Texas SOT

Atf rule banning private sales requires FFL rumored for fall.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    It's all aimed at law-abiding citizens. Do they honestly think the bangers, et al, will bother doing this ? Hell they can't stop drugs from pouring into our country or the selling of it much less who sells who a damn gun...
    It's about controling us the law abiding we are the threat to their absolute power. That's why there is no reasoning with them that everything they have to do with firearms is unconstitutional.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't understand how banning private sales will work. It's private. If you have firearms that are not linked to you how do they stop you from selling it privately?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

How will one advertise they have a gun for sale?
    It would have to be word of mouth.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm not trusting a voice on the phone. If they want details, we can meet at a neutral location so I can see their bona fides....

He did, in fact come out and meet met yesterday. Got a call at work - he'd generated a photo line up of persons based on the vehicle and cell phone data. Pretty much like every other non-FBI FED I've ever met, scruffy looking in general, ill fitting T-shirt, jeans, and a full size Glock with a light sticking out from under his shirt. Only difference - most Feds I've dealt with were DUSM, so they were either driving drug-seized vehicles (Escalades) or other cars that don't scream COP. ATF dude was ina murdered out black Charger.

I don't understand how banning private sales will work. It's private. If you have firearms that are not linked to you how do they stop you from selling it privately?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Its something they can come at you with long after the fact, if that gun winds up in their custody. You are the last known person to have it - thus you're responsibile for it once there's UBC in place. If the gun gets seized and its not in your custody, they're gonna say you have some s'plainin to do. The law that usually gets passed not long after UBC are mandatory reporting laws / safe storage laws. Once you discover a gun is missing, you get 24 or 48 hours to report it stolen, if you don't and it winds up in police custody, you're assumed to be involved or you're engaged in illegal firearms sales, so you're an easy fish for them to net. Its all about fear and control.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    What if you gift the gun to a family member then they lose it? Lots of "what ifs" I guess.

Just a way for them to scoop up multiple people and put pressure on you. Even if they never bring formal charges, its going to rattle you, its going to cost you money in lawyer fees probably, and it drives home their point of submit, follow orders, and disarm. They'll probably seize any guns you still have, if they know about them and find out.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ATF guy was all pushy about "make sure if you sell a gun, get a BOS, get their driver license, and all the identifying info in case something like this happenes again" - despite there not being any law about it.
    He was mad you weren't giving him extra evidence to use against you :laughing:

The one time I had to go through that the guy wasn't being a dickhead about anything.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    He was mad you weren't giving him extra evidence to use against you :laughing:

The one time I had to go through that the guy wasn't being a dickhead about anything.

I wouldn't say he's a dickhead, but the guy was definitely steeped in FedTardem, wanting shit that isn't legally required just to make his life easier. Honestly wish we had more laws obstructing and restricting police authority and requiring a judge to sign off for a lot more of the investigatory process - such as even pulling information as part of anything beyond a traffic stop or in-person encounter.

Want to run a serial number for a gun? Get a warrant.

Want to see who that serial number is connected to? Get a warrant.

Want to see who that person may be contacted to? Get a warrant.

Right now its way too easy for them to get info with a few keystrokes and start dicking with people that didn't do anything wrong.

Cops get a lot of leeway, and *some* will run away with bullshit leads just because its a lead, and maybe that needs reigned in a bit. Just like the "evidence" that lead up to the Brianna Taylor killing in Louisville - their info was bad and old and the guy they wanted was in custody. The process just needs slowed down.

Judges also being held liable for signing off on bad warrants, or making bad decisions without accountability needs to change. Reduce their immunity in such cases and make it easier to boot them from the bench and prosecute them. But I digress.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Get a warrant.
    There is a (largely academic) school of thought that holds that warrants weren't originally intended to be needed for much of anything. The thinking goes that a policeman can do pretty much anything to obtain evidence of a crime, including flouting everything in the BIll of Rights IF they turn out to be right.

According to this school of thought, the only reason warrants should exist is if the police feel they have reasonable suspicion but they're not fully sure. They sit down with a judge and discuss the circumstances in depth. If the judge grants a warrant the police are then indemnified against any damages as a result of their actions.

In the beginning of the republic there was no such thing as qualified immunity. If a police officer busts into your house to gather evidence and turns out to be wrong and didn't get the warrant, the officer would be personally liable for civil damages (at minimum) and subject to criminal prosecution.

That whole "personally liable" thing would, theoretically, keep LE in line.

As you might guess, I haven't heard a serious academic argument from this viewpoint since SCOTUS invented qualified immunity.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I buy, sell and trade a lot with private parties

I also do same (buy sell and trade) at/through some of my favorite LGSs

An end to private sales will put a crimp in my style… I like the flexibility of buying, selling and trading privately and also via dealers

just another one of the reduction of our liberties, the weaponization of three-letter agencies whilst we sit on our arse and complain

their is only one way to fix this… elect Trump

or… simply do not comply

Last edited:
    Top Bottom