APOD Firearms

Atf rule banning private sales requires FFL rumored for fall.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Another rule that will either be rammed through and immediately fought by GOA FPC SAF and NAGR or it will be drastically changed THEN rammed thru and immediately challenged by GOA FPC SAF and NAGR. This admin doesn't listen to the people, nor the courts. Courts need to strike down the no private sales across state lines thing, which would in turn also mean no laws against private sales within state borders.
    Military Camp

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    It’s easy. If you can’t prove with a receipt or Bill of sale, how much you paid for it, they will just assume it is all profit.
    This exactly what TXDOT does when you register that used car you got a great deal on. They charge sales tax on what they think you SHOULD have paid for the car.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    This exactly what TXDOT does when you register that used car you got a great deal on. They charge sales tax on what they think you SHOULD have paid for the car.
    They did it to me. I paid the residual at the end of a lease on a truck. They told me the truck was worth more than I paid for it and changed me tax on what they deemed it was worth.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I've not had that happen.
    So, you see a car you have been wanting, listed on CL at a hot smokin' deal. You rush over with cash in hand and drive that baby home, snickering all the way at buying your new ride at 2/3 of market price. Then you go to register it in your name, tell the clerk you paid $X for it. Clerk looks up the SPV (standard Presumptive Value) and says you owe sales tax on an amount 50% higher than you paid. That has been the law for about 10 years now.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    So, you see a car you have been wanting, listed on CL at a hot smokin' deal. You rush over with cash in hand and drive that baby home, snickering all the way at buying your new ride at 2/3 of market price. Then you go to register it in your name, tell the clerk you paid $X for it. Clerk looks up the SPV (standard Presumptive Value) and says you owe sales tax on an amount 50% higher than you paid. That has been the law for about 10 years now.

I drive a 65 mustang told them I paid $5000 and that's the tax I paid. Exactly 9 3/4 years ago. Must be a per county deal.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe

I bought a Texas DPS suv from auction that needed engine work; non-runner. I got it for a good price and the tax lady tried that presumptive value bit. I had her get supervisor and explained that the value of the vehicle that Texas sold it to me is the actual value Texas presumes it to be. ie: Texas DPS isn't fraudulently marking-down sales receipts just so I can skirt paying State taxes.

If the lady in the window tells you something you don't agree with; get a new lady. (No, that tactic doesn't also apply in bed.)

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Had an ATF agent call me and my wife today about a Glock she sold a few months ago. It was recovered in conjunction with a crime, I guess.

ATF guy wanted all the details on the guy who bought it - and it was scary but unsurprising how fast he pulled info up. I misremembered a detail about the guy's car - I was remembering an SUV but running the phone number I found for the guy, it was a Cadillac CTS.

ATF guy was all pushy about "make sure if you sell a gun, get a BOS, get their driver license, and all the identifying info in case something like this happenes again" - despite there not being any law about it. He was going on about how Houston is a hotbed for criminal activity and a major supplier of illegal arms that get shipped internationally - dunno if that was the case with my wife's Glock, but who knows.

I don't plan on requiring a BOS any time soon, but I am not using Texas Gun Trader anymore, period. People there just are too sketchy, I guess.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    ..... I am not using Texas Gun Trader anymore, period. People there just are too sketchy, I guess.
    Geez, Squatch. Sorry to hear about that. That's some stress nobody needs.

I'm wanting to lean to LTC only as it weeds out a lot of bs, but I also get not bothering to get one... in some folks situations.

Criminals take the fun outta everything. We should put them all somewhere...

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Had an ATF agent call me and my wife today about a Glock she sold a few months ago. It was recovered in conjunction with a crime, I guess.

ATF guy wanted all the details on the guy who bought it - and it was scary but unsurprising how fast he pulled info up. I misremembered a detail about the guy's car - I was remembering an SUV but running the phone number I found for the guy, it was a Cadillac CTS.

ATF guy was all pushy about "make sure if you sell a gun, get a BOS, get their driver license, and all the identifying info in case something like this happenes again" - despite there not being any law about it. He was going on about how Houston is a hotbed for criminal activity and a major supplier of illegal arms that get shipped internationally - dunno if that was the case with my wife's Glock, but who knows.

I don't plan on requiring a BOS any time soon, but I am not using Texas Gun Trader anymore, period. People there just are too sketchy, I guess.
    Gun may have been stolen. Don't worry about it!

Eli

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I don't understand how banning private sales will work. It's private. If you have firearms that are not linked to you how do they stop you from selling it privately?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I don't understand how banning private sales will work. It's private. If you have firearms that are not linked to you how do they stop you from selling it privately?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    The reason those scum want universal background checks so they know who has guns and can then work on more of their unconstitutional gun grab schemes.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom