• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    House I am buying the owners added a master bedroom and used OSB for the ceiling don't ask why I have no clue.

They then mudded over it with a wavy pattern that I hate. Naturally every seam is now cracked and the mud did not 100% cover the OSB so you can see the "wood" in spots :(.

Due to repairs and the same pattern on the walls I think removing and replacing the drywall is a better option than sanding the walls smooth I am not a drywaller so I may be wrong on that ?

thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Messy either way. Don't know about now, or the local codes, but you used to be able to get a thinner drywall for such things.
    Ceiling tiles may be your best bet on the ceiling.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    If I would be doing this for myself, I would put furring strips down and add the drywall over those, then do the joint work and texture. The old texture on the walls you probably could do a skim coat, lightly sand and then apply your pattern of choice.

Last edited:

Huntsman52

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    Should be able to laminate 1/2" gypsum, tape, float and texture no problem as long as the ceilungs are relatively level and even. If not furr-it out level as suggested above. Or can do a planked T&G if you like that look.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    If a 2 story & the room is on the 1st floor, now would be the time to sound control. There is a product called GREEN GLUE sold in caulking tubes, it's like a jell paste that don't harden & absorbs sound waves. You put it in-between 2 sheets of sheet rock or OSB... the denser the sheet the better. I.E. 5/8" sheet rock vs 1/2". You can even add a 3rd layer for more sound proofing.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Stupid question...

Did they make that addition legally, and have it inspected? I'm having a hard time believing that such a disaster would pass code because its hardly fire-resistant. I understand each state does things differently, but aren't building codes relatively uniform nationwide, with minor changes here and there?

An OSB ceiling sounds like the kind of shit the guy who we got our house from would've done, had he thought about it. I'm still finding surprises and dealing with his poorly executed handy work. Lightly flamed pallet wood "trim" and "baseboards" - a few poorly installed windows. Kitchen cabinets attached to the walls with deck screws, including some hidden 4 inch long deck screws (which I discovered trying to uninstall a cabinet when we replaced the fridge a couple months ago!)

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Stupid question...

Did they make that addition legally, and have it inspected? I'm having a hard time believing that such a disaster would pass code because its hardly fire-resistant. I understand each state does things differently, but aren't building codes relatively uniform nationwide, with minor changes here and there?

An OSB ceiling sounds like the kind of shit the guy who we got our house from would've done, had he thought about it. I'm still finding surprises and dealing with his poorly executed handy work. Lightly flamed pallet wood "trim" and "baseboards" - a few poorly installed windows. Kitchen cabinets attached to the walls with deck screws, including some hidden 4 inch long deck screws (which I discovered trying to uninstall a cabinet when we replaced the fridge a couple months ago!)
    Kitchen cabinets installed with decking screws is over building, and I build cabinets too. :D Just saying . We use deck screws to match certain cabinet finishes.

I get what you're saying though.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Kitchen cabinets installed with decking screws is over building, and I build cabinets too. :D Just saying . We use deck screws to match certain cabinet finishes.

I get what you're saying though.

This knuckle head used them because its what he had left over from building the deck. He built the cabinets himself too. Stapled together plywood boxes with doors made out of 1x1 pine. In the first week after moving in, 3 drawer faces on the counters (made the same way) came off. One of the cabinet doors on the kitchen island fell apart. We learned to be very gentle with the drawers and doors.

My project in the coming months is a slow remodel of the dining room and kitchen, unless other more pressing needs pop up. Going to yank all the damn cabinets and counters out, fix the drywall (remember when I mentioned the hidden dry wall screw? I found that out because when the cabinet box came off the wall, it carved a half-moon shaped chunk out of the dry wall it was screwed into - which wasn't even screwed into a wall stud!)

I think I might salvage the counter tops - maybe - and cut them down and do a Stone Coat epoxy finish over them - faux marble or something. A friend of mine I made is a contractor and said he can get me wholesale pricing on cabinet boxes when I'm ready.

We got a good deal on the property and the house overall, but there are a *lot* of little things that have added to my general frustration and disappointment. Its only time and money to fix them, but damn is some of it annoying and ugly!

He used cheap laminate flooring in the dining room and living room - I think I'm going to wind up going with epoxy faux stone floors there too. Kitchen is vinyl tile that was laid down unevenly. Someone with OCD would not want to look at our kitchen floor!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wouldn’t do jackshît until the house is level, because that’s probably going to fûck with all the tape joints anyways and drywall is one of those things I want to do once and do it right before I occupy the house.

I’d level, then do the dirty work and paint, then clean the ducts then move in.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I wouldn’t do jackshît until the house is level, because that’s probably going to fûck with all the tape joints anyways and drywall is one of those things I want to do once and do it right before I occupy the house.

I’d level, then do the dirty work and paint, then clean the ducts then move in.
    It's unlevel too? Yeah, I agree then. I missed that.

I just did a retape and sante fe mud job on a whole house that was un level and wouldn't touch
    it until it was releveled.

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    I would run extra screws into the joists to make sure it secure. Then screw 1/4 gypsum board to that making sure your seams don't fall in the same place. Tape, bed, texture. I will would only use furring strips if you needed to take out waves.

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Don't hire whoever did this:
    1636206854983.png

1636206884949.png

1636206900081.png

This was in an AirBNB we used a couple years ago in the DFW area. Oh and the TV's were "mounted" to the wall using drywall screws and string, hung like a picture. It was great. Filthy dirty too.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Don't hire this guy either, this one is in my house. That's lamp cord, three different kinds of wire nuts, and little Chinese LED drivers tucked up into the space above the upper cabinets. Licensed electrician, so said the GC.

Yes, I redid it.

1636207324884.png

Top Bottom