• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    We seem to have plenty of incompetence in this country and a lot of broken infrastructure.

Looking at before and after images, the bridge's defenses from ship's appear to be minimal and not up to modern standards. When you see the pylons going straight into the water and not surrounding by large rock, concrete, etc. (some have hydraulic barriers) the bridge is largely unprotected from ship impacts. The bridge pylons or supports should look like they are rises out of what would look like ship-shaped islands. These islands are supposed to help deflect ships away from the supports so as to leave the bridge still standing, but they didn't use them much in 1977 when the bridge was built and the bridge was not retrofitted.

Such defenses are not absolutes, just like having a gun doesn't mean you won't get shot, but having said defenses ups the safety of the bridge considerably overall.

It was a non-redundant, continuous suspension bridge. If part failed, it was all going to fail.
    But we need to spend money subsidizing EV's along with unreliable wind and solar power. Not to mention DEI, drag queens, etc. And have to give taxpayer money to people who took out college loans so they don't have to pay back loans. Can't waste money protecting major bridges.

Sheessshhhh. Get your priorities straight. ;)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    "Baltimore Harbor is expected to be closed for at least a few days amid ongoing rescue and cleanup efforts, Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Analytics, told ABC News. The bridge collapse will not meaningfully impact the U.S. economy, nor will it push Baltimore into a recession, Zandi added, though he said the incident could still cause significant economic ramifications."

"The port closure could result in "some short-term impacts in the auto market," Zandi said, noting that the outcome will depend on the duration of the blockage and the availability of alternative transportation routes. Large trucks traveling through Baltimore rely on the Key Bridge, since they're prohibited from using the Harbor Tunnel, an alternative route. Due to the bridge collapse, such trucks will need to travel through the city of Baltimore or take a significant detour, causing notable delays. Taken together, the supply disruption from the port closure and bridge collapse could put slight upward pressure on U.S. prices."

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Heard yesterday that this was not the first rodeo. Maybe a design flaw?

Seems more likely to be competence issues with the crew...the captain and harbor pilot were blamed for Antwerp, and this time there were mechanical/power failures.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Heard yesterday that this was not the first rodeo. Maybe a design flaw?

The MV Dali is one of eight ships based on the "Hyundai 9000 wide beam" design.

While in the port of San Antonio, Chile in June 2023, port state control inspection revealed a single deficiency related to "gauges, thermometers etc." in the ship's machinery. However, the ship was not detained and the deficiency was rectified by the follow-up inspection in the United States three months later.

The FBI has already stated terrorism is "unlikely"...

“There is no specific and credible information to suggest any ties to terrorism at this time,” the FBI statement said. "The investigation is ongoing. FBI Baltimore will continue to support our partners at the local, state, and federal levels.”

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Considering the number of ships that sale past bridges everyday, I don’t see how this needs a nefarious explanation. It’s not like there aren’t near misses fairly often.

If it’s a terrorist attack it’s the worst one ever. Outside of TGT I only heard it mentioned once, and it was literally “did you hear about that ship that hit a bridge”. I said “yep, took the hole thing down”. Conversation was over, lol. Nobody outside of the immediate area was terrorized.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Considering the number of ships that sale past bridges everyday, I don’t see how this needs a nefarious explanation. It’s not like there aren’t near misses fairly often.

There are a bunch of ship crash vids on YT, where they crash into each other and crash into piers and docked vessels...and it happens all over the world.

Here is a neat study on this from 2002...

YouTube examples...

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    But we need to spend money subsidizing EV's along with unreliable wind and solar power. Not to mention DEI, drag queens, etc. And have to give taxpayer money to people who took out college loans so they don't have to pay back loans. Can't waste money protecting major bridges.

Sheessshhhh. Get your priorities straight. ;)
    You forgot all the money spent on illegals. And the future terrorist attacks we will pay for. We have a tyrannical government lead by batshit crazy people.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    You forgot all the money spent on illegals. And the future terrorist attacks we will pay for. We have a tyrannical government lead by batshit crazy people.
    I don't know how to "FIFY" but, "batshit crazy people", we know how to deal with them. I'd call them diabolical America-hating scumbags..... IMHO.

Top Bottom