• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Looks like the site is up for sale: bizjournals.com Hot Wells Shooting Range site in Cypress for sale

"A 48-acre property that was once the site of Hot Wells Shooting Range has hit the market with an initial asking price of $8.5 million."

photos-from-video00004*280xx3240-2160-300-0.jpg
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It will never be a gun range again.
    It will never be a profitable range again. It could be a wonderful, safe range. There are fully baffled range designs that would work but nobody would sink all those millions of dollars into such a prospect. There are much more obvious ways to make a ton of money off that plot.

It's sad, really.

Daley_G

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2021
    Cypress
    If I'm not mistaken, the family also uses the land for a (grossly overpriced) tree-trimming business - Stick's if I recall correctly.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I remember going there back in the 1980s. There was a kid sitting in a corner of the building reloading shotgun shells. He looked to be maybe 8 or 9 years old. On a table was a freshly cooked brisket, a large knife, a loaf of bread, a cigar box, and a sign saying sandwiches were some price. (I can't remember, but for some reason $2 sticks in my head.) Yeah, it was the old "honor system". You got a couple of slices of bread, sliced up some brisket on them, and put a couple of bucks in the cigar box.

I worked for Tenneco and we used to have a range up at the company employee's golf and picnic facility in Hockley. We had to close it down because of a neighbor (who lived the opposite direction of the range, but claimed people were shooting at him, every day.) We made arrangements with Hot Wells and with a shooting range that used to be at the end of Gosling Road in Spring. I had problems every month with the accounting folks because they'd enter "hotwells" or "hot wells" or "hot well", and the system would tell them it didn't exist. They'd create a new account and delete the old ones and so the folks at Hot Wells would call me and complain they weren't getting paid. I lived in Spring by that time and mostly shot at the Gosling Road range. It was a good place, but they had made some sort of deal with The Woodlands that if the area that bordered them was ever developed that they'd sell the property and stop being a shooting range. Back in those days, Carter's Country was the biggest range around, and it wasn't a bad place, except for occasional attitude problems. Things always change, just not always for the better.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I was shooting at two places, Hot Wells because they were outside. Boyerts is indoors, which is good when the weather isn't. I prefer outdoors, better lighting for old eyes. Last I heard was Hot Wells was reduced to shotguns and for members only.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I wonder if they know the cost of the environmental cleanup required to change the use of the land.
    All of that lead has to be taken out of the ground
    This.

Probably would cost as much as the property by the time all the permitting was done along with hauling all that topsoil into 55 gallon drums and then off to storage for ever. Then new topsoil replaced and the inevitable lawsuit 20 years from now from all the window locking short bus riding kids and ambulance chasing lawyers claiming they were harmed by lead.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    That is why home developers setup shell corporations. Build a subdivision and then close company and start another. Harder to file legal actions against them. Same will happen to that land. It'll be bought transfered and then Developed.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That is why home developers setup shell corporations. Build a subdivision and then close company and start another. Harder to file legal actions against them. Same will happen to that land. It'll be bought transfered and then Developed.
    You're right. I've told the story before so I won't again but it feels really, really strange to drive past a neighborhood that was built atop a superfund site. Built after a dozen changes in ownership and no remediation, that is.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom