APOD Firearms

Best way to send money when buying on the forums?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    I’m going to potentially buy a firearm from a member and I had him call me, didn’t get a response so I called back and it went to voicemail, turns out the number is from Textfree, a free phone number app that lets you pick your area code. Fishy…. They want to do it via Zelle then ship the firearm but I’m not too comfortable about not being able to get my money back…

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I’m going to potentially buy a firearm from a member and I had him call me, didn’t get a response so I called back and it went to voicemail, turns out the number is from Textfree, a free phone number app that lets you pick your area code. Fishy…. They want to do it via Zelle then ship the firearm but I’m not too comfortable about not being able to get my money back…
    Is his number listed in the Classified ad?

Another recourse, if you think the Classified ad might "fishy" you might also reach out to one of the Mods or Admins to check out the member.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    Is his number listed in the Classified ad?

Another recourse, if you think the Classified ad might "fishy" you might also reach out to one of the Mods or Admins to check out the member.
    It was a direct message in response to my WTB ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Sounds like someone will be doing the needful on a pile of your money once converted to rupees with his sister and mother.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’m going to potentially buy a firearm from a member and I had him call me, didn’t get a response so I called back and it went to voicemail, turns out the number is from Textfree, a free phone number app that lets you pick your area code. Fishy….

A little fishy - is this member a long time member, or at least prolific poster enough to get "well known" under their avatar vs "new member" ?

We've had scammers target the forum recently, and sadly its epidemic across forums and sites like Texas Gun Trader.

I came across a Glock 48 advertised in Corpus Christi last month, for $100 less than anyone else had one. That was a red flag. I texted the guy - told him I could meet him the next day if he was ok holding the gun 24 hours. I'd drive to Corpus to get it. It was just too late in the afternoon for me to make that drive when I found the ad. He was insistent that we just do an FFL transfer, he'd ship the gun to me. Bright orange flag, bordering on red. I told him it would be faster and cheaper for both of us, and I hadn't been to Corpus so I was more than willing to make the drive to see the sights along the way. He kept coming up with excuses "oh, I'm leaving on a business trip in two days" - "okay, that's fine, I'll be there tomorrow around noon" "oh, we should just ship via FFL" - I told him if he wasn't willing to meet in person, so I could inspect the gun, that I would have to pass.

Pretty sure the guy was a scammer. There was no Glock 48, and once he had my cash he was gonna disappear. Funny enough other ads popped up with the exact same pictures, allegedly in other parts of the state, under other user names.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    A little fishy - is this member a long time member, or at least prolific poster enough to get "well known" under their avatar vs "new member" ?

We've had scammers target the forum recently, and sadly its epidemic across forums and sites like Texas Gun Trader.

I came across a Glock 48 advertised in Corpus Christi last month, for $100 less than anyone else had one. That was a red flag. I texted the guy - told him I could meet him the next day if he was ok holding the gun 24 hours. I'd drive to Corpus to get it. It was just too late in the afternoon for me to make that drive when I found the ad. He was insistent that we just do an FFL transfer, he'd ship the gun to me. Bright orange flag, bordering on red. I told him it would be faster and cheaper for both of us, and I hadn't been to Corpus so I was more than willing to make the drive to see the sights along the way. He kept coming up with excuses "oh, I'm leaving on a business trip in two days" - "okay, that's fine, I'll be there tomorrow around noon" "oh, we should just ship via FFL" - I told him if he wasn't willing to meet in person, so I could inspect the gun, that I would have to pass.

Pretty sure the guy was a scammer. There was no Glock 48, and once he had my cash he was gonna disappear. Funny enough other ads popped up with the exact same pictures, allegedly in other parts of the state, under other user names.
    New member, since may 2021, 25 posts

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    It was a direct message in response to my WTB ad
    If I were you, send a message to one of the Mods and Admins with the member's username and let them investigate the member.

Just a few months ago, a scammer used a non-active member's account to perpetrate a scam. @Hoji knew that member from a past sale they had done.

As a result, that is why the increased vigilance in how deals are done here on TGT. There is even an entire thread about the ordeal. I'll dig it up and link that thread here later.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    The exact minimum to post in classified ads, without buying a membership. I'd call that a red flag.

It’s @Freeman45

He offered to sell me this Saiga 12 for $600. I wonder if we can reverse image search and see if these were posted elsewhere

6FC7B69A-6B54-4FAA-91ED-DB359ED3F61B.jpeg
    EDFC60A3-CC13-40A0-AA27-7A96C73D2574.jpeg

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I don't even see a listing from Freeman45 in the Guns for Sale section - mods or he must've deleted it?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    thats why you do Family and Friends and don't put no notes, ez

This is not true. My account was frozen, and they seized my remaining balance ($55) due to “suspected violation of policies concerning sale/purchase gun parts.” I had no notes in any transactions. Their algorithms can figure it out—it’s kind if scary that they can piece together my associated email, an “I’ll take it” on a gun forum, and the transfer amount. But they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom