• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    While on vacation in a Texas location with heavy tourism, I stopped at a convenience store. The store had a "51%" sign posted. It is an ordinary convenience store with no on premises license. Is this an appropriate use of this sign? I thought that particular sign was for restaurants and bars, not stores.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    While on vacation in a Texas location with heavy tourism, I stopped at a convenience store. The store had a "51%" sign posted. It is an ordinary convenience store with no on premises license. Is this an appropriate use of this sign? I thought that particular sign was for restaurants and bars, not stores.

I asked a similar question to a friend who carries a lot and he mentioned something about official signs having a quarter sized something on it. And that old schoolers will bring a quarter with them and hold the quarter up to this emblem and if it is not the same size, they know it is not an official sign and they just printed it up.

Can someone clarify this? And then, I wonder if this store was using an unofficial one.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

The sign was incorrectly posted. 51% is for places that sell for on premise consumption and is not applicable to a convenience store.

It can be lawfully ignored.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    The sign was incorrectly posted. 51% is for places that sell for off premise consumption and is not applicable to a convenience store.

It can be lawfully ignored.

Do you know anything about using a quarter (or other coin) to determine if a sign is official or not? It was mentioned by a friend who didn't remember how it worked.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I asked a similar question to a friend who carries a lot and he mentioned something about official signs having a quarter sized something on it. And that old schoolers will bring a quarter with them and hold the quarter up to this emblem and if it is not the same size, they know it is not an official sign and they just printed it up.

Can someone clarify this? And then, I wonder if this store was using an unofficial one.

I have no idea what that means. The sign is not what keeps you from carrying in a 51% place, it is the status of the location. If it is 51% and they fail to post you have a defense you can offer in court if arrested and charged.

I have found that some places order a complete sign package from the printer and then just hang em all up. A call to TABC will result in a correction.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I have no idea what that means. The sign is not what keeps you from carrying in a 51% place, it is the status of the location. If it is 51% and they fail to post you have a defense you can offer in court if arrested and charged.

I have found that some places order a complete sign package from the printer and then just hang em all up. A call to TABC will result in a correction.

I believe he is referring to using a quarter to determine if the letters on a 30.06 sign are 1" in height.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Perhaps, but the thread is about 51%. Coboblack, can you clarify?

Possibly, like I said. I asked a question about the 51% and he casually mentioned some people using a quarter to determine if signs are legit. He admitted he didn't know for sure what they were saying so it is possible that he was crossing stories. Thats why I wanted to ask, to see if there was any truth to it.

Looks to me they were talking about the 30.06 sign. Thanks.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Possibly, like I said. I asked a question about the 51% and he casually mentioned some people using a quarter to determine if signs are legit. He admitted he didn't know for sure what they were saying so it is possible that he was crossing stories. Thats why I wanted to ask, to see if there was any truth to it.

Looks to me they were talking about the 30.06 sign. Thanks.

I have never examined it, but does a quarter relate in size somehow to the 1 inch letters required for 30.06 signs?

I seldom carry change anymore, but that seems useful if it relates.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    I have never examined it, but does a quarter relate in size somehow to the 1 inch letters required for 30.06 signs?

A quarter is 0.955 inches so pretty damn close to an inch. If something on a sign is supposed to be one inch, then yeah you can use it to determine if it is an inch or not.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Yea, as stated by cobo the quarter is .955 in diameter, so the idea is, if the letters are larger than the quarter in height then they meet the size requirement.

Top Bottom