• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodmanje

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2024
    Greenville
    My middle son turns 21 next month and he wants a handgun that he can carry. He’s an avid bass fisherman and he‘s often at these sketchy boat ramps before sunrise, sometimes alone. He’s been approached and hassled by people that were obvious meth heads on more than one occasion. What do you guys recommend as a reasonably priced 9mm with good capacity and small enough to stay out of his way while fishing? I was looking at a Canik Mete MC9 the other day. He’s kind of partial to a S&W M&P 2.0 compact. He doesn’t like the Shield for some reason. The S&W along with the Hellcat and Sig P365 seem to be on the higher priced side of what I’m looking for… what else is out there that maybe goes unnoticed but is still a good reliable gun?
    Target Sports

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    If he likes the SW MP compact, then get him that. I like small pocket pistols personally, but he might not. Cheap small guns are: Ruger LC9, beretta mpx carry, kahr cw9, savage arms stance (I have one to sell lol), RIA 206A. Maybe the beretta might be good and less expensive?

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The M&P Compact or Subcompact is a good choice....but I'm going to suggest something else....

Since he'll be around a boat ramp and on the water, he may have other critters besides methicans to deal with. Snakes, rats, raccoons, and other pests aren't worth a 9mm JHP. I would recommend a stainless .38Spl snub with the first two rounds being CCI shotshells. That's why my "yardwork" gun is a Taurus 856. YMMV....

goodmanje

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2024
    Greenville
    If he dealing with pre morning methbillies perhaps something above a 9 mm would be a better choice for him. Those type of human scum tend to roam in pairs.
    The main reason I like 9mm is the ammo is cheap enough that one can afford to practice on a regular basis. I go to the range at least once every two weeks. I don’t want him to be the type that gets a pistol, shoots it one time, then expects to be able to hit a target when the need arises.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The main reason I like 9mm is the ammo is cheap enough that one can afford to practice on a regular basis. I go to the range at least once every two weeks. I don’t want him to be the type that gets a pistol, shoots it one time, then expects to be able to hit a target when the need arises.
    I'm of the Robert Rourke school of Use Enough Gun.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Preferably SS and or plastic. And cheap for when he loses it in the water. Stay away from Grapevine.

WAA

I ❤️ Texas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    Only one choice: A full size AIWB 1911 with a laser, RMR, Punisher grips, FCS, protruding mag release, extended slide stop, extruded safety, hammer forged barrel link, skeletonized skeleton, trigger mounted trigger, and one magazine.

Or, you could take him to a rental place and see what he shoots the best

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    baboon,

Did you read his book?

Or, any of the 'mau mau' monsters who're part of jomo kenkatta's ilk?

Or, any of Peter Hathaway Capstick?

Or any of the old 'ivory tusker' guys?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

Did you read his book?

Or, any of the 'mau mau' monsters who're part of jomo kenkatta's ilk?

Or, any of Peter Hathaway Capstick?

Or any of the old 'ivory tusker' guys?
    When I was in grade school we went to the Field Museum in Chicago. The Man-Eaters of Tsavo are there on display. My teacher noticed my interest in them & suggested books. I read a bunch of books about Africa and safari hunting before I was in junior high school.

I always dreamed of hunting in Africa. When the changes came up I took it. Unfortunately I couldn't afford any dangerous game. I was saving for a lion hunt but life happened.

The last books read were from around the ten years span that I got to go to Africa. The very last bookI read was

REMINISCENCES OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER; The Autobiography Of W.D.M. "Karamojo" Bell​

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom