• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I guess it's easier than carrying a ruler around. But just to be pedantic, .955 isn't an inch, but if you add the thickness of the quarter (approximately .067", depending on wear) to it's diameter you will get an inch plus .022.

Yes, I'm bored...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I guess it's easier than carrying a ruler around. But just to be pedantic, .955 isn't an inch, but if you add the thickness of the quarter (approximately .067", depending on wear) to it's diameter you will get an inch plus .022.

Yes, I'm bored...

Thus the requirement that the letters be taller than the quarter.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston

Yes, I'm bored...

I'm probably having a brain fart moment, but what does the thickness (or width) have to do with the length of the diameter of a quater? The quater is just short of being an inch from top to bottom, so if the letters are taller than the quater....its an inch (or more).

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    He is alluding to the fact that the quarter is NOT an inch in diameter so the only way to measure an inch using spare change would be to have two quarters. Using both the diameter and thickness to determine length.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Veering somewhat back on topic... I was discussing the technicalities of 30.06 signs with a coworker, and he asked "What, do you measure the letters or something? The sign says what it says, the dimensions are kind of a technicality if they're close enough." I reminded him that any prosecutor can use a minor technicality to convict you of a crime, so it's perfectly reasonable to know the technicalities that can work in your defense. This includes misplaced signs, signage not applicable to the premises, wording and format, etc. I suspect the law is very specific on those points in order to remove subjective interpretation and place more of a burden on restriction than compliance according to the law.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Veering somewhat back on topic... I was discussing the technicalities of 30.06 signs with a coworker, and he asked "What, do you measure the letters or something? The sign says what it says, the dimensions are kind of a technicality if they're close enough." I reminded him that any prosecutor can use a minor technicality to convict you of a crime, so it's perfectly reasonable to know the technicalities that can work in your defense. This includes misplaced signs, signage not applicable to the premises, wording and format, etc. I suspect the law is very specific on those points in order to remove subjective interpretation and place more of a burden on restriction than compliance according to the law.

Which, to my understanding is exactly the reason somebody figured out the whole quarter thing.

Top Bottom