• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Another way I have looked at it is... The 357 sig is more powerful than a 45 and if you compare similar sized guns ( p220 VS P226) The 226 holds more of a more potent round.

It's more powerful, yes, but it's not more powerful enough to matter.

Defensive handgun calibers are still just defensive handgun calibers. They all have close enough to the same effect on target that you can't really put a value on it, from .380 ACP all the way up to 10mm.

I think you're over-thinking this a bit. Go with a caliber you've already got. Diversity isn't all it's cracked up to be. :p
    Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Diversity isn't all it's cracked up to be. :p

Agreed, although it's nice to play with other stuff the simplicity of a single caliber, especially in reloading, is far more reaching than having multitudes of calibers.

I'm content with 4 calibers, one being luxury and the others being more useful.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    another vote for 9mm

---edit---

should have read the thread. good choice :)

Danton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have a 226 in 9mm, but wish I had gone with a more powerful round (the .380 being just as effective as a 10mm comment notwithstanding). The 226 is such an outstanding weapon that the difference in recoil in the the three calibers is minimal (it's also one of the most accurate and reliable pistols I've ever fired). All that being said, you should - if possible - try all three and decide which one you like and handle best. And that includes the DA first round...it's a long, heavy (10lbs) trigger pull right out of the holster, and caliber could influence your ability to put that round where you want it to go.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The ultimate combat pistol in my opinion is the P229 X5. It's horribly expensive, but DAMN! 5 inch barrel with a longer slide, everything else regular P229 except for the best part - single action only! I've got it's brother, a P220 SAO. It doesn't have the higher capacity of the 9mm or the longer barrel and slide of the X5, otherwise it's the same thing. Got to say.... it makes the 1911 seem kind of crude. I wanted a 1911 for a looong time before I got this Sig, loved shooting them and then got this. Now I have a 1911 and it's "eh".

Top Bottom