• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ace1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Converse
    Does anyone own one of these? I got several of these in today, and already sold a couple. I was thinking of transferring one to personal stock, but looking to see if anyone has any feedback.

-Mike

350210.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I saw a vid on youtube about one. They only use single stacked mags correct? The guy on the vid said you should be able to do some grinding to make double stack mags fit but he sold it so no follow vid on it.

Ace1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Converse
    It is a single stack, but that is not a deal breaker for me. If I can't kill a hog in 10 rounds or less I should hang it up. Im really trying to see if anyone has any experience with reliability, accuracy, etc.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've handled these at gun shows, and while they are a novelty (a Yugo AK-based sporter rifle), I think you'd be better off just getting a real AK!

For one, while the ten round single stack may not be an issue capacity-wise, finding replacement mags will be!

Secondly, the ergonomics of the rifle are not as natural to me as a real AK. Of course, since I have a lot of experience with real AKs, that could be the reason I feel that way; but the stock feels very "plasticy" to me.

Thirdly, while it resembles an AK, if you have plans to try and swap out the furniture (such as the stock), you'll have problems. It's not a matter of 'remove and replace,' there are modifications that will have to be made.

Lastly, that top cover rail will be useless for any real option, it won't old zero worth a lick.

But if you got it at a good price (and for me that would have to be around $300 or less), then I would say 'why not?' to keeping one for yourself. But for a little more money I would go with a traditional AK, such as a WASR-10.

Oh, and Google 'Zastava PAP' if you're looking for more info on them.

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What majormadmax said. Someone else was right about being able to grind on the receiver and get regular mags to work (single stack AKs aren't anything new), but I think then you'd have to deal with 922(r) issues.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't think the conversion of these to accept regular AK magazines is as easy as it is with the Romanian AKs imported as single stacks. I've heard people having problems as there are plates on each side of the mag well that must be removed, and they appear to be a solid part of the rails. Then there are issues with the feed ramp. Additionally, there is a specific bolt for this rifle, a standard AK one cannot be used without modifications.

Basically, the overall consensus is the conversion process is more trouble than it is worth!

Spend a little extra and get a traditional AK. I am a huge fan of the Yugo Kalashnikovs (I have several) but even after seeing several of these at halfway decent prices, I still decided to pass...

Ace1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Converse
    Okay, thanks for the input. My price for them was very very low, which is why I bought several. They are selling fast, so I am sure if I decide not to transfer it I can sell it quickly enough.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, if you can live with it as is, and you got them at a good price; then there's no reason to not grab one. Just bear in mind that even without modification there will be an issue with finding extra mags if you need them. And that if you put a scope on that top rail it will not hold zero. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a solid shooter and if that's all your looking for in a 7.62x39 rifle, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. A lot of people are, the folks that run into issues with them are the ones that want to change things and think it's as easy to do as a regular AK...

That said, how cheap did ya get them? Yep, even after knowing all the above, I'd still contemplate getting one because as I said, I have a thing about Zastava rifles...

Cheers! M2

Ace1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Converse
    Well, if you can live with it as is, and you got them at a good price; then there's no reason to not grab one. Just bear in mind that even without modification there will be an issue with finding extra mags if you need them. And that if you put a scope on that top rail it will not hold zero. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a solid shooter and if that's all your looking for in a 7.62x39 rifle, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. A lot of people are, the folks that run into issues with them are the ones that want to change things and think it's as easy to do as a regular AK...

That said, how cheap did ya get them? Yep, even after knowing all the above, I'd still contemplate getting one because as I said, I have a thing about Zastava rifles...

Cheers! M2

I sold them all for $340 (+ tax), and if I sell this one the price would be the same. It surprised me how fast they went, makes me wish I'd bought more. As for the mags, I have found them at two wholesalers and they are Zastava mags same as the two that come with it; they have more than 100 of them in stock at both places. Only thing is that they are pricey at $25.00

I am still undecided, I think it would make a good hog exterminator, but I might have to sell it if I have to eat this Rossi 30-30.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, AK prices have been on a dramatic rise lately; so it's not so surprising that any variant would sell quickly especially at that price (which is what I've been seeing them go for at the big Premier Gun Show at the Freeman Expo Center). And considering you can pick up 3-4 30-round AK mags for that price (the TAPCO polymer ones have been on sale as low as $6.99 each), twenty-five bucks for a single stack mag is a bit much.

Still, I am sure it's a good shooter and being an AK variant (albeit one without a chrome-lined barrel, so I hope the buyers know to clean it well after shooting), it will be reliable as hell!

Like I said, I'd pick one up if I could located one under $300; but at the usual price ($350) you're close to WASR-10 territory and I'd rather throw in the extra cash to get a rifle that is closer to a real AK.

Cheers! M2

Ace1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Converse
    twenty-five bucks for a single stack mag is a bit much.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. Not sure why they are so high.

Like I said, I'd pick one up if I could located one under $300; but at the usual price ($350) you're close to WASR-10 territory and I'd rather throw in the extra cash to get a rifle that is closer to a real AK.

Cheers! M2

I hear ya, sounds like your looking for the price I got them for at wholesale & that was a sale that ended 01/20. The other 4 wholesalers I use all have them at $358-360. I looked on gun broker and some of those guys are asking more than $400 which I thought was gouging.

either way I think I won't have an issue selling it if I decide not to keep it. I think the deal breaker for me would be the rail. I was thinking to put a red dot on it for hog extermination.

Top Bottom