Brass vs Steel casing ammo - steel works with no issue - thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steel casing ammo - positive or negative opinion of it?

• positive

• negative

Results are only viewable after voting.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Some guns run steel without a hiccup. Mostly combloc guns like aks, SKS and Makarov pistols. Try feeding it in a striker fired pistol like a Glock with an aftermarket trigger bar and you'll have the world's most expensive paperweight. Hammer fired guns will usually run it just fine but just as others have said many negatives including the case mouth not sealing, bimetal bullets that spark and potentially ricochet if you shoot at steel plates, extractor and ejector wear, etc.

I bought and run through many rounds of it over the years but now I keep it exclusively for aks and my VZ58s. Everything else is on an all brass diet.
    Gun Zone Deals

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    There are numerous negatives with steel cased ammo, and only one positive, it’s cheaper.

Commie guns were built cheap and sloppy, and so was the ammo for them. It was a match made in heaven.

Nowadays neither are that cheap anymore. We still have all the negatives of the crappy ammo, but the price gap is much narrower. Buy decent ammo and save yourself the headache.
    Ok this doesn't quite make sense. If commie guns were cheap and sloppy, then wouldn't that need the highest quality ammo to function? You can't add something bad onto something already bad, it just makes it worse. Something that doesn't function well needs high quality ammo to function.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Ok this doesn't quite make sense. If commie guns were cheap and sloppy, then wouldn't that need the highest quality ammo to function? You can't add something bad onto something already bad, it just makes it worse. Something that doesn't function well needs high quality ammo to function.
    You've heard of Mil Spec. It aint nothing special it just works.
    Commie guns are the same thing that's just their version of Mil Specs.
    The ammo has the same Mil Specs.

Ours aren't great and theirs are a lot worse yet the milspec crap works good enough to get the intended job done.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Not necessarily.

Our “mil spec” is much tighter than theirs. Dump sand in an AK and a M16 and see which one will shoot.
    One is designed to function no matter what, the other is designed to be more accurate.

Cheap to produce, and having sloppy tolerances means you can shoot the same in ammo. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just has to fit.

If you have a more precise rifle, with a more precise chamber, it’s gonna need more precise ammo to feed and eject properly. Ever seen a forward assist on an AK?

I’ve heard friends say, If I spend $3K on a a rifle it should be able to shoot any ammo I feed it. That makes as much since as a Ferrari owner searching for the cheapest gas in town.

Something really precise, or better, needs better ammo, or fuel, to even function

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Not necessarily.

Our “mil spec” is much tighter than theirs. Dump sand in an AK and a M16 and see which one will shoot.
    One is designed to function no matter what, the other is designed to be more accurate.

Cheap to produce, and having sloppy tolerances means you can shoot the same in ammo. It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just has to fit.

If you have a more precise rifle, with a more precise chamber, it’s gonna need more precise ammo to feed and eject properly. Ever seen a forward assist on an AK?

I’ve heard friends say, If I spend $3K on a a rifle it should be able to shoot any ammo I feed it. That makes as much since as a Ferrari owner searching for the cheapest gas in town.

Something really precise, or better, needs better ammo, or fuel, to even function

As the m16 is a sealed system, it will actually run longer in dusty/muddy environments. Neither will run if you pour sand in them.

The ar doesn't need a forward assist. That was mandated by people who were obsessed with the idea of silently loading a rifle. If you really want to force a round in the chamber, use the scallop on the BCG.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've used a few different ones (Tula, Monarch and I think there was another I can't remember) mostly in 9mm. I've shot about 400 rounds and never had an issue, but it is most definitely dirtier when I cleaned it out compared to brass.
    A 50 round box of Tula seems to have the equivalent residue in the pistol of about 500 rounds of WWB brass.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    If steel is cheaper when I goto buy pratice ammo I’ll get I have no bias for any of the semiautos.

The wheel guns only get brass I’ve only bought one box steel 38 and what a hassle removing stuck casings.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom