Venture Surplus ad

Brass vs Steel casing ammo - steel works with no issue - thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steel casing ammo - positive or negative opinion of it?

• positive

• negative

Results are only viewable after voting.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Does anyone here have aversion toward steel ammo? I saw grabagun selling $10/box Magtech steel-casing ammo, which is a sick deal. I did as much research as I could, and the general idea was that steel-cased ammo results in a dirtier shot and requires more cleaning afterward.

First of all, is this true? Why?

What other drawbacks are there? It almost seems like steel ammo would be lower-quality by being so much cheaper, and by lower quality, the thing that comes to mind is reliability, or damages the gun. Is there any truth to this?

Anyway, I bought them anyway, since ammo is expensive. It's hard to find ammo <$13/box. I bought 500 rds to 10 boxes, for only $100 ($120 total with tax and shipping) and took them to the range. Shot 350 so far, with 3 boxes remaining. No jams in Glock19, Beretta 92FS, Kahr CW9. Didn't test with my jammer Kimber Solo. When shooting, sometimes I saw sparks, which I see with bulk ammo sometimes too. As for grime, I honestly can't tell. I don't think I shoot enough to make an educated evaluation of whether they shoot dirtier than brass does. Why would it anyway? I only shot 350, during 2 range visits, and I feel like it would just be confirmation bias of me just to say they were definitely dirtier. All and all seemed like good ammo and the superstition of them being dirty made me clean my guns afterward - maybe this is a good thing? It makes me conscious of cleaning them since sometimes I don't clean after each shooting. On the other hand, anxiety is anxiety and perhaps it's not worth the mental hassle.

Magtech steel 9mm is still being sold at $11/box now on grabagun. Maybe during the next sale, I'll pick even more up. Until then, what are your guys' thoughts on steel-case.
    Capitol Armory ad

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Some ranges won't allow anything but brass.
    If there's no sign, I'm guessing it's allowed. But what are reasons for this?

Brass is softer and expands to seal the chamber. Steel doesn’t seal as well and lets the crap back into the action. Also, brass is softer than steel and wears the gun a bit less.
    That makes sense, about the hardness. But it's the bullet that needs to seal, not the casing, so I'm not sure how this explanation would apply. The FMJ bullet still is brass I believe, it's the gold brass color, only the casing with the powder inside that is steel.

Also, the only part where there would be wear and tear would be the ejection port where the casing could bounce off a little. Does it matter if this area experiences wear and tear? Maybe the chamber, but it seems really negligible.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The steel can increase wear on the extractor and ejector.

Steel will also not seal the chamber like brass will, so the gun will get dirtier. Suppressors will blow carbon directly back through the bore, so shooting steel will drastically increase the fouling going into the receiver.

Steel case ammo is usually intended to be cheap range ammo, and it's usually less accurate, less reliable, has higher muzzle flash, wider variations in bullet and powder charge weight.

Monarch brass case is rebagged PPU and works pretty well. Monarch steel case is rebagged tula, iirc, and I've seen that crap keyhole at 5 yards out of a rifle.

Ive seen lots of revolvers jam up hard with tula .357

I've seen a handful of M1 carbines go down with broken bolts, and broken extractors from tula .30 carbine

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many AR's ive seen go down due to steel.

Hk's and walthers hate steel case.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If there's no sign, I'm guessing it's allowed. But what are reasons for this?

That makes sense, about the hardness. But it's the bullet that needs to seal, not the casing, so I'm not sure how this explanation would apply. The FMJ bullet still is brass I believe, it's the gold brass color, only the casing with the powder inside that is steel.

Also, the only part where there would be wear and tear would be the ejection port where the casing could bounce off a little. Does it matter if this area experiences wear and tear? Maybe the chamber, but it seems really negligible.

2 big reasons, #1 the range doesn't want to sort their scrap brass, and #2 they are concerned that bi-metal jackets will increase wear on their berms and it's easier to just not allow it instead if having to inspect every round that brought in

The case still has to seal in most cases. Obturation is an important factor in having a firearm actually work.

Most bullets that have a jacket are copper. Lots of steel case is bimetal, which is copper/steel.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Steel cases are not recyclable, no market for them. A lot of steel ammo has bi-metal projectiles and can produce sparks when hitting steel and concrete and thus a fire hazard especially for indoor ranges where there can be a lot of unburned powder on the floors. A flash fire in an indoor range can be pretty spectacular. If a magnet attracts to the projectile that's a no go for most indoor ranges. Our local range does not mow the berms and tall dead grass/weeds catch fire easily.....although only tracers are not alllowed.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    The steel can increase wear on the extractor and ejector.

Steel will also not seal the chamber like brass will, so the gun will get dirtier. Suppressors will blow carbon directly back through the bore, so shooting steel will drastically increase the fouling going into the receiver.

Steel case ammo is usually intended to be cheap range ammo, and it's usually less accurate, less reliable, has higher muzzle flash, wider variations in bullet and powder charge weight.

Monarch brass case is rebagged PPU and works pretty well. Monarch steel case is rebagged tula, iirc, and I've seen that crap keyhole at 5 yards out of a rifle.

Ive seen lots of revolvers jam up hard with tula .357

I've seen a handful of M1 carbines go down with broken bolts, and broken extractors from tula .30 carbine

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many AR's ive seen go down due to steel.

Hk's and walthers hate steel case.
    Those are good reasons. Are any from personal experience?

Thanks for correcting me on the copper jacket. I just thought it was brass due to color. Any reason why brass seals better than steel? It sounds to me like the seal we are speaking of is not the seal between bullet and barrel, but rather between casing and bullet. Is that right?

