• Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Good old S&W has burned me again.
    Today I took my brand new Model 648 .22mag revolver to the range.
    This was going to be a long range session testing 10 different ammo brands and bullet types in the attempt to see which ammo the new gun liked.
    Things started off fine. CCI Maxi-Mag 40grn were dead on at 20ft. This was just an initial sight check. No issue.
    Moved the targets out to 25’ and fired a cylinder of each brand/type.
    By the fourth cylinder, the gun started to misfire. At first it was one round per cylinder, then two, then three or even four. The ammo was fine. On most of the rounds I could rotate them in the chamber and the subsequent hammer strike would fire them.
    So I think I’ll increase the strain screw tension. That requires removing the grips. I then discover the strain screw is already tightened in as far as it’ll go. Fvck. End of range session.
    Now… I’ve been down this road with the damnable S&W frame mounted firing pin before. The firing pin is too short. With the tiniest bit if use it peens down just enough to stop striking the rim deep enough to set off the round.
    I was prepared.
    Due to previously owning a 986 that gave me an ulcer with this issue, I have several extra length firing pins. So I decided to take the new gun apart and see if the old(long) firing pin would fit in the new gun.
    After careful disassembly I checked the old and new pins with a micrometer. Dead match! Except the “old” pin is about .08” longer. Woot!
    The old pin went in perfectly.
    After re-assembly it appears to be making a much deeper indentation on the fired brass from the range trip earlier.
    I hope this works. But what a pain in the ass.
    A newbie would’ve been forced to send the gun back in to S&W who probably wouldn’t fix the problem anyway.
    What really torques me off is I have fifty year old S&W hammer mounted firing pin guns that have gazillions of rounds thru them that run like a sewing machine.
    The frame mounted thing is trash.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Good old S&W has burned me again.
    Today I took my brand new Model 648 .22mag revolver to the range.
    This was going to be a long range session testing 10 different ammo brands and bullet types in the attempt to see which ammo the new gun liked.
    Things started off fine. CCI Maxi-Mag 40grn were dead on at 20ft. This was just an initial sight check. No issue.
    Moved the targets out to 25’ and fired a cylinder of each brand/type.
    By the fourth cylinder, the gun started to misfire. At first it was one round per cylinder, then two, then three or even four. The ammo was fine. On most of the rounds I could rotate them in the chamber and the subsequent hammer strike would fire them.
    So I think I’ll increase the strain screw tension. That requires removing the grips. I then discover the strain screw is already tightened in as far as it’ll go. Fvck. End of range session.
    Now… I’ve been down this road with the damnable S&W frame mounted firing pin before. The firing pin is too short. With the tiniest bit if use it peens down just enough to stop striking the rim deep enough to set off the round.
    I was prepared.
    Due to previously owning a 986 that gave me an ulcer with this issue, I have several extra length firing pins. So I decided to take the new gun apart and see if the old(long) firing pin would fit in the new gun.
    After careful disassembly I checked the old and new pins with a micrometer. Dead match! Except the “old” pin is about .08” longer. Woot!
    The old pin went in perfectly.
    After re-assembly it appears to be making a much deeper indentation on the fired brass from the range trip earlier.
    I hope this works. But what a pain in the ass.
    A newbie would’ve been forced to send the gun back in to S&W who probably wouldn’t fix the problem anyway.
    What really torques me off is I have fifty year old S&W hammer mounted firing pin guns that have gazillions of rounds thru them that run like a sewing machine.
    The frame mounted thing is trash.
    That among other reasons is why I refuse to by new S&W wheel guns. All mine are prelock with a nose cone.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Ditto. But you failed to list the winner of the ammo tryouts.

No clear winner. I was going to shoot a cylinder of each type at 25-50-75 foot distances.
    Only made it thru the 25ft test before the fail set in.
    All of them, from 30grn TNT to 50grn Federal all shot small groups at that short of a distance.
    The Winchester was particularly loud.
    Other than that I got nothing.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Random crap like this is why I only buy old smiths.

I’ve only ever owned one brand new post-lock S&W and it had timing issues from the factory which only got worse after its trip back from warranty service.

Went from only stinging my face upon firing to making me bleed from whatever it was kicking back at my face whenever I’d pull the trigger.

Also came with finish blemishes from the factory (under the bluing) that their warranty dept did do an amazing job polishing out and re-bluing.

Top Bottom