• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    Bought a Holosun 3x yesterday and mounted it. Will go to range today to sight both in.
    Whole new ball game for me.
    Enjoy the process, my only advice would be to have zero expectations. Especially if this is your first go-around with red dots and magnifiers.
    In my experience and opinion, they're not for "precision shooting" so expecting MOA or some similar metric is not realistic. But they excel at practical accuracy. meaning minute of A zone, minute of deer lung, etc. and provide good increases to speed due to not being restricted by eyebox issues of traditional magnified scopes. Variable magnified optics and red dots both have value for different needs, there's no right answer, only what's right for you. I do firmly believe that fixed power optics are a thing of the past and provide zero benefit over todays current offerings though.

And yes, magnification can certainly be beneficial for a defensive rifle/carbine. Especially when it comes to PID and things of that nature. Or if you're the type that carries a rifle in your car and you're involved in an active shooter situation (Allen Mall anyone?).

No issues with Holosun either, even if they are manufactured in China. Sig optics are also manufactured there, as well as Primary Arms (a Texas company) and many others source their diodes and electronics from there. Holosun was actually an OEM vendor for red dot electronics before they started self branding and leading the pack in innovation. I'm all for buying American and love our American companies, but a lot of them have gotten stale, and having another player in the market is good for all the consumers and the quality of future products.
    Lynx Defense

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    TexaSot. That is the exact reason I went to a dot. I have a Colt 6920 with a 3x14 scope for hunting critters. Hopefully, this AR will be for when you don't need bullseyes shots but several rapid defensive shots to center mass.

If and when I learn to do so.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The problem with holosun is that you are DIRECTLY funding PLA weapons programs.

51270282040_1e735463ec_o.jpg
    51388594492_99df0f0d4a_o.jpg
    51394202922_f084c06d96_k (1).jpg

And like any Chinese company, nothing of theirs is really theirs. It's *all* stolen.

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    The problem with holosun is that you are DIRECTLY funding PLA weapons programs.

And like any Chinese company, nothing of theirs is really theirs. It's *all* stolen.
    The problem with your argument is that you were the first to recommend aimpoint and Trijicon, and there are pictures on the internet of Chinese forces using all of those optics as well. Eotech is also an American company who's optics have been seen in use by Chinese military. Also, Huanic (might be mispelled) which is the parent company of Holosun has corporate offices in Florida. Our military also just signed a huge contract with Sig for optics and weapons. Some of the same optics that have been seen in use by the Chinese.
    1699456951383.png

I get that you don't like the PLA or Chinese military and I get it, I'm not a fan either believe me. But our country is also over $850 Billion in debt to them, so to think we can avoid purchasing anything from China is just not realistic or logical. So let's not shit on the Op for his purchase when most of us here are interacting with this very website on a phone, laptop, computer or TV that was made in China.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The problem with your argument is that you were the first to recommend aimpoint and Trijicon, and there are pictures on the internet of Chinese forces using all of those optics as well. Eotech is also an American company who's optics have been seen in use by Chinese military. Also, Huanic (might be mispelled) which is the parent company of Holosun has corporate offices in Florida. Our military also just signed a huge contract with Sig for optics and weapons. Some of the same optics that have been seen in use by the Chinese.
    View attachment 414377

I get that you don't like the PLA or Chinese military and I get it, I'm not a fan either believe me. But our country is also over $850 Billion in debt to them, so to think we can avoid purchasing anything from China is just not realistic or logical. So let's not shit on the Op for his purchase when most of us here are interacting with this very website on a phone, laptop, computer or TV that was made in China.
    Trijicon and aimpoint are not Chinese companies, who are not directly adjacent to the PLA. My whole argument doesn't hinge on 3 pictures.

Besides. The "trijicon" in your picture isn't real. Real MRO's have top mounted battery trays. Can't really tell on that "EOtech", but i wouldn't bet money on ot being real either.

The whole "well your TV or computer is made in china" saying is old, and doesn't work. With optics, you can easily avoid buying PLA equipment by sticking with aimpoint, EOtech, or trijicon.

