• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Wish I had the skills to do one of those 80% deals. I’d screw it up for sure.
    The Glock clone pistol frames are supposed to be easy, but they end up costing more than an actual Glock.
    I have no idea about anything other than AKM kits but YES you do need a few shop tools to make a semi-professional looking firearm as an end result.

Something satisfying about a good looking/functioning end result.

Drilling/riveting locations are the most important.

PS Headspacing might be a good skill also!!!!!!!!!
    It's a bit over $1K in tools to build an AKM last time I priced out everything, not worth it unless you're building several.

Eli
    Guns International

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The Glock clone pistol frames are supposed to be easy, but they end up costing more than an actual Glock.

It's a bit over $1K in tools to build an AKM last time I priced out everything, not worth it unless you're building several.

Eli
    I did buy several tools from internet sites (AK BUILDER?) but I have an auto shop on my property so I already had a good supply of tools etc.(been a mechanic since the early 1970s)

Starting from 'scratch' will be more expensive.

Starting with 'heat treated' 80% saves on a kiln, but I have one of those also.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Depends upon how you build it out. Use a LWD or Brownells complete upper instead of a ZEV.

The tooling cost on a Polymer80 is significantly less than an AR.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Depends upon how you build it out. Use a LWD or Brownells complete upper instead of a ZEV.

The tooling cost on a Polymer80 is significantly less than an AR.
    You can buy a PSA Dagger for $299.99 that is a Glock 19 clone, or the complete PSA Dagger G19 clone frame (lower) for $59.99 - which is less than I've seen any P80 or similar stripped frames selling for lately. I'm not sure you can build a G19 clone with any 80% frame for less than $350, even if PSA runs upper for $149 again.
    Academy regularly has Gen3 & Gen5 G19 pistols for less than $550...

Eli

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not sure you can build a G19 clone with any 80% frame for less than $350, even if PSA runs upper for $149 again.

Eli

Just checked LWD and Brownells. Wow prices have ceetainly jumped since I did mine for like $400 or so. Biggest hike is on the slides. P80 cheapest is $425, LWD cheapest is $400 cheapest Brownells is $317.

Yeah that puts it over $550 easy.

I see a Dagger slide for $210 (butt ugly), even that puts you at $440.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eli

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't understand what I think is supposed to be a question.
    I took it to mean that Mr. Guns and Gear had not addressed the topic. That would be unusual; G&G tends to be on top of things with quick posts about every development. I assumed Mr. L was wondering why there was no video from G&G or if he had simply missed it.

ETA - Why am I putting words in the mouth of Mr. L? I usually try to avoid that and he'll probably be along in a bit to clarify, anyway.

My apologies, Mr. L.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    <>

A link to one of his videos was posted above. I was wondering just who he is and where his videos are from.

<>
    His videos are from him, from his YouTube channel, or from his Rumble channel, out of one of the Carolinas, I think. .

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I took it to mean that Mr. Guns and Gear had not addressed the topic. That would be unusual; G&G tends to be on top of things with quick posts about every development. I assumed Mr. L was wondering why there was no video from G&G or if he had simply missed it.

ETA - Why am I putting words in the mouth of Mr. L? I usually try to avoid that and he'll probably be along in a bit to clarify, anyway.

My apologies, Mr. L.
    Maybe I attached the wrong video. Don't think I did, but it does happen.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's true of any of the builds if you're talking just the standard configuration. If you're wanting a Gucci gun you can build it cheaper than buy one.

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    You can buy a PSA Dagger for $299.99 that is a Glock 19 clone, or the complete PSA Dagger G19 clone frame (lower) for $59.99 - which is less than I've seen any P80 or similar stripped frames selling for lately. I'm not sure you can build a G19 clone with any 80% frame for less than $350, even if PSA runs upper for $149 again.

Eli
    My guess is it has slightly less to do with cost effectiveness than it is having to transfer thru FFL (or lack thereof).

Just my $0.02

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gearhead_Gunsmith
    Top Bottom