• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Back out the strain spring screw, put a spent primer on the end of the screw where it touches the spring, tighten strain screw. The primer acts a shim to put a little more pressure on the spring.

This always worked on older S&Ws. Not sure if any of this even applies to the new revolvers.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I favor Ruger, my security six and single six do a fine job, no problems. Bought the single six in 1977, step father died in 1994, Mother gave me his security six .357 he used doing his security work where he lived at Lake Livingston.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I favor Ruger
    1710917009029.png

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Ruger makes a fine revolver for sure. AFAIK they don't make an 8-shot 22mag tho.
    I looked at the LCR but I wanted a gun with a longer barrel.
    Old classic S&W's are out there but 1.)they're only six shooters and 2.) crazy expensive.

If this firing pin swap thing doesn't work out I have another couple of tricks up my sleeve.
    I also have what is called an "extra length" firing pin in the parts box. This pin has a slightly elongated notch where the retainer pin in the frame holds it in place inside the frame. This allows the pin to fly forward a couple of thousandths further during hammer strike.
    The firing pin in the gun now is an actual S&W factory center fire pin. This pin will be tested today. If it doesn't work I will then try the extra length pin.
    If that extra length pin doesn't solve the problem I am going to use a drill bit to lightly deepen the channel in the frame itself.
    This is all just bullsh*t anyway. S&W needs to redesign this.

puma guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Near San Jacinto
    Good old S&W has burned me again.
    Today I took my brand new Model 648 .22mag revolver to the range.
    This was going to be a long range session testing 10 different ammo brands and bullet types in the attempt to see which ammo the new gun liked.
    Things started off fine. CCI Maxi-Mag 40grn were dead on at 20ft. This was just an initial sight check. No issue.
    Moved the targets out to 25’ and fired a cylinder of each brand/type.
    By the fourth cylinder, the gun started to misfire. At first it was one round per cylinder, then two, then three or even four. The ammo was fine. On most of the rounds I could rotate them in the chamber and the subsequent hammer strike would fire them.
    So I think I’ll increase the strain screw tension. That requires removing the grips. I then discover the strain screw is already tightened in as far as it’ll go. Fvck. End of range session.
    Now… I’ve been down this road with the damnable S&W frame mounted firing pin before. The firing pin is too short. With the tiniest bit if use it peens down just enough to stop striking the rim deep enough to set off the round.
    I was prepared.
    Due to previously owning a 986 that gave me an ulcer with this issue, I have several extra length firing pins. So I decided to take the new gun apart and see if the old(long) firing pin would fit in the new gun.
    After careful disassembly I checked the old and new pins with a micrometer. Dead match! Except the “old” pin is about .08” longer. Woot!
    The old pin went in perfectly.
    After re-assembly it appears to be making a much deeper indentation on the fired brass from the range trip earlier.
    I hope this works. But what a pain in the ass.
    A newbie would’ve been forced to send the gun back in to S&W who probably wouldn’t fix the problem anyway.
    What really torques me off is I have fifty year old S&W hammer mounted firing pin guns that have gazillions of rounds thru them that run like a sewing machine.
    The frame mounted thing is trash.
    I hope your hammer replacement does the trick. I am done with S&W. Not related to firearm malfunctions, but rather corporate malfeasance related to rebates. Bought a Shield Plus .30 Super Carry. Rebate form stated online, phone and store purchases were all allowed. Used the online application uploading all required documents and was immediately rejected. Phoned and was told I had to send a receipt with vendor name, item purchased, price and payment method, which was all included in what I had sent in. Sent in everything again including my order confirmation and even my credit card statement -still rejected because it wasn't a "store" receipt which wasn't required on the printed form or the online version. S&W then put a little asterisk on the rebate info sight a month before the offer end date that said a "IN STORE" Receipt was required. They used all upper case. I came close to calling the Texas AG and Consumer Affairs Dept to complain. In the middle of sending and getting rejected I emailed the vendor. They replied that they had a "pleasant conversation' with S&W and sent them a pdf form for me to have the FFL complete and sign showing the transfer info and return it to the vendor to send to S&W. The dealer completed it and went beyond what was asked for by including the transfer fee receipt, date the firearm was received by them with inventory information and their card. Sent it to the vendor with all the previous documents and waited two weeks. I got another rejection stating the same crap as before, so I just gave up. Then I got an email from the vendor that they had refunded the amount of the rebate to my CC - $50. I don't purchase firearms just for the rebate and actually have more than a dozen S&W firearms including an FPC that I bought a month before I bought the Shield Plus. I also had bought a .30 Super Carry EZ a year before. Never again will my money go to S&W. BTW the vendor who went to bat for me with S&W and refunded 50 bucks is Grab-a-Gun in Coppell, Texas. Kudos to them! BTW I ran across several people on various gun forums, including S&W who had similar negative experiences with S&W rebates.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've purchased several new S&W firearms in the last 10 years.
    All but one of them worked just fine except a M986 9mm revolver.
    The latest purchases being an M&P 2.0 and FPC. Both run perfectly.
    The 986 just flat stopped firing. After the second trip back to S&W I gave up on it.
    That was a while back. Kinda figured they would improved the issue by now.
    So I purchased a brand new 22mag revolver. and bazinga. Same issues as the 986.
    This time tho I am willing to start cutting into metal if need be.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Update:

Took the gun back to the range this morning to test out the replaced firing pin.
    Fired 200+ rounds.
    Gun ran perfect in S/A mode.
    Still had misfires using D/A mode.
    I tried five different brands of ammo. Winchester had the most misfires. These rounds subsequently fired using S/A.
    Appears to be a too light strike in D/A mode.
    At this point I am going to try the spacer on the strain screw trick. This will not require opening up the side plate.

Also got the paperwork together for the rebate. Going in todays mail.
    $75 dollars is $75 dollars after all.

puma guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Near San Jacinto
    Update:

Took the gun back to the range this morning to test out the replaced firing pin.
    Fired 200+ rounds.
    I tried five different brands of ammo. Winchester had the most misfires. These rounds subsequently fired using S/A.
    At this point I am going to try the spacer on the strain screw trick. This will not require opening up the side plate.

Good luck with the spring tension fix and your rebate.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Update:

Fired 200+ rounds.

$75? That’s a couple boxes of 30 SC ammo!

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Shudda got you a Taurus or a Rough Rider instead and spent that S&W money on a downpayment for the .30 Super Carry full size M&P 3.0 (3.0 to honor the launch of the .30 Super Carry in the flagship duty gun, naturally)

Its not too late to get your order in today

new_sheriff_in_town.jpeg

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Update:

Fired 200+ rounds.

Hey Moon,

Might I suggest?

A Wilson Combat mainspring. They are slightly different than the factory S&W main springs...accelerating the hammer at the end of the stroke....

Seems to really help in the center fire dept. (in these days of shoot what primers you can find)...

Check & see? if the hammer is dragging on either the frame or sideplate. May need a tube of "Prussian Blue"?

Later, Mark

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Shudda got you a Taurus or a Rough Rider instead and spent that S&W money on a downpayment for the .30 Super Carry full size M&P 3.0 (3.0 to honor the launch of the .30 Super Carry in the flagship duty gun, naturally)

Its not too late to get your order in today

View attachment 441914
    May the fleas of a 1,000 camels infest themselves.....in the parts yinz skratch the most...

Top Bottom