• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    SIL emailed today, wondering about StarLink. Anybody use it? He has Hughes at the ranch and it is terrible. I know about it but don't use it. Any comments helpful!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't have it, or game anymore for that mater, but people are reporting 40-60ms latency on Starlink. The main issue tho is when it needs to transition from one constellation to another, your internet will breifly drop as the dish moves to track the next constellation.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    SIL emailed today, wondering about StarLink. Anybody use it? He has Hughes at the ranch and it is terrible. I know about it but don't use it. Any comments helpful!

Two rusty soup cans with a string between them will give her faster and more reliable internet than HughesNet. She's paying $100+ every month for dial-up speed if her service is anything like what we had.

She'll need to make sure Starlink is available in her area - it's not up to full coverage in the continental US yet. If it's not, she should look at line-of-sight wireless providers if there's no wired options where she is. The only downside is needing line-of-sight to the provider's transmitter for your receiver, but that's what I've got now (and what I had before when I lived outside Austin) and as long as you can make the connection it's fast and much more reliable than Hughes.

Like Eli, I've heard nothing but good reviews of Starlink. Availability seems to be the major issue.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    My brother uses StarLink and reports it is great. The true test of how good StarLink is however came from my mother. She said his StarLink was almost as good as she has at her home. My mother is a demanding internet user.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Speeds vary between 20-100 mbs download and 5-20 mbs upload based on satellite constellation saturation.

1698251621157.png

Decent latency due to low earth orbit. As mentioned, satellite hand off creates sub-second interruptions many times an hour.

1698251773419.png

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    I've got one. Used it for work for a number of months, have fiber now. Still used it when taking the travel teailer somewhere and I need to work from a state park.

It is solid. Expensive. Needs clear LOS.

If you don't have cable or fiber available, easily the best choice.

If you go camping a lot and work remote, indispensable.

The tech is pretty amazing.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    We used it up until fiber optic made its way to us.
    It was good and we would not have switched, but we live in a semi wooded area and there were times when line of site was a problem.

We still have it and inend to use it with our RV.

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    We used it up until fiber optic made its way to us.
    It was good and we would not have switched, but we live in a semi wooded area and there were times when line of site was a problem.

We still have it and inend to use it with our RV.
    ++

When we eventually move to middle of nowhere, I'll either roof mount or get a proper tower pole.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Two rusty soup cans with a string between them will give her faster and more reliable internet than HughesNet. She's paying $100+ every month for dial-up speed if her service is anything like what we had.

She'll need to make sure Starlink is available in her area - it's not up to full coverage in the continental US yet. If it's not, she should look at line-of-sight wireless providers if there's no wired options where she is. The only downside is needing line-of-sight to the provider's transmitter for your receiver, but that's what I've got now (and what I had before when I lived outside Austin) and as long as you can make the connection it's fast and much more reliable than Hughes.

Like Eli, I've heard nothing but good reviews of Starlink. Availability seems to be the major issue.
    You had better luck with Hughesnet than we did.
    Starlink sats are in lower orbits, so the latencies are supposed to be reduced. Plus, they built in redundancy.
    Like others, most of what I have heard of Starlink has been positive.

Psssniper

Broke down south of Dallas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Corsicana
    Down here in Corsicana starlinks all good. While the starlink reports these speeds, the black background, oolka has different numbers, the gray background. All are faster than anything else here.

IMG_2260.png

IMG_2268.png

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

We were on a « Beta list » for years; now on StarLInk about a month.

Our local tech Guy & one of the Universities checked my connections and pronpounced them « good ».

I’m doing some remote consultations for an East Coast Med School; and have not noticed any ISP trouble with StarLink.

But, the service is a bit more expensive than we were first led to believe.

leVieux

<>

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I hate Starlink. There are so many of them in orbit that they interfere with my astrophotography. Sometimes I'll capture a whole string of the damn things. The night sky now has thousands of them. Musk likes them. Over 5,000 now. Nearly 12,000 satellites are planned to be deployed, with a possible later extension to 42,000. Here's one streaking across the top a photo I took of the Orion Nebula.

IMG_6008.jpeg

TNHoosier

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2021
    Monkeytown
    My SIL was on the wait list. He is a software engineer and works from home a lot. A fiber company came to their area before his name came up for Starlink.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom