Texas SOT

Am I missing something my whole life, how are they living?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I'm old, turned 69 this month and I have a question. I live near a small college town, in that town the McDonalds can't keep the dining area open due to the lack of employees. The grocery store can't keep the shelves stocked due to the lack of help, restaurants have closed due to lack of help. My guy at TSC tells me the average youthful employee lasts less than a week because they have to get up early and actually work. Seems everywhere I go, any town/city, it's the same thing stores can't find good help. So did UFO's come and take away a couple million people so we are just short, or are there just so many lazy f'ks now that don't work. Now to the big question, how do these lazy not working workers survive? I've been working since before I could drive and I'm still working, am I the one that's f'ked up?
    Guns International

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    a few reasons that come to mind:

Less teenagers working than previous generations.

Kids living off of mommy and daddy for much longer than in the past.

The people who are willing to work that would be applying for these jobs have more options for employment than they used to.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've been wondering the same thing myself for the past 2 years. I can't imagine the system is so f'd up that they would let people collect unemployment this long.

Nope, they can't - unemployment benefits still run out after a while. Even with the extensions that were tossed in during the Covid panic (which have since been discontinued) it runs out. I can't figure out how they get by, either.

Then again, I'd like to know how my redneck neighbor who does (half-assed) odd jobs here and there is able to afford his mortgage, gas for his F-250 that he's constantly dragging an empty flatbed trailer around on, gas for the other V8 pickup he tools around in with the toolbox body in place of the bed, the car his wife drives, food for the thirty or so constantly barking hunting dogs he's got, the ATV he drives around the neighborhood, and his bail money when he gets drunk and spends the night in jail.

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Nope, they can't - unemployment benefits still run out after a while. Even with the extensions that were tossed in during the Covid panic (which have since been discontinued) it runs out. I can't figure out how they get by, either.

Then again, I'd like to know how my redneck neighbor who does (half-assed) odd jobs here and there is able to afford his mortgage, gas for his F-250 that he's constantly dragging an empty flatbed trailer around on, gas for the other V8 pickup he tools around in with the toolbox body in place of the bed, the car his wife drives, food for the thirty or so constantly barking hunting dogs he's got, the ATV he drives around the neighborhood, and his bail money when he gets drunk and spends the night in jail.
    Hmm… onlyfans?

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball

He may have a side-gig that he keeps on the low-down.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!

Meth sales is the answer to your interrogatory...

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

Maybe he's cooking meth?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Soeaking just for the 16-19yo age group, over the last 20 years, they’ve gone from 1 in 4 enrolled in school and working to 1 in 5-6, depending on the given year. Age group population has been statistically steady, but that age group is spending more days in school and more days in extracurricular activities, with an increased emphasis on volunteer service, too.

Add to that close to a million working age folks have stopped working and stopped looking for work, and you wind up with around 2-3 million fewer workers overall.

What I think we’ll see play out over the next few decades is less a divide between the haves and the have nots and instead, the haves are going to spend a longer time, on average, getting there. Many teenagers today believe the science that brain development doesn’t end until 24-26 years of age and use that to justify delayed maturity. Parents who are seeing longer average life expectancy are, to a degree, selfishly encouraging delayed entry to the workforce due to fear of being squeezed out of a job in their prime earnings years.

The generation (post 1965) after boomers is smaller than the boomers but the generations following them (post 1980) are larger and therefore a threat in the workplace.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm old, turned 69 this month and I have a question. I live near a small college town, in that town the McDonalds can't keep the dining area open due to the lack of employees. The grocery store can't keep the shelves stocked due to the lack of help, restaurants have closed due to lack of help. My guy at TSC tells me the average youthful employee lasts less than a week because they have to get up early and actually work. Seems everywhere I go, any town/city, it's the same thing stores can't find good help. So did UFO's come and take away a couple million people so we are just short, or are there just so many lazy f'ks now that don't work. Now to the big question, how do these lazy not working workers survive? I've been working since before I could drive and I'm still working, am I the one that's f'ked up?
    Oh Lord. Are you talking about the Cottonwood General Store? I love that place. I spend as many of my Texas Tourist $$ there as I can. And with Louise at Wild Horse Station. She's a blast to talk to - If I have to go out of my way to stay there, I do. Nobody wants to stay in their small hometown - nothing new there, but the trend is growing.

Top Bottom