Steel cases are not recyclable, no market for them. A lot of steel ammo has bi-metal projectiles and can produce sparks when hitting steel and concrete and thus a fire hazard especially for indoor ranges where there can be a lot of unburned powder on the floors. A flash fire in an indoor range can be pretty spectacular. If a magnet attracts to the projectile that's a no go for most indoor ranges. Our local range does not mow the berms and tall dead grass/weeds catch fire easily.....although only tracers are not alllowed.
    Ok, so I did see the sparks. And the non-recyclable steel makes sense for the range not wanting them. I guess I'll make sure I use up my steel at the Sharpshooter then.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Those are good reasons. Are any from personal experience?

Thanks for correcting me on the copper jacket. I just thought it was brass due to color. Any reason why brass seals better than steel? It sounds to me like the seal we are speaking of is not the seal between bullet and barrel, but rather between casing and bullet. Is that right?

Ok, so I did see the sparks. And the non-recyclable steel makes sense for the range not wanting them. I guess I'll make sure I use up my steel at the Sharpshooter then.
    The casing expands when the round is fired to seal the breach which prevents the incredibly high pressure gasses which expels the bullet, from blasting the shooter in the face.

Brass has a bit more spring than mild steel and so will return to its unfired size a little better (or so it was explained to me), making for easier and smoother extraction.

My aversion to steel cased ammo is less about the steel case and that is tends to be just plain old crappy ammo and is often dirty to handle before firing. I can spend a VERY small percentage more and shoots cleaner ammo, is more accurate and easier on my guns.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My late husband, my Montana husband and I only used/use brass casing.

I do not reload but my MT husband does reload. He has reloaded since the early 70's. He reloads for ALL of his CF firearms, pistols and rifles, except for his .380 acp pistols. He decided to do that even before he bought the first .380 acp pistol too.

He buys quality brass for his reloading. He used to have many MORE firearm calibers from a to z and more firearms than he owns now too.

He used to CAST a lot of bullets too. I think (?) that he may continue this even though he (And I.) are in our 70's. I am NOT positive about that for sure.

Both of us bought and still buy quality BRASS loaded ammunition when we buy FACTORY made ammunition.

He keeps some 30-30 Winchester factory ammunition on hand and a TINY bit of 45acp ammo too. He usually reloads for ALL of that plus for his other firearm calibers.
    I can't believe how much 45-70 Government FACTORY ammunition costs now and I am glad that he reloads for that too.

I was told by a couple of 'famous' gun men (Now dead - Lee J. and Terry M. in emails and on the telephone. May they rest in peace - they were GREAT, smart and kind men.) and by other gun men who shot a LOT and competed to buy and shoot BRASS ammo for what I previously owned and so forth. And if I ever went into reloading to buy BRASS cases.

So I took their ADVICE on what they said, what I read and what my late husband and our friends in the military and police work said when I was a NEWBIE back in the late 90's in buying my own guns.

Best wishes to you.

Old Lady Cate

PS: I have read that many people use steel cased ammo for their foreign military rifles. Usually older guns. I have only shot at ONE high power shoot, back east at my old Sportsman's Club, and was lent an older foreign rifle.

That ammo was steel cased and my old gun buddy helped me out there since he wanted ME to shoot at that high power shoot. So he lent me the rifle, showed me the ropes, gave me his ammo and another big tall man, another member at my club, stood right behind me - to the side and stayed with me since I had never shot that rifle or been to that SPECIFIC type of a competition. It was fun but bitter cold out. A learning experience for sure! That was the ONLY time that I ever shot steel cased ammo. It worked fine with my friend's rifle and I had NO JAMS or issues. And I shot the targets OK too! He was a VERY nice man - a fellow Nam Vet like my late husband was only in a different branch of service. He wanted more ladies to JOIN the club and get into shooting too. He and ALL of the members there were friendly and GOOD PEOPLE even to a NEWBIE as I was years ago.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My former INDOOR range which was connected to my former TOP favorite gun store, back east, NOT my former Sportsman's Club outdoor range with a club house back east, did NOT ALLOW steel cased ammunition.

Old Lady Cate

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Never found a sane reason to use steel cased ammo. At some point in life it was dirt cheap but for good reason now it's on par with brass ammo. I watch too many people fumbling. With their guns having stock slides, stove pipes, un attachable mags, ect ect ect

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Never found a sane reason to use steel cased ammo. At some point in life it was dirt cheap but for good reason now it's on par with brass ammo. I watch too many people fumbling. With their guns having stock slides, stove pipes, un attachable mags, ect ect ect
    That'll happen no matter the ammo when you hang around with 1911 shooters.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I used steel case for AK, which made sense because the commies were the ones making most of the steel case back then. You have to watch out, that stuff is usually corrosive.

Same here, and I have a boatload of the stuff which is great in case I need to have an accident in the future!

I'll run it in my commie rifles, but not my ARs unless the situation is truly desperate!

I won't run it in any pistols unless they are commie calibers and it's the only stuff I can find!

Others disagree...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I've had steel ammo freeze in the chamber. Steel has an anti-corrosive coating that will turn to glue the casing in the barrel. Had to disassemble and use a tool to dislodge the casing.

This is the biggest reason I've heard - the lacquer a lot of the steel case manufacturers slather on can melt in a hot chamber and it'll get sticky as it does. Haven't had it happen to me, but I haven't shot a whole lot of steel case ammo... Some. But not a steady diet, so I haven't seen any ill effects personally.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom