• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Watch facebook market old systems get listed every once in awhile. Just remember some electronic parts degrade with age and will need to replaced.

Definitely true, plus that forty-plus year old grease turns into clay. Not difficult to remove and regrease but you have to get inside to do it. Had to do this on my Teac. Old grease will slow things down or stop them completely. Take care with those brittle plastic pieces, too. It's easy to make a bad situation worse when you're inside old equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Hey, if I ever decide I like some vintage horns that only need 2 watts to drive them, you better believe I'll be auditioning amps festooned with 300B tubes! :)

On the serious side, though, I've been shocked to see old tubes going back into production decades after the classic makers discontinued them.

What's next? Flashbulbs? Come to think of it, I can't think of any way to put out as much light as a #2 bulb without lugging around equipment that's literally 1000 times the weight and bulk. I wonder if there's a business opportunity there.

I think that last paragraph was a joke...but I'm not sure. :)
    The speakers I am running have a 4" horn tweeter, 10" horn midrange and 15" cone woofer. Takes a hand truck to move them.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I still love vintage audio. One day if I ever have the disposable money, I'll invest in a system similar to what I had forty years ago. a Kenwood rack system. AM/FM tuner, amplifier, Equalizer, dual cassette player, turntable and huge honking, ground pounding speakers!
    How about a reel to reel player, that was a hot setup back then.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How about a reel to reel player, that was a hot setup back then.
    I've got two, along with shelves of albums. And they're not dubs; they're the albums put out by the record company on tape.

It's still the hot setup.

If I knew in 1970 what I know now, I would have never bought an LP or any other form of playback media except reel-to-reel tapes. They last, they're easy to dub for back-up copies, and they still (arguably) sound better than anything else.

I might, by this time, be acquiring double bitrate or higher DSD downloads. I emphasize "might." IME, that's the only thing that comes closer to tape than LPs. Red book CDs were absolute trash for their first 20 years and only became listenable about the time that downloads became a smarter choice.

BTW, if anybody wants to argue over digital formats, count me out. That's another holy war of which I steer clear, despite the inflammatory statements in the previous paragraph. :)

Still have a high end turntable and several hundred albums.

I have a mediocre turntable and ~25K albums in the house. I've got ~5K more in storage. I always figured that turntables are easy to upgrade but if you fail to buy an album when you want it, you may never find it again.

Gathers dust.

I'm ashamed to admit that I can say the same. Given my age and changing priorities, I'm seriously considering selling every album, tape, and laserdisc I've got as well as most of the hardware.

Anybody know where to get the best price for LPs?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The speakers I am running have a 4" horn tweeter, 10" horn midrange and 15" cone woofer.
    Serious question - Did they come out of a movie theater? There are "home" speakers with specs like that but there are also plenty of speakers living a second life in someone's home after serving decades in theaters.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Not vintage home audio, and I don't have any of it any more, but the best sounding car audio setup I ever had was "vintage" gear. Nakamichi cassette in-dash, Nakamichi 4x35 amp, Carver 2x120 amp, and all Infinity Kappa drivers.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I had Akai and Teac open reel decks. I would spend hours at Kadena Airbase copying music to a Nakamichi cassette deck. The stereo and camera equipment consumed much of my military pay every month.

Was it a Nakaflop or a Flipamichi?

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I had Akai and Teac open reel decks. I would spend hours at Kadena Airbase copying music to a Nakamichi cassette deck. The stereo and camera equipment consumed much of my military pay every month.
    My friend was stationed on Crete with the Air Force when he came home he had a sweet reel to reel with hours of music on the tape's.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    My turntable I have I bought new in the early '90's. I don't currently have an amp so it just sits. I do have an operational RCA console from the late '60's to play records on. My buddy got into this stuff a few years ago and rebuilt a '76 Marantz 6300 (converted the lighting to LED and did some other stuff).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Serious question - Did they come out of a movie theater? There are "home" speakers with specs like that but there are also plenty of speakers living a second life in someone's home after serving decades in theaters.
    Nope. Home audio made by a small outfit based out of DFW (out of business for decades now).

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not vintage home audio, and I don't have any of it any more, but the best sounding car audio setup I ever had was "vintage" gear. Nakamichi cassette in-dash, Nakamichi 4x35 amp, Carver 2x120 amp, and all Infinity Kappa drivers.
    Remember the Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck?

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I have a late 80s Technics SL-DL1 linear drive turntable going through a Marantz receiver and some enormous thrift store Polk speakers. Everything sounds awesome. I use the Marantz because it has a built-in RF demodulator for my Pioneer CLD-79 laserdisc player, which is also hooked up to 120 lb CRT projector.

Attachments

• IMG_20210624_191001179.jpg
      IMG_20210624_191001179.jpg
      338.8 KB · Views: 45

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    My uncle has oprea house speakers built into the cabinets in his sound room. Not sure if the wall of speakers in the organ room are still there since the pipe organ was sold a couple years ago.

If your items have LCD/digital displays, are they really vintage. The cool stuff I see has needles.

Top Bottom