Guns International

Better off to carry with none in the chamber than not at all?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I understand the vast benefits of carrying with one in the chamber and drawbacks to carrying with an empty chamber.

I understand the internal safeties that guns have and what a proper holster looks like.

Say you have a friend/family member though, that just will not carry with one in the chamber, overall, generally speaking, all things being equal, are they better off not carrying at all or carrying with no round in the chamber and training to chamber a round as needed?

* This isn't about what method is better, I acknowledged which is better. This is about carrying with no round chambered vs not carrying at all.
    Venture Surplus ad

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Well sure, any carry is better than no carry. What about the situation where one can draw well in advance so condition 1 isn't needed? Still, training should be progressive so that full proficiency is achieved. Just like a child's progress from bb gun to .22 etc.... They shouldn't be so adamant about none in the chamber - that's an indication, imo, they don't fully commit to the act of gunfighting - when necessary & appropriate.

ChrisX

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Why won't they carry with one in the chamber?

Sometimes it's just a comfort/experience level that needs to be reached. I would say it's better for them to carry than not. In time and with experience they'll probably get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. I know before I got my CHL I would wear my gun/holster around the house just to get used to it and get comfortable with it. Now it's just not even something I think about when carrying in public.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Why won't they carry with one in the chamber?

Sometimes it's just a comfort/experience level that needs to be reached. I would say it's better for them to carry than not. In time and with experience they'll probably get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber. I know before I got my CHL I would wear my gun/holster around the house just to get used to it and get comfortable with it. Now it's just not even something I think about when carrying in public.
    Thats a great point. I imagine a lot of folks start off carrying without one in the chamber then "get there" when they are comfortable.

SmokeyWhisper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    The purpose of carrying is to be prepared. A properly trained a proficient shooter will not worry about a round in the chamber. I carry a .38 revolver so that there is never a need to question if there is a round there or if the gun will work if I pull the trigger. I'm not looking to be in a gun fight, but if the need arises, all I need to do is aim and squeeze. For this person, I would reccomend that they practice more and become more cofortable carruing it both ways before they decide on just one way.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    A gun person who is proficient at racking a slide and operating their firearm can do whatever they want I suppose.

If the person is reluctant because they are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with firearms to begin with, I would say they are not better off at all carrying without a round in the chamber.

Depends on the firearm too. Some seem more safe to carry that way than others. Some pistols are less forgiving with a weak, pansy rack of the slide and can jam.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I would carry sometimes without a round chambered, but that was more due to a new holster and gaining confidence with it. So with a new holster, I'll typically carry without a chambered round. But typically only do that once. Sometimes that time is just puttering around the house. But if someone isn't comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber at all, just go with a wheel gun and the "John Wayne load". Perhaps over time their comfort level will rise.

Top Bottom