• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Fiber optic cable is just (part of) the physical transmission line from your home to tie into their (whoever 'they' are) network. The hand-off to the back-end is typically the bottle neck. After that you are still dependent on their network: routers, switches, servers, etc..

The bandwidth on fiber is "dedicated" compared to cable, but read the fine print to see what they are really guaranteeing compared to what they are advertising/billing for. Cable, by comparison, is shared (the more people surfing, the slower the speeds).
    Right. Speed is determined by the slowest device in the path.
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

We have had StarLink a few months now; the only negative has been that the actual cost is several times what it was marketed as a few years back when we got on their Beta list.

B/F we disconnected out prior ISP, we had signal strength tested a few times by both our local Computer Guy and the University’s I-T Folks.

So far, we are happy w/ StarLink.

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Are y'all losing starlink when it storms?
    <>

I had one very brief loss during a severe thunderstorm. It came back on within some 10 or 15 seconds.

I’m online with heavy data uses a few hours/day doing remote Brain, Spine, & Head-&-Neck cancer consults for University Med Centers. StarLink is the best we have had here.

Was called back out of retirement by a former Physician-Trainee to help with post-COVID overloads.

<>

SabreFirearms

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2023
    Cleburne TX
    <>

I had one very brief loss during a severe thunderstorm. It came back on within some 10 or 15 seconds.

I’m online with heavy data uses a few hours/day doing remote Brain, Spine, & Head-&-Neck cancer consults for University Med Centers. StarLink is the best we have had here.

Was called back out of retirement by a former Physician-Trainee to help with post-COVID overloads.

<>
    I lose it whenever it storms, going to change the mounting position a bit and re-test.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Fiber optic cable is just (part of) the physical transmission line from your home to tie into their (whoever 'they' are) network. The hand-off to the back-end is typically the bottle neck. After that you are still dependent on their network: routers, switches, servers, etc..

The bandwidth on fiber is "dedicated" compared to cable, but read the fine print to see what they are really guaranteeing compared to what they are advertising/billing for. Cable, by comparison, is shared (the more people surfing, the slower the speeds).
    I don't need to read the fine print. It's AT&T so I know it is going to be less that what is promised.
    BTW, I had nothing to do with it, My wife signed up for it.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I lose it whenever it storms, going to change the mounting position a bit and re-test.
    <>

Yes, we live in a forest, hundreds of oak, cypress & pecan tres on our 3.5 ac lot.

We were advised to try StarLink antenna in convenient place, but that it may need to be moved. As the 2 trees interfering now are large live oaks, looks that we’ll have to move it.

It is much better with weather than “Dish” of “Direct TV”.

<>

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    <>

Yes, we live in a forest, hundreds of oak, cypress & pecan tres on our 3.5 ac lot.

We were advised to try StarLink antenna in convenient place, but that it may need to be moved. As the 2 trees interfering now are large live oaks, looks that we’ll have to move it.

<>
    Yes, my Dish went out many times last night, Starlink just the one time.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    <>

<>
    When I first got DirecTV years ago when you had to purchase the equipment, I mounted it to the side of my house. Worked great until spring and the leaves started growing. Moved it out into the yard on a 4' pipe in cement. Worked great for a few years, started losing the signal when the trees started growing. Knocked it down and replaced with 8' pipe, then I moved.

zonearc0

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2024
    SMITHVILLE
    I've been using Starlink for a few years. We used it at our old house that didn't have the option for anything else. We moved so now I use it as a backup for my fiber internet that isn't always up since it's a smaller rural ISP. We also have the mobile RV kit we keep in our Class A motorhome for whenever we travel/camp/offroad.

Reactions: Eli

zonearc0

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 15, 2024
    SMITHVILLE
    My experience is as follows:

It's good if you have no other option. But, its not that reliable in TX. The downlink (location on the ground) has a lot of outages and they'll outright lie about where the instability is. Their support staff is trained to essentially throw FUD at how you mounted the dish long before they own up to having issues there.
    If you have quality mobile towers with 5g in the area, try Tmobile's home internet first. But, if they go down frequently you should try Starlink. The problem with Starlink is you can't really return the equipment, meaning if you don't like it you'll need to sell the equipment on ebay. So, make Starlink your last resort.

People's numbers are inflated. They use starlinks speedtests which show inflated #s. Test with Ookla/Speedtest.net and THEN see what you get. I get a solid 25mbps down and ~10 mbps up virtually anywhere in the south with my mobile RV setup. With a permanently mounted home setup (which isn't throttled) I can get 100mbps+ at 3am, but during regular hours when everyone is awake, its frankly around the same as my mobile setup. And that's on a 50' pole with zero trees, in a field, and shielded cables with no interference.

Reactions: Eli

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've been using Starlink for a few years. We used it at our old house that didn't have the option for anything else. We moved so now I use it as a backup for my fiber internet that isn't always up since it's a smaller rural ISP. We also have the mobile RV kit we keep in our Class A motorhome for whenever we travel/camp/offroad.

Welcome to the Forum!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My experience is as follows:

It's good if you have no other option. But, its not that reliable in TX. The downlink (location on the ground) has a lot of outages and they'll outright lie about where the instability is. Their support staff is trained to essentially throw FUD at how you mounted the dish long before they own up to having issues there.
    If you have quality mobile towers with 5g in the area, try Tmobile's home internet first. But, if they go down frequently you should try Starlink. The problem with Starlink is you can't really return the equipment, meaning if you don't like it you'll need to sell the equipment on ebay. So, make Starlink your last resort.

People's numbers are inflated. They use starlinks speedtests which show inflated #s. Test with Ookla/Speedtest.net and THEN see what you get. I get a solid 25mbps down and ~10 mbps up virtually anywhere in the south with my mobile RV setup. With a permanently mounted home setup (which isn't throttled) I can get 100mbps+ at 3am, but during regular hours when everyone is awake, its frankly around the same as my mobile setup. And that's on a 50' pole with zero trees, in a field, and shielded cables with no interference.
    I've had Starlink for the past month, and I've found it very reliable. Maybe your location in Texas is the problem. Certainly fiber optic would be my first choice if it were available in my area. I've been more impressed with Starlink's latency, it's been consistently between 25 and 40 ms, which beats any other satellite service by far.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Howdy! I currently work exclusively rural and small town internet/telecommunications with a prior background in high-data satellite communications.

Starlink is going to vary greatly in performance and reliability based on where you are geographically, where in the constellation you happen to be in the time, how many people around you are also using it, as well as various other environmental and networking factors at any given time.

Starlink has a lot of advantages over traditional geostationary VSAT ISP’s in that they are a low-earth orbit constellation which means your signals have much shorter distances to travel back-and-forth. It also opens up a much wider selection of frequencies to use which are less likely to be interfered with by environmental factors (though they are still “in outer space” and it will still happen, and it becomes more likely to have signals interference as well on more heavily trafficked bands). Their greatest current advantage is that their service is still relatively low-traffic compared to ISP’s like HighesNet and ViaSat, which use older and very overloaded geostationary satellites which are harder and more expensive to replace or add to. However, that likely will change over time. The waitlist is only partially because of parts manufacturing and availability; the other reason is that they do not want to outrun their system’s physical ability to provide the services they claim (ie “over-selling”).

The reality for rural ISP’s is that there is no one best single one to use. Every different kind of ISP infrastructure method has advantages and disadvantages, and it’s up to you as the consumer to find which one is right for you, and which company within those categories can provide the best service to you.

I’m always available to answer questions about rural ISP’s to the best of my knowledge if anyone has any.

Psssniper

Broke down south of Dallas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2020
    Corsicana
    Found out how responsive Starlink is when things go south. Signal became intermittent then non existent 10am 2/14/24 The app had a msg on the main page that there was a starlink to router cable issue, which I researched and read was an issue. They recommended unplug and plug back in. I powered off, unplugged and replugged at router and dish a couple times and then powered back up. Same issue. Sent a ticket and almost immediately received no less that 9 emails confirming that a new cable was on the way. They seem to have had two people responding and I got two shipping notices, each for a new cable. I responded to the ticket that I only need one but thanks for the overwhelming response. They then responded "we checked your system and the dish is fine, cable is mostly bad and your router may be questionable so we'll just replace them all.They sent me a new router, cable and the ethernet adaptor as well on 2/16/24 which arrived 2/20/24. I installed everything and we're back up and running.

Only issues we ever have is weather related when signal is lost due to very heavy rain.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom