• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I am buying a new Sig p226 Elite Dark soon. The 3 caliber choices are 9mm, 40, 357 sig.

9mm
    -Amazing Capacity at 18 rounds flush fitting
    -Best round for suppressor
    -Cheap and Widely Available Ammo

40 and 357
    -Simple barrel change between the 2
    -Very impressed with 357 power
    -40 will suppress OK
    -Unimpressed with capacity at 13

What should I get??? :confused:
    Guns International

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Given your options I would go 9 or .40. If you carry where you might need to penetrate barriers the .357 is a great choice.

IMO, ammo capacity is just not that much an issue unless you carry for a job related purpose.

9mm is abundant, but the .40 will give you more power. Can you elaborate on what you will use the pistol for?

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Pistol will be concealed as much as I can possibly conceal a large frame handgun, obviously some circumstances prohibit carry of such a large and heavy handgun. I will pocket carry an LCP if I cant carry the Sig. If I were to go the 40 route it would be a barrel for the 357. I would buy the 357 and drop the 40 in it for use with a suppressor and more range use.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    .357SIG is quite impressive ballistically, 9mm is less expensive to shoot. One thing to consider, if you get the .40S&W or the .357SIG, you only need a barrel for the other caliber to be able to shoot it as well, since the slide, spring and magazines work for both calibers.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I would choose the 9mm so you can shoot more and cheaper and the 40 is a sweet round and a fun round to reload.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I strongly suggest your range work be with the caliber that you will carry.

That said, get two guns. One 9 the other with the interchangeable barrel. Twice the fun!

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I think I am going to get either the 40 or 357.... Whatever I get the better deal on. I bet they make a 9mm conversion too.

I have always wanted a 357 sig.

21Brutus

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    Cypress
    9mm....but my first question to you is, "what caliber are you most proficient with?"

That Sig is one sweet shooter, just popped a few the other day and its' on my Christmas list!!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I know you asked about caliber, but just a thought. The "Dark" series seems to only differ from regular Elite versions in that is comes with aluminum grips. They do make for a bit slimmer grip if that's what you're going for. I suggest you at least put a hand on the E2 version. I believe they call that the Enhanced in the Elite line. Those grips are very comfortable, and allow for better reach to the trigger if you have small to medium hands. I've got a kit on order to convert my P226 to that grip version.

As to caliber, the .40 (Or .357Sig) will give you the most options. You can get 9mm conversion barrels as well as .357Sig drop in barrels and shoot all calibers. POI will be different between the 9mm/.357 and the .40 though, as Sig uses a different front sight height on the .40.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I am buying a new Sig p226 Elite Dark soon. The 3 caliber choices are 9mm, 40, 357 sig.

9mm
    -Amazing Capacity at 18 rounds flush fitting
    -Best round for suppressor
    -Cheap and Widely Available Ammo

40 and 357
    -Simple barrel change between the 2
    -Very impressed with 357 power
    -40 will suppress OK
    -Unimpressed with capacity at 13

What should I get??? :confused:

You said you are going to conceal carry it, so i doubt you will have a suppressor on it. So, I would not worry about that factor. I think it is all personal preference. You said you like having 18 rnds of 9mm vs 13 of .40. I do like more rnd count myself, but I prefer .40. I feel it is a food median between .45 and 9mm. The 357SIG is an awesome round as well! I am sure you will end up with what is right for you. Just don't think into it too much. you will go insane with all the OPINIONS people will have on this subject!

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I have a 9mm and a 40. I am proficient with both of them. I am sure that 357 sig would be the same way.

Another way I have looked at it is... The 357 sig is more powerful than a 45 and if you compare similar sized guns ( p220 VS P226) The 226 holds more of a more potent round.

I really like the 357 sig idea, but I also want a suppressor. Maybe I will trash the suppressor idea for the more potent carry round.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    9mm. You get great versatility with a 9mm handgun. Can go with +P+ for carry and get near .357 sig velocities, shoot cheap range ammo, and shoot subsonic 147 gr with the suppressor. In a fight the extra capacity of the 9mm is worth much more than the slightly higher velocity from the .357, IMO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    North Richland Hills (DFW)
    I know this isn't the question, but why not the smaller Sig 239 for carry? I'm not sure about all the dimensions, and it's still a heavy gun... but I just got mine in .357 and it shoots like a dream. It only holds 7+1, but that's 8 heart shots with this little beast.

Top Bottom