• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have seen probably a hundred thousand rounds fired out of Glocks in the past year, and I cannot say the .40s have a significant rate of failure over the 9mm guns.

I don't discredit the guys that say that they experience them, but honestly ... there's alot of people out there that come from hard use environments and will negate a single pistol or gun for something that doesn't translate well to a civilian standpoint. If Gun A will hammer down 500 rounds before it gets problematic and Gun B will do 5000 rounds, then you'll find 1000 people on the internet downtalking Gun A for being a worthless pile of junk because Delta Force / SEALs / SAS / Mall Police don't use it and they heard it was a pile of junk because some guy stuck it in a block of ice and covered it in concrete and the gun didn't fire.

I only need 10 good rounds in all fairness. I'll take more, but it's not a necessity. More people need to be honest about choice and understand where opinions are coming from and what they are based off of before passing their own judgment.

I haven't seen that many but I've seen allot. And I've noticed that "the delta forces don't use that tho" argument a hundred times at the walmart gun counter. But My CZ 75 .40 has only had one failure and it was my fault. So unless the complaints are pretty widespread I tend to disregard them for the most part. From my limited experience most Glocks function in some pretty rough conditions and do what they were designed to do ride in a holster and shoot as many rounds that are needed and then go back in the holster to be ready to do it again.
    Lynx Defense

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    I own these: G35, G23 and G27. I've used the G35 in matches, training and range abuse and never failed me. The others have been reliable as well. The ONLY problem was using a Korean mag that caused a lot of failure to feed b/c of the spring.

Just stay away from the ones you can't shoot well.

Here's a great webpage discussing the Glock and catastrophic failures.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

FYI: The gunzone is Anti-Glock.

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    And I've noticed that "the delta forces don't use that tho" argument a hundred times at the walmart gun counter..

There are high speed units who made unit level purchases of Glock 22s...so I agree. What XYZ uses may be the absolute worst choice for a civilian or LEO. Different requirements and priorities. And even then, often times they wind up with a gun they don't like and don't use(enter the Navy and the Mk23.)

I don't agree with Texas1911 that a gun that can only shoot 500 rounds without issue is acceptable though. Many handgun courses will double or triple that number in a two or three day period...I don't want to be "that guy" who has an unreliable handgun that slows the entire class down.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    There are high speed units who made unit level purchases of Glock 22s...so I agree. What XYZ uses may be the absolute worst choice for a civilian or LEO.

I don't agree with Texas1911 that a gun that can only shoot 500 rounds without issue is acceptable though. Many handgun courses will double or triple that number in a two or three day period...I don't want to be "that guy" who has an unreliable handgun that slows the entire class down.

cause you can't clean your gun at any point in a 2 or 3 day course?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I was just discussing a similar topic with a buddy of mine. He has an HK usp 40, I have a glock 19. He has a nice gun, but I wouldn't pay what he did. He said something about muddy water and crud douwn the barrel, and blah blah blah. That might be important if I go mud wrestling in the swamps with a 2 day gun fight. Odds are I'm going to be just fine here in real life as a medical student.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

Your training class is not a realistic measure of how LEO or a Civilian is going to experience in a shooting situation. How many LEOs or Civilians have been involved in a shootout that involved more than 50 rounds fired?

An operator running around in Afghanistan in the dust and dirt in all kinds of climates is quantitatively different than me sitting with my Glock on the dresser. If my gun is dirty, I clean it. If it's got a bad magazine, I go to the store and buy one. If it breaks, I order parts and fix it. The odds of me getting into a gun battle while I'm waiting on my $10 part is 99% less than his. If I shoot at someone the are going to run away in the gross majority of situations. If he shoots at someone, they have a tendency to stick around and shoot back.

This is like going to a tractor store and buying a lawnmower for a 10,000 acre ranch and yet you plan to mow just the front yard every two weeks. Sure it'll do the job, and it'll do it fast, but is it really necessary? Not really.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    500 rounds? That's only like 4 or 5 weekends worth of shooting, lol... I don't own any Glocks but would very much like to have a G17 or G19. If someone sees any of them for around $300 let me know

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    Your training class is not a realistic measure of how LEO or a Civilian is going to experience in a shooting situation. How many LEOs or Civilians have been involved in a shootout that involved more than 50 rounds fired?
    Very few will take a class with a round count above what the NRA style classes do. Fewer will do more than one of those classes or compete. Fewer still will ever get in a gunfight. And almost nobody, military, police, nor civilian will get into a gunfight that takes 50 rounds(much less a pistol fight.)

I don't mean to imply that any Glock other than 9mm is a POS. Clearly there are enough of them functioning fine to imply that they're a fine choice. Just not as fine as the 9mm guns when a light is attached(which considering how great the 9mm guns are, leaves plenty of room.) ;)

Heck, one member confirmed that without a light attached his 23 runs fine, but not so much with one attached. Sample of one I know...but all I'm saying is that they aren't perfect. Hopefully the new recoil springs solve any issues. Also worth noting that like the NYPD phase three malfunction with the Glock 19, the problem either exists in your particular gun/magazine combo or it does not. If there's any concern, mount a weaponlight with a metal housing and shoot it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Very few will take a class with a round count above what the NRA style classes do. Fewer will do more than one of those classes or compete. Fewer still will ever get in a gunfight. And almost nobody, military, police, nor civilian will get into a gunfight that takes 50 rounds(much less a pistol fight.)

I don't mean to imply that any Glock other than 9mm is a POS. Clearly there are enough of them functioning fine to imply that they're a fine choice. Just not as fine as the 9mm guns when a light is attached(which considering how great the 9mm guns are, leaves plenty of room.) ;)

Heck, one member confirmed that without a light attached his 23 runs fine, but not so much with one attached. Sample of one I know...but all I'm saying is that they aren't perfect. Hopefully the new recoil springs solve any issues. Also worth noting that like the NYPD phase three malfunction with the Glock 19, the problem either exists in your particular gun/magazine combo or it does not. If there's any concern, mount a weaponlight with a metal housing and shoot it.

Then the real issue is a .40 Glock with a light, not just the .40 Glock. Is the issue centered to .40 or does the switch to .357 SIG remedy the situation?

One thing I noticed about the new Gen 4 is that the slide is lightened. I am going to see if I can get a scale to weigh the two side by side. The reinforcement from the breech to muzzle is no longer there on the Gen 4.

1.jpg

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    Then the real issue is a .40 Glock with a light, not just the .40 Glock. Is the issue centered to .40 or does the switch to .357 SIG remedy the situation?
    As I understand it, the issue is/was exclusively with the 40's, and exclusively with a light mounted. Particularly a light with a metal housing like the Surefire X series...unfortunately about the best pistol light around. It's also my understanding that these problems were not something that would develop over time, if you're .40 works with a light then continue to drive on and don't worry.

I think it should be noted that certain users have had issues with different guns while many others used the same guns without issue. An example would be NYPD's terrible experiences with the second generation Glock 19.

Excellent point about the slide being lightened on the Gen 4 guns...I hadn't noticed it as I'm holding out for a Gen4 19. I'm very optimistic about Gen4 in general, I think no backstrap added will be perfect for me. I am slightly concerned about Glock changing the recoil spring on the 9mm guns though, as I didn't see anything that needed fixing there. Perhaps they're claiming longer service life for the recoil spring?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My assumption is that light slide + dual rate spring = less recoil = more "recoil sensitive" people like them.

Everyone wants a light weight, all metal, perfectly reliable gun with enough energy to sink a battleship but with absolutely no recoil and a 85 round magazine ... with adjustable sights preconfigured for a right handed shooter with a flinch.

Glock_Home_Security

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Carrollton
    Glocks are great guns... I would recommend it only if you've had enough experince handling and have had guns before.... Glock arent starter guns. If I were you, I'd go with the Glock 23 3rd Gen model... if your looking to conceal it or even have it as a home security..... it'll do great for you!

thopkins22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Houston
    with adjustable sights preconfigured for a right handed shooter with a flinch.

There was a thread on 10-8 forums about a guy that got a set of Novak sights that had the rear sight machined off center. According to him(and 10-8 isn't a place for BS,) Novak responded that there wasn't an issue, they were machined this way because Glocks "shoot left." So hurry up and unlearn that proper trigger control....

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    There was a thread on 10-8 forums about a guy that got a set of Novak sights that had the rear sight machined off center. According to him(and 10-8 isn't a place for BS,) Novak responded that there wasn't an issue, they were machined this way because Glocks "shoot left." So hurry up and unlearn that proper trigger control....

lol

bjl95mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I decieded to buy a G22. It's a gen 3 with the light rail. I paid $309 for it with 3 15 round mags.

It was a service trade in. Has some wear but overall looks good. Needs a good cleaning.

Top Bottom