• ...and so much more!
  • Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Basically I'm eating less.

Walking is out, just a trip around Walmart has me beat due to the pain.
    Standing is even worse. Just taking a shower puts me in the hurt locker all day.
    Arthritis in both shoulders.

What I really need is a therapy pool to walk around in. The VA has one that sits unused 85% of the time. But there are no open times where one can just exercise in the pool. Your doctor has to refer you and then it's 1-2 times a week for four weeks. During that time you only spend half of it walking. The rest is stretching and stuff.

I need something I can hit 3-5 times a week for an hour or two a day. But I've found nothing available around here. There's a place down in Gun Barrel city, but even then, it's only available for short amounts of time during the week, and it's 40 minutes each way.
    The VA should accomodate you. I get more out of the VA when I raise a little hell with them. You should have a VA Advocate available near you. If you get a good one they can help. You might consider getting a recommendation from two doctors. Then you might be able to spend 2-4 days per week in the therapy pool (1-2 per doctor). Also, what about a regular pool like at the YMCA?
    Lynx Defense

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine. The side effects started catching up to me last Thursday. I felt so bad over the weekend I called the doctor Monday morning. When the checked my weight I was down another 9 pounds in 12 days.

With what I thought was good news they freaked out on along with the huge drop in blood pressure. So off for labs work & an EKG I went. They said depending on my results I might be checking in to the hospital. Lucky for me.

I also started injections of SEMAGLUTIDE/PYRIDOXINE. I have absolutely no appetite now. Yesterday I cad a can of soup & crackers. Today I pain fried 3 beef patties w/ cheese nothing else & could only eat two of them.

Friday I go see a doctor about my knees, then Monday back to see the doctor about my blood pressure.

And I was hoping on having a better year then last year. Oh Well Shorter Of Breath & One Day Closer To Death.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    The VA should accomodate you. I get more out of the VA when I raise a little hell with them. You should have a VA Advocate available near you. If you get a good one they can help. You might consider getting a recommendation from two doctors. Then you might be able to spend 2-4 days per week in the therapy pool (1-2 per doctor). Also, what about a regular pool like at the YMCA?
    YMCA is at least 30 miles away. I've tried like hell to get more time in the VA pool. But they won't allow you in there without a VA employee around and that ONE PERSON teaches the classes and is booked solid.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine. The side effects started catching up to me last Thursday. I felt so bad over the weekend I called the doctor Monday morning. When the checked my weight I was down another 9 pounds in 12 days.

With what I thought was good news they freaked out on along with the huge drop in blood pressure. So off for labs work & an EKG I went. They said depending on my results I might be checking in to the hospital. Lucky for me.

I also started injections of SEMAGLUTIDE/PYRIDOXINE. I have absolutely no appetite now. Yesterday I cad a can of soup & crackers. Today I pain fried 3 beef patties w/ cheese nothing else & could only eat two of them.

Friday I go see a doctor about my knees, then Monday back to see the doctor about my blood pressure.

And I was hoping on having a better year then last year. Oh Well Shorter Of Breath & One Day Closer To Death.
    Watch those blood pressure meds and do your own research on side effects.

I had a bad experience with blood pressure meds, which it turns out (as determined by a different doc) I did not even need.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Keep up the great work!!!

I hit my highest weight (350) and after my annual physical that was a wake-up call....so, I started July 15, down 17 pounds so far. Atkins/Keto (and watching the overall amount that I eat - a lot of salads too), cutting out alcohol (that's a BIG one) and working out (rowing machine - it's a KILLER but a great all-in-one workout - and battle ropes along with reflex lights). I'm 52 and yeah, I'm fat...I don't look like I weigh 350...(now 333)....but I've got a big ole belly...along with a fair amount of muscle too...I'm fortunate that I'm active and I can still get in/out of a race car window (now easier)....

Let's help motivate each other! My wife is working out too, she's losing weight as well.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    <>

Cogratulations !

I pray that things are “normalizing” a bit after your loss of Wife.

Things never return to “normal”, but do gradually improve & stabilize.

May GOD ease your journey. . . . . . .

<>
    Having concentrated on the wife health I neglected taking care of myself. Stress eating also played a huge part, along with my back, knees & feet. I hope to get to being able to walk the dog. funny the neighborhood women are the walkers out here & I don't have a problem walking with them, once I can.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Keep up the great work!!!

