• Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    This isn't a new idea.
    Long long ago in a galaxy far far away the was a gun company that made a full auto .22 rifle known as an American 180. It used a drum mag much like a Lewis Gun.
    A big issue with it was gunk build up using standard 22lr ammo. At the rate of fire it ran it gunked up quickly and would MALF.
    An new cartridge was introduced then to correct that. It was known as the .22 American.
    It was just a .22mag cut down to 22lr length yet loaded with a jacketed 22mag bullet.
    This eased the jamming issue but the ammo was too expensive.
    It didn't catch on then. The cartridges themselves are collector items today.

Regardless, I will give these a try when they become available.
    I have a 10/22 and some 110rd GSG mags that just might run better using this ammo.
    Texas SOT

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    This isn't a new idea.
    Long long ago in a galaxy far far away the was a gun company that made a full auto .22 rifle known as an American 180. It used a drum mag much like a Lewis Gun.
    A big issue with it was gunk build up using standard 22lr ammo. At the rate of fire it ran it gunked up quickly and would MALF.
    An new cartridge was introduced then to correct that. It was known as the .22 American.
    It was just a .22mag cut down to 22lr length yet loaded with a jacketed 22mag bullet.
    This eased the jamming issue but the ammo was too expensive.
    It didn't catch on then. The cartridges themselves are collector items today.

Regardless, I will give these a try when they become available.
    I have a 10/22 and some 110rd GSG mags that just might run better using this ammo.
    While I am aware of the AR180, I have never heard of this 22 American.
    Do you have a link to more info about it?
    Google leads me to no results or info at all really.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Shooting it out of a 16" barrel, I don't see anything wrong with full expansion (pancakes with petals broken off). So is the concern overpenetration (in/out)? I haven't considered shooting regular .22LR (RN or HP) out of a rifle for home defense so I am not sure if Uppercut is an improvement or not if both will overpenetrate.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have read that if the rifle mags were loaded to highest capacity, just two mag dumps would leave the rifle so dirty that you might as well retire from the line and give it a full cleaning. Otherwise it was just too frustrating to try to continue.

2 mags, clean, 2 mags, clean...that could get really boring, really fast.

I doubt I'll ever be able to confirm that with a hands-on test. :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Shooting it out of a 16" barrel, I don't see anything wrong with full expansion (pancakes with petals broken off). So is the concern overpenetration (in/out)? I haven't considered shooting regular .22LR (RN or HP) out of a rifle for home defense so I am not sure if Uppercut is an improvement or not if both will overpenetrate.

It would seem a few fragments would do much less than an intact bullet. Pretty sure we’ve seen that data on here before

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I'll be picking up a few boxes to see how they fare with Utah prairie dogs. Sometimes those bigger dogs take a few minimags and this might be good medicine for the closer dogs I don't want to waste a .223 or .22-250 on.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'll be picking up a few boxes to see how they fare with Utah prairie dogs. Sometimes those bigger dogs take a few minimags and this might be good medicine for the closer dogs I don't want to waste a .223 or .22-250 on.

I'm a fan of the red cloud the 223 BT gives me.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Good on CCI for doing something different. I don't have any use for it. I prefer bigger holes in, ummm, "targets" for self defense.

Top Bottom