Shockingly, you'll end up with a better optic as well.

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    I get it man, and no one is arguing that Aimpoint or Trijicon are better optics. I'm simply saying, it's not fair to shit all some dude for buying a Holosun and accuse them of funding the PLA when everybody is sending money to China in some form or fashion. China is a communist country, any money that flows into it can go to fund the PLA, or spy balloons, or whatever the hell they want. At least Holosun is having to pay some american taxes if it's any solace.
    If anything they should be a wake up call to the American market, but this could turn into a whole other conspiracy theory about why our economy is tanking so badly and forcing people to shop outside the US because our dollars aren't worth anything anymore....but I'll stop de-railing the thread now.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I get it man, and no one is arguing that Aimpoint or Trijicon are better optics. I'm simply saying, it's not fair to shit all some dude for buying a Holosun and accuse them of funding the PLA when everybody is sending money to China in some form or fashion. China is a communist country, any money that flows into it can go to fund the PLA, or spy balloons, or whatever the hell they want. At least Holosun is having to pay some american taxes if it's any solace.
    If anything they should be a wake up call to the American market, but this could turn into a whole other conspiracy theory about why our economy is tanking so badly and forcing people to shop outside the US because our dollars aren't worth anything anymore....but I'll stop de-railing the thread now.
    I'm not shitting on anyone. I made no accusations or placed any blame.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Want to turn a hunting AR into defensive AR with red dot and magnifier. Looking at a Sig Romeo 3 and Juliet 3set up or similarly priced set up. Any recommendations.
    I'd do a 3x Primary Arms Prism..

I run a 4x ACOG for work. In a room, I can see clearly both eyes open to make shots A-OK and the 4x is wonderful for target ID where the boogie is camouflaged or obscured.

If the 3x PA was on our approved optics list I'd run it instead most likely...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Polekitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Denton County
    TexaSot. That is the exact reason I went to a dot. I have a Colt 6920 with a 3x14 scope for hunting critters. Hopefully, this AR will be for when you don't need bullseyes shots but several rapid defensive shots to center mass.

If and when I learn to do so.

Let us know how it works for you.

For what it's worth i have a Vortex Strikefire II and their 3X magnifier. The Strikefire comes with a 1/3 Co-witness mount and the 3X has a cantilever mount when not being used I've had both for 5+ years with zero issues. It's zeroed at 50 yds and with my eyes that's doing really good. Looks like prices have increased since I got them, but what hasn't.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Eotech, aimpoint or lvpo for any serious use. My range toys wear holosuns or PA dots and they perform well within 120 yds. I cowitness almost everything but offset irons add to much bulk IMO. I'm too cheap to buy an ACOG. Lol

SphinxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Want to turn a hunting AR into defensive AR with red dot and magnifier. Looking at an Sig Romeo 3 and Juliet 3set up or similarly priced set up. Any recommendations.
    Elcan Spectre DR, Aimpoint with mag or Eotech with mag. I’d stay away from Chicom Sig or Chicom Vortex, Holosun, etc, etc.. I’m only interested in working guns and if this is for your home, weight isn’t a factor. Buy the best you can afford—you won’t regret it.

I work in the industry and I’ve heard and seen all the BS from optics companies, who for the most part use the same suppliers in China and Taiwan. My recs do not include that crap.

Last edited:

CaptHowdy

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Houston
    Want to turn a hunting AR into defensive AR with red dot and magnifier. Looking at a Sig Romeo 3 and Juliet 3set up or similarly priced set up. Any recommendations.
    I have 2 AR 15 pistols. One in 300 BLK and the other in .556. Both have the Holosun 510C on them. I use the 300 BLK a lot for hog killin'. Watch the YouTube videos on the Holosun. Nothing against Eotech, just ran out of rifles to put one on.

On my .556 carbine, I'm running an Arken 1-8 LPVO. Arken Fanboy here, LOL.

Top Bottom