• ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    M. Sage said:
    Don't bother saying "but I'll load with birdshot!" Birdshot works on birds. It doesn't reliably work on humans.

I've heard some LEOs in the past say that some of the most grievous wounds they have ever seen inflicted on a human being were caused by birdshot.
    Hurley's Gold

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    The whole "point and shoot" fallacy with shotguns has led to a lot of people having a false sense of security about their defensive choice.

i get sick and fucking tired of my coworkers at Academy recommending shotguns for HD becuase of that reason! Its irritating!

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    As far as the noise goes...I'm Contemplating putting my electronic earmuffs by the bed where gun is kept. If quick action leave them. If not put em on when I pickup gun to search the house. If stuff turns ugly I'm safer and still have my hearing for the duration of conflict. I've always wondered if swat etc use hearing when raiding. Necessary but could mess up communications before battle. Electronic mutts seem to solve this.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    As far as the noise goes...I'm Contemplating putting my electronic earmuffs by the bed where gun is kept. If quick action leave them. If not put em on when I pickup gun to search the house. If stuff turns ugly I'm safer and still have my hearing for the duration of conflict. I've always wondered if swat etc use hearing when raiding. Necessary but could mess up communications before battle. Electronic mutts seem to solve this.

I'd... much rather not wear them. If you have someone sneaking about in the dark I'd want to have mastery over all of my senses, not the least of which is my sense of sound when something goes bump in the night.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'd... much rather not wear them. If you have someone sneaking about in the dark I'd want to have mastery over all of my senses, not the least of which is my sense of sound when something goes bump in the night.

That would be the whole purpose of using "electronic" muffs.....they can even magnify external noises when stuff is quiet.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    For a CQB environment handguns remain supreme in maneuverability. Your home is a CQB environment. A close second is a SBR or carbine. Shotguns really shine up close and personal, but they are not good for hostage situations or where you have a number of bystanders, they are slow to reload, and have a relatively low capacity. Know the strengths and weaknesses of what ever you decide to use.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    One good thing that I can say about a shotgun for home defense is the simple universally known and respected sound of a pump action. An undetermined thief may flee the premises when they hear that shell being chambered.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Mossberg Persuader loaded with 3" 00-Buckshot Magnum shells...

If you depend on a pistol, make sure it's a good one! Don't let this happen...

Laurie.gif

Cheers! M2

now that is a funny pic

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    One good thing that I can say about a shotgun for home defense is the simple universally known and respected sound of a pump action. An undetermined thief may flee the premises when they hear that shell being chambered.

This is about as worthless as a "warning shot".

If someone comes into your house, you shoot them. You don't rack the gun, you don't yell at them, you don't gesture with it ... you shoot them.

You roll the dice and give away every advantage by racking the gun. You're one shell down in the tube, and now you just gave away your intent and position.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Incomplete question. Best type of home defense, or best type of home defense weapon? Two very different questions, and very different answers.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    This is about as worthless as a "warning shot".

If someone comes into your house, you shoot them. You don't rack the gun, you don't yell at them, you don't gesture with it ... you shoot them.

You roll the dice and give away every advantage by racking the gun. You're one shell down in the tube, and now you just gave away your intent and position.

+1

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Incomplete question. Best type of home defense, or best type of home defense weapon? Two very different questions, and very different answers.

Pretty sure a flamethrower answers both ... everyone expects a shotgun or a handgun, ... no one expects to see the pilot of a flamethrower :D

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Or, if the intruder is not an undetermined thief but a determined one, or a murderer, you will have just signaled him to steel himself and fill his hands. Best not to give home invaders the benefit of the doubt.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

My home alarm is the sound of a shotgun racking. Last time it went off it cleared the neighborhood block.

Reality is to leave the scary sound to a recording and keep one chambered. One less thing that can go wrong. Have you ever short stroked a pump shotgun? Messy.

ADRidge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Lewisville
    I keep a number of options around the house. Everything from my G23 to an AR filled with Hornady TAP's. They'll all do the trick, and at least as far as my skills are concerned, they'll do em all about as well at up close and personal in the apartment range.

Top Bottom