oxidizes.
    Lower friction coefficient lubricants are required also to meet higher CAFE standards.
    More viscous is ok, what they want to avoid is how regular oil has its molecules sheered, which lowers viscosity to the point it is unable to lubricate.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ

Timing chain stretch!!!
    Sorry but what exactly are you disagreeing with?

As to the timing belt stretch, it has really nothing to do with the oil. You would see bearing wear long before that if that was the case.

I also remember my Toyota stating the timing belt should be replaced at 60K miles. Whether belt or chain they are a wear item.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom