• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard some LEOs in the past say that some of the most grievous wounds they have ever seen inflicted on a human being were caused by birdshot.

They look nasty, to be sure. But they are very shallow and almost always non-lethal. Hunting hares in Michigan, it was always fun when one would pop up right under your feet and make a break for it. Often we'd hit them in the head at a distance of five yards or under. IIRC, we'd use about a #4 or #6 bird shot on them, and it would only take the near side of the bunny's head off. The back side would still be intact.

Not impressive, not enough to reliably put someone down. Buckshot, slugs or don't bother.

I'd... much rather not wear them. If you have someone sneaking about in the dark I'd want to have mastery over all of my senses, not the least of which is my sense of sound when something goes bump in the night.

You should check out some decent electronic muffs. They've got two microphones (sometimes more), one on each side, so they're stereo. If you turn them up, they work like a hearing aid (so you can double-up on hearing protection and still hear range commands). If we ever meet up at the range, I'll let you try my Howard Leights (can be had as cheap as $40) and you can decide for yourself.

If you're into shooting people.

I'd rather avoid bloodshed if possible.

They're in your house when they should know that you're there, too. I'll avoid it if possible, but I'm an "assume the worst" kind of guy.
    Hurley's Gold

mcjonesy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    College Station
    I've always been under the impression that the best home defense gun is a shotgun. I don't want anything that goes through walls easily and being accurate at 3am in the dark would be a plus. The shotgun seems like an obvious choice, but some people prefer to defend the homestead with other weapons. What are the benefits to other options out there?

I'm gonna go with "the one that's always nearby".

Txpitdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Htown
    Multilayer defense. Lights on outside the house and in the yard. House alarm. Dog sleeping inside. And if they absolutely still decide to keep coming, there'll be a 12 gauge pointing at them from the shadows at the end of a long dark hallway.

...on Earth, as it is in Texas

Top Bottom