• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasmade94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2020
    Dallas
    Hey yall, I’m currently in the market to build a new gun. Currently contemplating building a 6.5 PRC because I would like something that I can take out to the ranch and stretch to distances of 800-1000 yards, but also want something for bigger game (elk specifically), mind you I’d never hunt past 300-400 yards, just not my thing.

Thoughts on this cartridge?

Ive shot the 7 mag, 300 win, and 300 PRC which I know would likely be a “better” option especially for hunting, but I want to be able to sit at range all day and make my way thru a box without my shoulder killing me (I’ve had 3 surgeries on shooting shoulder).

Would love to hear any suggestions, thoughts, or recs for different caliber all together.

Thanks
    Military Camp

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Hey yall, I’m currently in the market to build a new gun. Currently contemplating building a 6.5 PRC because I would like something that I can take out to the ranch and stretch to distances of 800-1000 yards, but also want something for bigger game (elk specifically), mind you I’d never hunt past 300-400 yards, just not my thing.

Ive shot the 7 mag, 300 win, and 300 PRC which I know would likely be a “better” option especially for hunting, but I want to be able to sit at range all day and make my way thru a box without my shoulder killing me (I’ve had 3 surgeries on shooting shoulder).

Would love to hear any suggestions, thoughts, or recs for different caliber all together.

Thanks
    imo just another cartridge getting on the 6.5mm bandwagon! if you handload you ould always make ammo for whatever needs you have for the riflehunting ot target shooting.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Not my shoulder, but had surgeries on my neck that had me in recovery mode for quite a while.

So the reason you stated for looking at the 6.5 PRC I totally get.

When I was looking for something I could use that wouldn’t rattle me too hard & I could shoot comfortably for a bit I settled on a .270 Winchester. It’s more than capable of taking elk size game & so is the 6.5 PRC.

I have a buddy in New Mexico that uses a Begara in 6.5 PRC and has taken some big Mulies and Elk with it out to 600 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texasmade94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2020
    Dallas
    Not my shoulder, but had surgeries on my neck that had me in recovery mode for quite a while.

So the reason you stated for looking at the 6.5 PRC I totally get.

When I was looking for something I could use that wouldn’t rattle me too hard & I could shoot comfortably for a bit I settled on a .270 Winchester. It’s more than capable of taking elk size game & so is the 6.5 PRC.

I have a buddy in New Mexico that uses a Begara in 6.5 PRC and has taken some big Mulies and Elk with it out to 600 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, Only time I want to shoot a big magnum again is if I ever have the money and can secure a Kodiak tag… I’ll suffer thru range time for that. But otherwise my shoulder couldn’t handle it.

Love my 270, and there are multiple deer heads on my walls due to that trusty little savage I got for 16th birthday 13 years ago… still has the stock scope that came with it on it

And thanks for the info on your buddy, good to know, and lucky him!

Really like the 6.5PRC for the range, my father in law just extended the range at their place to 1200yards apparently. He is who got me into competitive shooting and reloading, so looking forward to being able to dial in some hand loads and show him up.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6.5PRC won't disappoint. I got 2 buddies that shoot them. That round has great speed, is very flat and leaves great vapor trails. We have shot them to 1,000yrds. They both run suppressors and that cartridge suppresses nicely. Haven't shot one without the can but with the can is a soft shooter. I bet it'd be gnarly with custom built rifle and handloads.

edit: Its wind performance stood out. With ELD bullet and low airtime, it bucks the wind nicely.

TexasHorn7

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2023
    Dallas
    I have a 6.5 PRC, but think the 6.8 Western is the best short action cartridge Magnum option. You cannot shoot a really heavy 6.5 bullet out of the PRC. The Hornady factory ammo is in the 140g class.

At some point, I will do a barrel swap.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

Thanks
    <>

Some western states have regs against using anything less than .30Cal. for deer & elk, etc.

Yes, I do know. . . . . . .

<>

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    How about the 7mm SAUM? I'm in the process of building one myself now in a short action. Should fit the bill for your needs, but ammo components (mainly brass) is a bit pricey.

powellandrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2024
    Texas
    I've had great success with mine. Probably the highest confidence out of all my other rifles, when pulling the trigger. It loves the ELDX, and also shoots the Barnes LRX 127 gr very well...
    The lead free barnes might be worth looking into for bigger game..
    With a suppressor, mine feels equivalent to a .243... Easy shooting...

Texasmade94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2020
    Dallas
    I've had great success with mine. Probably the highest confidence out of all my other rifles, when pulling the trigger. It loves the ELDX, and also shoots the Barnes LRX 127 gr very well...
    The lead free barnes might be worth looking into for bigger game..
    With a suppressor, mine feels equivalent to a .243... Easy shooting...
    What suppressor are you running?

powellandrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2024
    Texas
    What suppressor are you running?
    ab raptor. recommend it too. have an AB A10 & Little Bird on order right now, as well..

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Not a 7 fan, but the 7saum gives a wide bullet weight range only 2nd to 30cal. Sure, 26cal gives better bc per same weight if that helps? 27cal is gaining on better bullets with heavier weights above 150 and is a good choice also. I have both the 6.5prc and 7saum in AR's, but limited to 2.870" on mag lengths. What you need to consider is finding ammo, primers and or brass as bullets are the easy part if you reload/handload! That drives my decisions on what new chambers I'm getting.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    BTW, recoil is generated by muzzle pressure and dwell time. Having a powder that burns out sooner to give less muzzle pressure will fix recoil. I'm trying to build a 5# or less 20" 308win AR. Right now it's @ 5# 4.97ozs w/o optic and mount.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Not a 7 fan, but the 7saum gives a wide bullet weight range only 2nd to 30cal. Sure, 26cal gives better bc per same weight if that helps? 27cal is gaining on better bullets with heavier weights above 150 and is a good choice also. I have both the 6.5prc and 7saum in AR's, but limited to 2.870" on mag lengths. What you need to consider is finding ammo, primers and or brass as bullets are the easy part if you reload/handload! That drives my decisions on what new chambers I'm getting.
    THE 6.5 X55 SWEDISH IS STILL ONE OF MY FAVORITES!

Top Bottom