• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoachHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Keller, TX
    I've read some good things about Marlin and Hornady's collaboration of the 308 Marlin Express, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off getting a 30-30. Any thoughts?
    Capitol Armory ad

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    Back in the 80's or so didn't Winchester and Marlin make a .307 caliber rifle. Everything looked good about it, but it just didn't sell in numbers. My only problem with buying a 308 express would be, if it doesn't catch on ammo could be hard to come by.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Yup... Im a 30-30 guy myself... Ammo is not cheap, heavy, and would be hard to come by in an emergency situation but I have a win model 94 30-30 carbine with a 16" barrel... I am taking that sob with me.. Its no long range shooter but it holds multiple rounds.. it wont jam and up close that sucker packs a serious foot pounds sandwich "punch" ... and its a loud SOB ....!@#

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I beg to differ about them jamming up ... we fix a number of stuck lever action guns every year.

As far as caliber, .30-30 has been around for over 100 years, can you say the same about .308 Marlin Express? Guess which will be easier to find at a Walmart in Podunk, TX at Noon on a Saturday because you forgot your ammo?

dublin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    El Paso
    I beg to differ about them jamming up ... we fix a number of stuck lever action guns every year.

I've got a 1968 Marlin 336 30-30 that was handed down to me, I've been shooting it on and off for years, took my first deer with it. Never had any issue until a month ago when the lever got stuck on me. Had to bring it home loaded, wasn't equipped to work on a gun that day. In my mind it was a complete catastrophic failure. Had I really needed the gun it was completely unusable as anything more than a club, it wasn't just a jam that could be cleared it was completely seized. I still love the gun but will never fully trust it again, I now realize how common it really is.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Go with the .30-30, like Roscoe said, There was a .307 that had great press but try and find ammo for it at wal-mart. Better yet, take a look at eh .45GAP. That was one that everyone hailed. But now, that round is on a path to become extinct.
    For the cost of the rifle and the ammo, the .30-30 is where it's at. How often do we shoot at anything over 100 yards with a lever action anyways?

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Well maybe the marlin is the problem :). lol. Well I will take your word for it but I have been shooting my 30-30 since I was 10 years old. It was the 2nd gun I was ever given :). After that I purchased another one maybe years later and was given one last year that had been left in a barn and all rusted. I refinished it.

I have never had a win94 jam up on me, but I think a big part of that is working the action correctly. Its kinda like Limp wrist-ing a glock.. If you don't do the motion correctly it can jam on you.

It could be a situation like the ruger mini's though, some people get shooters and other people don't.

Just my two cents.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Do you reload?

Personally, I'd stick with the 30-30, but if you did get the other one, buy a bunch of brass and dies while you can. A couple thousand pieces of brass will last a long while. At least you won't be stuck with a gun that you can't find ammo.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Looks like it's apples and oranges on these two. The .308 Marlin Express is a full-power cartridge that's about twice as powerful as the .30-30. The .30-30 is going to be way easier to find, though.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've got a 1968 Marlin 336 30-30 that was handed down to me, I've been shooting it on and off for years, took my first deer with it. Never had any issue until a month ago when the lever got stuck on me. Had to bring it home loaded, wasn't equipped to work on a gun that day. In my mind it was a complete catastrophic failure. Had I really needed the gun it was completely unusable as anything more than a club, it wasn't just a jam that could be cleared it was completely seized. I still love the gun but will never fully trust it again, I now realize how common it really is.

Yep, they aren't as reliable as alot of people imagine. The same can be said for revolvers, when they fail, they fail completely.

Top Bottom