APOD Firearms

Am I missing something my whole life, how are they living?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    How many applications did you fill out when you noticed McD's, restaurants, and grocery store needed help? Just as a laugh you should apply and see how much each place is paying, I have a feeling that might explain why nobody wants to work at the jobs you describe. Not really enough information to tell whats going on your your college town adjacent residence, but Terlingua demographics seem to be:
    61% female
    median age is 61
    88% own their own homes
    average income is $44k/year
    Sounds more like a low-income or retirement village. Who is left to work in the low-end jobs?

Would you drive from the town over to work a $14/hour job since it doesn't look like many young people live there? How do you pay for that car as a young person? I'm not certain even if I lived with my parents I could reasonably afford a car on $14/hour, go to school, and do whatever else is needed today assuming I was between 16 and 25 again.
    Target Sports

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Would you drive from the town over to work a $14/hour job since it doesn't look like many young people live there? How do you pay for that car as a young person? I'm not certain even if I lived with my parents I could reasonably afford a car on $14/hour, go to school, and do whatever else is needed today assuming I was between 16 and 25 again.
    Yes I would do that before living off my parents as an adult. And I would not have had any choice, regardless. I would have been out on my ear if I had refused to get a job.

Mowed lawns starting at 9 YO. $2 for mowing, edging & trimming. Except for elderly neighbors, I wouldn't charge them but they absolutely insisted I take a dollar. Gunsmithing at 14 YO. Bought my own clothes starting in HS. Grocery store at 16 YO. Worked to pay my own way through college.

Sorry, no sympathy.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    How many applications did you fill out when you noticed McD's, restaurants, and grocery store needed help? Just as a laugh you should apply and see how much each place is paying, I have a feeling that might explain why nobody wants to work at the jobs you describe. Not really enough information to tell whats going on your your college town adjacent residence, but Terlingua demographics seem to be:
    61% female
    median age is 61
    88% own their own homes
    Sounds more like a low-income or retirement village. Who is left to work in the low-end jobs?

Hell, back in the late 70's when I was in high school, I worked at the local grocery store that was 6 miles away. I got paid $2.50 an hour (I thought I was hot shit since minimum wage was $2.35)

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My 3 grown kids always worked part-time beginning in high school...and we lived in a small town of less than 2k people so not as many opportunities. I noticed on the social security website that I've had reported income since I was 14yo. I did load cases of biscuits on the back of trucks when I was 13 but truck drivers paid me cash so that wasn't reported income.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    best-worst-states-jobs-usa.jpg

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    61% female
    median age is 61
    88% own their own homes

Here? The $7.65/hr minimum wage is a real "thing"...WallyWeird & many others only pay minimum wage/part time.

Maybe $8/hr at the machine shop! The drilling rig is $8.50/hr...

Sheetz, similar to your CircleK but much better, pays $15/hr & reimburses for college tuition (dependent on grade, of course).

Lets see? Which would I do....??

I totally understand the "sit at home & starve" outlook...

Your demographic may be different that here..Most of the jobs at WallyWeird, McD's, BurgerKing are held by Widow Women, older than me...When the mills & mines closed, they stole the pensions...(handed them over to the US Govt...the retiree is lucky if he gets fifteen cents on a dollar....and the widow gets half of that)

There are a few younger folk working at the KwikFill (United Refinery gas stations), and at Taco Smell....

The coal mine that is still working pays good...if you like underground work.

The Building Trades (the traditional escape from poverty here) are starving for men & women...

Now, lets talk about college for a minute....

I think college is SOLD to parents.

The top 5% of college grads actually get good jobs.

The next 10% to 15% land some drone job in an air conditioned yuppy office somewhere, laying around on their dead azz.

The rest? "Would you like fries with that?"...

Leaving them $100,000 in the hole with NO SKILLS...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'm old, turned 69 this month and I have a question. I live near a small college town, in that town the McDonalds can't keep the dining area open due to the lack of employees. The grocery store can't keep the shelves stocked due to the lack of help, restaurants have closed due to lack of help. My guy at TSC tells me the average youthful employee lasts less than a week because they have to get up early and actually work. Seems everywhere I go, any town/city, it's the same thing stores can't find good help. So did UFO's come and take away a couple million people so we are just short, or are there just so many lazy f'ks now that don't work. Now to the big question, how do these lazy not working workers survive? I've been working since before I could drive and I'm still working, am I the one that's f'ked up?
    i'm going with most are just lazy phuckers who want a job but don't want to work!s

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I worked in a machine shop, had to be 18, I changed the date by a year on my ID to get the job. I was still in high school and would cut a class to get more hours, minimum wage. I would sweep floors, weight count screws. Shop made aircraft screws, one at a time on a lathe. One job I did was put a screw in a clamp, bring down a saw blade to put a slot in screw head, one at a time. If I wanted a car it was on me for purchasing and insurance.

Guns308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Abilene
    I am a worker and will always be, I bet I am scheduled for a half day at the bodyshop on the day of my funeral. Drugs might be an issue. My Sheriff says that the only meth cooks in the states are old guys that are out of the pen and cooking for their personal use. Its too cheap from Mexico. They used to catch 1-3 pounds on a bust, now its not worth their time if its less than 50 pounds of meth. All the other drugs are cheaper than ever and pouring over the border now, thanks JB. Drugs will help the lazy kids start stealing for a living.
    I still think it boils down to the systematic breakdown of the family unit and our American values....values that may have gone by the wayside 20 years ago.

fourx4forfun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Kopperl, TX
    local coffee shop well 25 min drive closed due to issues with help, other restaurants including chain adjusted their hours due to lack of help. when i was laid off the last time I was in my 50s, nobody wants older people experienced or not, 1 interview they flat out said wanted to see you. unemployment was long gone, took a job for 40% of what had been making just to get gas and some groceries sweeping up a warehouse inside and parking to set it up to open up as a business. that lasted 2 weeks. sold my truck, went through savings. laid off 3 times and the older got the longer it took to get employed in or out of the field that had been in. definitely age discrimination big time, even a job counselor told me and adjusted my resume to weed out things that said was older. agree with must be dealing to pay utilities, gas, food. know some now not hurting and taking advantage of food banks, never did that as figure there were many far worse off than we were.

Top Bottom