• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Want to turn a hunting AR into defensive AR with red dot and magnifier. Looking at a Sig Romeo 3 and Juliet 3set up or similarly priced set up. Any recommendations.
    Capitol Armory ad

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Want to turn a hunting AR into defensive AR with red dot and magnifier. Looking at a Sig Romeo 3 and Juliet 3set up or similarly priced set up. Any recommendations.
    I run a Vortex strike eagle 1x8x24 illuminated on mine. Low power works as a rds but you still have the ability for longer shots. I also run the 45 degree angle irons for quick back up in case the scope fails. I tried a rds with a magnifier and didn't like it.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    For a while I ran my EXPS 2 with a G33 on my AR in 3-gun. It works. I didn't care for it, some people have no problem with it. I still have the EXPS, it's fantastic. Got rid of the magnifier.

For "defensive" use, why would you ever need a magnifier? "Your honor, he was 300 yards away, and I was in fear for my life!" is going to put you in jail.
    Are you talking more SHTF or "minuteman" kind of scenarios? If so, I think there are 2 choices that are better, depending on what else you might do with the gun.

If you have absolutely no other use for the weapon except defense (and again, we're talking more than just home defense), then I think something like the TA02 ACOG w/ RM06 RMR is the best choice. Totally rugged, proven, and fast if you're used to shooting the BDC reticle.
    Mounting the RM06 atop the ACOG is not a problem once you've put in a modest amount of practice, and when I shot this setup at a low-light/night combat class, the amazing thing is that your NVG drop right into line with the RM06, instant perfect cheek weld, you get the best speed and easy sight picture.

If you're also going to shoot the rifle in competition, then an LPVO is a no-brainer. You can reach out pretty far with the high-end LPVO choices these days, and some of them have way bigger FOV than the ACOG and amazing glass. Super fast, super precise. No need to adapt to different reticles, and you can zero your rifle perfectly for your setup, no matter what.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    etmo, are you speaking english?
    Hell, I just want to be able to identify if it is a bad guy at 50-100 yards or my preacher entering my land. Sure not delta force or internet commando more cridder killing redneck type guy.

In my yard the irons or dot is good enough shotgun works even better.

Last edited:

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Better yet get you an elcan its christmas time live a littel

Flip a lever 1x to 4x
    Screenshot_20231105_114145_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Something to think about....if you're only talking about 50-100 meters distance, consider the possibility that a magnifier might not be necessary.

Here's a video where they shoot with a red dot only and then shoot the same drills again with magnifier + red dot, all from 100 yards. Their results might be relevant to your situation. My takeaway was that the magnifier was always slower, but didn't always yield more precise groups at that distance.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Did I mention a reasonably priced red dot and magnifier combo before.... like a Sig or Holosum
    Why do you want a magnifier? You'll get more use from a cheap pair of binos.

I'm not a fan of sig red dots. Maybe they've gotten better the past few years.

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Make sure you spend enough that it has some sort of reticle that works when the battery dosen't. Mine has two selectable colors, red and green which I like but they don't work w/o batteries. Co-witness the optics and iron sights for backup. These were my first time buyer lessons.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    I currently have a Romeo 5 and can't see my hits past 25 yards to sight the thing in. I think I will order a Sig Juliet 3 or Holusom 3 from Amazon and call it good

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I use a Sightmark RD with a 3x fold away magnifier on my BO pistol. Use the mag to ID target and RD for aim. Move the mag over to aim long shots. Uses a 123A battery with long life and just press button to get reticle on.

Top Bottom