• jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas

TipBledsoe

FIRST send him to LTC training and/or similar classroom portion so that he fully understands the responsibilities that come along with carrying a firearm.

I agree!!

https://www.texasguntalk.com/members/paknheat.42776/report

paknheat​

I would suggest taking him to a range in your area that has some rentals & let him try a few to see which ones he feels fit him best & he shoots the best.

I agree!!

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Before the Glock guys chime in just get that M&P a holster and ammo.
    Just ignore anyone with a different opinion and listen to Lonesome Dove. (That is the sarcasm font.:rolleyes:) A Glock's finish would probably standup better than an M&P. A Glock 26 is compact, should not get in the way with a decent holster and will reliably get the job done. Plenty of other options though. You mentioned price as a concern, remember it is true you usually get what you have paid for as far as quality goes so don't short change your son. The advice about renting various pistols to see what he shoots well is very good and hopefully will also find one he likes.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Years ago, i was kayaking a lot. Like every other weekend i was out. At the time i was carrying a G19x. The amount of times it got submerged, covered in mud, not cleaned...

It was 100% reliable (and stayed reliable for over 40,000 rounds) and never developed a spec of rust.

Most striker fired pistols won't handle being submerged well, neither will glocks (without maritime spring cups), but glocks are STUPID easy to detail strip. It takes all of 5 minutes to do. I actually like M&P's, but man they are not fun to detail strip. I don't think canik's are totally user serviceable. I know walthers aren't.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Fresh water or salt water? Might make a difference in the material of the pistol. Speaking 9mm only here, I saw a recommendation earlier in this thread for an LC9. Personally, that’s what I carry if I want something light that won’t get in the way when I’m doing a lot of moving around. They have a less expensive EC9 which is the very same gun I think but with fixed sites. Only 7 rounds but the mags are small enough to carry a couple extras without noticing it. That’s what I do. The MP compact or the Glock19 would probably fare equally as good, but keep the size in mind whatever you choose. When I’m on the bike, the Glock19 is good because I’m not moving around much but if I’m piddling in the garage, doing yard work or anything physical, I’m always knocking it and it’s in kind of the way if I’m honest about it.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    baboon,

"The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" is an excellent book, I read years back.

Karamojo Bell is another wonderful autobiography.

"Use Enough Gun" was my favorite of Robert Ruarks books.

I've also read all of Peter Hathaway Capsticks books.

His description of sitting around a 'mopani' wood camp fire after a hard day's hunt always gave me a warm feeling.

I met Capsticks...Mothers's chauffeur (she lived in Houston)...he allowed Mr. Capstick was one of the most generous/kindest men he'd ever met.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Zach,

I was once heavily into long distance kayaking...

My shortest kayak was 14.5' long and my other 2 were 16 footers.

While my wife liked the 14.5 footer, I much preferred the longer kayaks.

But, once the shoulders went to hell, I gave all my kayaks and related gear, plus many custom fishing rods and extensive tackle to my Daughter.

She too is into outdoor life and guns, just not quite the gun nut I am...

They say, "dreams ain't broken round here, just walking with a limp"...to steal a few words from Tom Waits...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

"The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" is an excellent book, I read years back.

Karamojo Bell is another wonderful autobiography.

"Use Enough Gun" was my favorite of Robert Ruarks books.

I've also read all of Peter Hathaway Capsticks books.

His description of sitting around a 'mopani' wood camp fire after a hard day's hunt always gave me a warm feeling.

I met Capsticks...Mothers's chauffeur (she lived in Houston)...he allowed Mr. Capstick was one of the most generous/kindest men he'd ever met.
    I have to sati was always welcome sitting around the fire (I have even slept on the ground around the fire) inside the boma, drink Gin & Tonics, smoking cigars withe the souther sky overhead.

I started hunting in shorts because skin is quieter the most material. Most P.H.'s do it hell look at the old Rhodesian army guys in their short shorts). Most nights I spent a good amount of time pulling out thorns & medicating previous punctures.

One place we hunted outside of Kruger park the locals were having a wedding or funeral & up all night beating on drums. I kept picturing Bugs Bunny in the big pot on the fire with me in it.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Just ignore anyone with a different opinion and listen to Lonesome Dove. (That is the sarcasm font.:rolleyes:) A Glock's finish would probably standup better than an M&P. A Glock 26 is compact, should not get in the way with a decent holster and will reliably get the job done. Plenty of other options though. You mentioned price as a concern, remember it is true you usually get what you have paid for as far as quality goes so don't short change your son. The advice about renting various pistols to see what he shoots well is very good and hopefully will also find one he likes.

Glocks have not had the "tennifer" finish in years that they are so famous for. That process is not ecologically friendly and they switched to another form of nitriding, similar to the Melonite QPQ finish Smith & Wesson uses. Additionally - Glocks still utilize a carbon steel slide, whereas the slides on M&P's have always been stainless steel. M&P's *can* rust, but even a Glock can rust. Keep the M&P slide wiped with a silicone cloth after each trip out and it'll be hunky dory.

If son likes the M&P Compact and shoots it well - get that. Or go rent some guns and get what he shoots best. Don't shy away from hammer fired guns either - I shoot a Beretta 92 better than any Glock or M&P. I went to Glock from my Beretta simply because holster selection for work purposes. Berettas, to me, shoot flatter, smoother, and with a softer recoil impulse and they're easier to shoot tigher groups with. @zackmars would probably recommend the P4X compact.

Another gun worth looking at would be the Canik TP9 lineup - they've got them from competition length to compacts, and subcompacts and micro compacts. Better triggers out the box than any Glock or M&P out there, and about 75% the cost of a Glock, or even less depending on the model and package - Academy had some a while back for about $400 after taxes.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Glocks have not had the "tennifer" finish in years that they are so famous for. That process is not ecologically friendly and they switched to another form of nitriding, similar to the Melonite QPQ finish Smith & Wesson uses. Additionally - Glocks still utilize a carbon steel slide, whereas the slides on M&P's have always been stainless steel. M&P's *can* rust, but even a Glock can rust. Keep the M&P slide wiped with a silicone cloth after each trip out and it'll be hunky dory.

If son likes the M&P Compact and shoots it well - get that. Or go rent some guns and get what he shoots best. Don't shy away from hammer fired guns either - I shoot a Beretta 92 better than any Glock or M&P. I went to Glock from my Beretta simply because holster selection for work purposes. Berettas, to me, shoot flatter, smoother, and with a softer recoil impulse and they're easier to shoot tigher groups with. @zackmars would probably recommend the P4X compact.

Another gun worth looking at would be the Canik TP9 lineup - they've got them from competition length to compacts, and subcompacts and micro compacts. Better triggers out the box than any Glock or M&P out there, and about 75% the cost of a Glock, or even less depending on the model and package - Academy had some a while back for about $400 after taxes.

While i like the px4, and I'd rather detail strip one than a 92, a glock is just so easy to deal with, and since the mag catch and magazine boddies are polymer, it won't pull a sig and seize open on you.

Top Bottom