I hit my highest weight (350) and after my annual physical that was a wake-up call....so, I started July 15, down 17 pounds so far. Atkins/Keto (and watching the overall amount that I eat - a lot of salads too), cutting out alcohol (that's a BIG one) and working out (rowing machine - it's a KILLER but a great all-in-one workout - and battle ropes along with reflex lights). I'm 52 and yeah, I'm fat...I don't look like I weigh 350...(now 333)....but I've got a big ole belly...along with a fair amount of muscle too...I'm fortunate that I'm active and I can still get in/out of a race car window (now easier)....

Let's help motivate each other! My wife is working out too, she's losing weight as well.
    My doctor pretty much knows my limitations plus he seen I was trying my best to dump some weight. He wrote a Rx for SEMAGLUTIDE/PYRIDOXINE 5MG-8MG/ML. It aint cheap but I think I'm saving as much on groceries since I started it. It's what Hollyweird uses to keep the weight off.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    My doctor pretty much knows my limitations plus he seen I was trying my best to dump some weight. He wrote a Rx for SEMAGLUTIDE/PYRIDOXINE 5MG-8MG/ML. It aint cheap but I think I'm saving as much on groceries since I started it. It's what Hollyweird uses to keep the weight off.
    My doctor wrote me a scrip for OZEMPIC...my "insurance" "covers" it...but my out of pocket is over $900 per month...that was my "yeah, time to lose weight!" real wake up call! So, I declined to pay that and took matters into my own hands!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My doctor wrote me a scrip for OZEMPIC...my "insurance" "covers" it...but my out of pocket is over $900 per month...that was my "yeah, time to lose weight!" real wake up call! So, I declined to pay that and took matters into my own hands!
    Mine is from a compound pharmacy in Smithville, Texas and is an analogue. $270 for 2 months.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Since January I've lost 25 lbs. From 375 to 350. Considering that I'm damn near immobile I think that's pretty damn good.

My goal is to get under 300, ideally I'd like to lose another 100 but I don't know if that's actually possible.

Good start. I need to do the same, been at 330-340 since Covid. Need to get below 300. Bad knees and back along with my left foot having some type of swelling/plantar fasciitis.
    Doing wrestling and football when I was younger and being in the Infantry and as a police officer I was always active and working out. Now life is simple and boring.

Cutting back on eating I can lose temporary weight 5-10 lbs, but tend to go back up. Being older/over 50 the body is breaking down vs when younger. Always something hurting or flaring up (mostly on my left side…).

Keep up the effort. Slow and steady.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    This SEMAGLUTIDE/PYRIDOXINE 5MG-8MG/ML really does its job. The doctor said it works on your brain, slows down digestion and you don't empty out as soon as you normally would.

Tonight I made Air Fryer Breaded Pork Chops that were some of the best pork chops I ever ate, and I only ate 2. Without the prescription I would have ate at lest 4 chops plus a couple of sides. I can see now if I go out to eat I'll have a doggy bag for Renfield.

Don't get me wrong there are side effects but so far I'm very excepting of them. My grocery bill will go down enough to afford what it cost me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My doctor wrote me a scrip for OZEMPIC...my "insurance" "covers" it...but my out of pocket is over $900 per month...
    Mine is from a compound pharmacy in Smithville, Texas and is an analogue. $270 for 2 months.
    I get mine where I can. CVS, the folks who work best with my insurance wanted $485/mo. I found a mail-order pharmacy that charged $25/mo and used them for quite a while. Then Ozempic was all over the news and the shortages started. My mail-order place jumped the price to $465/mo so I went to CVS and paid $445/mo...except this time. Currently, I'm two weeks late in getting a refill through CVS because it's back-ordered. They have no idea when they'll get it.

The mail-order place will lock me in at $270 but their earliest delivery date is October 24.

The hunger comes back hard and fast when I'm off the medicine so I not a happy camper at the moment.

I have a note in to my urologist who says he can hook me up with a compounding pharmacy. Maybe that will be my solution.

I know how to assemble the medicine myself. It's not difficult. So I'm on the verge of ordering a bottle of the stuff packaged for labs and compounding my own. Something strikes me as wrong, though, about mixing stuff up in a syringe and injecting myself. I'd rather leave that to pros.

I get the feeling that if I were willing to pay the off-insurance price of ~$1500/mo I probably would have no difficulty finding a source.

Anyone with info on foreign mail-order sources is encouraged to speak up.

Note: I've discussed this before and if the prices I've quoted aren't consistent, well, pardon me for losing track of a bunch of details that I really shouldn't be forced to track. :(

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Good start. I need to do the same, been at 330-340 since Covid. Need to get below 300. Bad knees and back along with my left foot having some type of swelling/plantar fasciitis.
    Doing wrestling and football when I was younger and being in the Infantry and as a police officer I was always active and working out. Now life is simple and boring.

Cutting back on eating I can lose temporary weight 5-10 lbs, but tend to go back up. Being older/over 50 the body is breaking down vs when younger. Always something hurting or flaring up (mostly on my left side…).

Keep up the effort. Slow and steady.
    <>

I’m now retired but did a lot of work in weight management back in the 1970’s & ‘80’s.

I, and many others, learned that diets, no matter how restrictive or “successful” rarely if ever resulted in long-tem weight loss & maintenance.

I got away from that area of Medicine but continued with my own weight problems and those of my Family. We all are good cooks and live in the part of the Nation known for the very best foods.

For two decades, my weight varied from 220 to 268.

I watched as Colleagues kept ”losing then regaining” the same 30# via “Keto” or “Adkins”.

In 2018, U of Texas Med, from where I had retired a decade earlier, offered me the LSU Pennington Center / U T Health Dallas’ weight management program, “Naturally Slim”, now known as “WondR”. This is a strictly Science based “lifestyle change” program using everything from Psychology, Dietary education, habits re-training, light exercise to “sleep science”.

I enrolled, and saw results almost immediately. I began a slow progressive loss from 268 to 181. In fact, I lost the first 8# b/t receiving the info and actually starting the formal program. I feel better, sleep better, look better, and wouldn’t give the program up for anything. It has been a LIBERATING, not restrictive, feeling.

By now, we should all realize that “Lo-Fat” is not working. the Pennington Scientists had done million$ & years’ basic studies BEFORE trying something new; it was not product of anyone’s “idea”, but of years of solid Scientific research & observation.

They tell that the LSU History Department studied old photos to determine that, before 1950, Americans were no heavier than any of the other peoples of the World. It was learned that around then, the foods industry began adding massive amounts of sugars, both obvious and “hidden”.

Research also revealed that certain learned notions were hurting us. some were “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is absolute nonsense based on a 1950’s Kellogg Cereals ad campaing for corn flakes. “You must eat everything on your plate’’ was horrible advice. Rushed meals from ever tightening work schedules was also hurting us.

The program also teaches how to interpret “legal” but very deceptive food labels, how to identify hidden sugars, etc

In about 10 months, I went from 268# to 181#, felt great. Today, some 4.5 years later, I just weighed 181.5#, this morning.

The only foods completely off-limits are sugar, wine, & fruit juices. One eats what one likes, when one is hungry, and learns ”How to eat, not what to eat.”

This is revolutionary, enduring, and involves no nonsense.

One great day, while Wife was over in El Campo for a few days, I realized that my new body wasn’t going back to fat-boy. I cleaned out my closets of all the “fat clothes”, donated them to our Church re-sale center, and left it all behind.

YOU, too, can do this; but NOT by “dieting”.

leVieux

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Since January I've lost 25 lbs. From 375 to 350. Considering that I'm damn near immobile I think that's pretty damn good.

My goal is to get under 300, ideally I'd like to lose another 100 but I don't know if that's actually possible.
    <>

It is possible.

And, congratulations on your initial success.

Keep telling yourself: ‘’I can do it; I WILL do it !’’

Good Luck,

leVieux

<>

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Basically I'm eating less.

Walking is out, just a trip around Walmart has me beat due to the pain.
    Standing is even worse. Just taking a shower puts me in the hurt locker all day.
    Arthritis in both shoulders.

What I really need is a therapy pool to walk around in. The VA has one that sits unused 85% of the time. But there are no open times where one can just exercise in the pool. Your doctor has to refer you and then it's 1-2 times a week for four weeks. During that time you only spend half of it walking. The rest is stretching and stuff.

I need something I can hit 3-5 times a week for an hour or two a day. But I've found nothing available around here. There's a place down in Gun Barrel city, but even then, it's only available for short amounts of time during the week, and it's 40 minutes each way.
    Once winter is over Lake Limestone is across the street from me. I need to get my ass into the water this summer. I have a doctors appointment on Feb 6th and hope to be down some more pounds

I can relate to the shower being almost to much. I bought a shower chair for when the wife was sick & I bathed her.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I tried the therapy pool, knee killer! Now if I can get down to the 150# when I was young.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom