• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I brought back some Pioneer and Kenwood stereo equipment form my military duty in Asia during the early 70s. I really enjoyed it until it was lost in a divorce. The replacement equipment has more power and features but will never be equal to the older equipment.

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Yeah, 1981 Sony PS-LX510 linear tracking turntable, Teac reel to real, and a Kenwood amp. Open reel deck and amp are probably early 80's. Have an old 8 track player but I'm into vinyl more than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnoliaTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Texas
    Yeah, 1981 Sony PS-LX510 linear tracking turntable, Teac reel to real, and a Kenwood amp. Open reel deck and amp are probably early 80's. Have an old 8 track player but I'm into vinyl more than anything else.

I bet that Teac sounds sweet!

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Sure does. All of my vintage audio equipment was my dad's, so it was well taken care of and is in great condition. The Teac is probably thirty-five pounds or more. They used real wood back in the day. That thing is heavy. The only tapes I have are tapes he recorded either from vinyl or the radio. But he had good taste in music so it's all good stuff.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG Yes, Vinyl rules, and tubes make vinyl sound elegant. The current methodology in rating amp output is not the same as they used during the tube amp and even the discrete component era. Your 60s and 70s amps rated at 35 watts would push about 200 by current formula.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Have a Yamaha Pyramid amp, Rotel preamp that pushed ESS AMT1’s(flood took those) or a pair of Norman Labs and a Philips turntable. All 80’s.

A t-amp is feeding Klipsch horns or Bowers and Wilkins at present.

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    T
    Have a Yamaha Pyramid amp, Rotel preamp that pushed ESS AMT1’s(flood took those) or a pair of Norman Labs and a Philips turntable. All 80’s.

A t-amp is feeding Klipsch horns or Bowers and Wilkins at present.
    Thats some good stuff. The best of the 80s. I have a sweet Philips turn table also. I managed to find nice new Shure v15 cartridge about 10 years ago. I am almost afraid to use it as I will never be able to replace it, unless I sell a kidney.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Two unrelated but on-topic bits -

I will never give up my NAD 3120. :)

I saw an auctioneer selling a storeroom full of stuff once. Out came a Marantz 8B. He had no idea what it was so he started the bidding at $5. Two guys in the audience knew what it was. I've never seen an auctioneer more shocked as this one when it finally sold somewhere north of $800...and that was 20 years ago. Heaven knows what one would cost today.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Two unrelated but on-topic bits -

I will never give up my NAD 3120. :)

I saw an auctioneer selling a storeroom full of stuff once. Out came a Marantz 8B. He had no idea what it was so he started the bidding at $5. Two guys in the audience knew what it was. I've never seen an auctioneer more shocked as this one when it finally sold somewhere north of $800...and that was 20 years ago. Heaven knows what one would cost today.
    Autophiles are as bad as gun nuts, they see a 60s and 70s Fisher, Marantz, Teac, Yamaha, and several others, they get a woodie. If you want to see something absolutly nuts look up a new old stock Western Electric 300B. That the autophiles touchstone.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Hey, if I ever decide I like some vintage horns that only need 2 watts to drive them, you better believe I'll be auditioning amps festooned with 300B tubes! :)

On the serious side, though, I've been shocked to see old tubes going back into production decades after the classic makers discontinued them.

What's next? Flashbulbs? Come to think of it, I can't think of any way to put out as much light as a #2 bulb without lugging around equipment that's literally 1000 times the weight and bulk. I wonder if there's a business opportunity there.

I think that last paragraph was a joke...but I'm not sure. :)

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    T

Thats some good stuff. The best of the 80s. I have a sweet Philips turn table also. I managed to find nice new Shure v15 cartridge about 10 years ago. I am almost afraid to use it as I will never be able to replace it, unless I sell a kidney.

I had Micro Acoustics 2002e cartridge and stylus. I didn’t allow anyone but my wife put on or change an album. One day I came home to the stylus bent down to 90 degrees. My educated idiot exwife decided it prudent to teach our 3yo son how to...

Critical mass reached.

I had friends at stores in Houston and I got a replacement at cost.

Three hours of playtime later...phuckballs! She did it again.

Last edited:

jwhistler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    Arlington
    I have 3 complete sets. A carver ct-22 preamplifier and tfm-15cb poweramp, a Marantz av550 preamplifier , mm9000 power amplifier and a yamaha cx830 preamplifier m50 power amplifier. That I rotate about every 6 months. Speakers are cerwin vega re30s and jbl nd31011.
    Yea I like vintage firearms and stereo equipment. On days when it's to hot or cold and nasty outside to go shooting. I stay home and listen/play with the stereo equipment.
    20220804_115630.jpg

jwhistler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2014
    Arlington
    I still love vintage audio. One day if I ever have the disposable money, I'll invest in a system similar to what I had forty years ago. a Kenwood rack system. AM/FM tuner, amplifier, Equalizer, dual cassette player, turntable and huge honking, ground pounding speakers!
    Watch facebook market old systems get listed every once in awhile. Just remember some electronic parts degrade with age and will need to replaced.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom